Cerwin Vega VS 120 Floorstanding Speakers

3 way bass reflex, 12-in woofer, 4-in mid, 1-in tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 13, 2018]
ojmdc

Strength:

As expected, great bass, though definitely no substitute for a subwoofer, the highs are bright but not overly so, they are pretty sensitive and give you a good bang for your buck wattage-wise. I'm running them on an older carver TFM-35X that probably needs to be recapped and they perform well with all musice type, from jazz to hip hop and classical. These are night and day better than my previous favorites, Bose 701 Series 1, although the bass is suprising close to matching if you place them right, they definitely require A LOT less power to drive at the same volume, they remain clear as high as you care to drive them and so far haven't tripped the breakers.

If used for home theatre some coversation can sound a little muddy, the mids are slightly weak compared to the tweeters and woofers, might just be the ones I picked up are only and may need some guts revamped, the pair I got was not particularly well cared for and they still sound great.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1995
[Sep 26, 2018]
mlescher

Strength:

These are by far the best speakers ever! Amazing sound and superb low end! I bought them brand new at sun appliance when I was oh so very young! I paid a lot of money for them. I think $240 a piece back in the early 90's but they sound just as good today as they did back then. I'm still using my brother's realistic sta-2080 reciever from 1979 to drive them(200 W/ channel). They can Handel it and them some!

None. You may need to re-foam but I still have not needed to!

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1991
[Feb 29, 2016]
Heem

Cerwin-Vega! VS-120 Specs

Type: 12" 3-Way (12", 4", 1")
Frequency Response: 28Hz - 22kHz
Power Handling: 5/250 watts
Sensitivity: 97db
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Crossover Points: 300Hz, 6kHz
Dimensions: 32" x 16.5" x 14.75"
Weight: 57 lbs. each

[Feb 28, 2016]
Dee Based
Audio Enthusiast

I picked these up in almost mint condition for $75/pair in the parking lot of a Jack in the Box in Ahwatukee, Az. Seller was moving to Texas and didn't want to move them halfway across the country. When I saw them in person - I understood why! They are 32" high, 16.5" wide, 14.75" deep and weigh 57 lbs. EACH. After hauling them upstairs to my apartment and hooking them up to a Pioneer Elite receiver, I remembered why I love Cerwin-Vegas so much!

These speakers are incredible. The amount of bottom end they put out just makes everything sound wonderful. Other speakers sound thin and weak, like something from a transistor radio. To me the C-V bass does not overpower the rest of the music, just provides a much fuller, more rich bottom end, all the way down to 28Hz - that's lower than some subs!

These are 20 year old speakers, so the capacitors in the crossovers need to be replaced. I'm using a combo of Obbligatos for the tweet caps, Daytons for the mids, and Bennic electrolytics for the power caps. I'm also replacing the tweeters, which are the weak spot in this otherwise stellar speaker. If you get a set of these, you will experience music like never before. Oh yeah, and since Cerwin-Vega! bills itself as "The LOUD speaker company" I should mention these get LOUD. Like, really loud. Like, shake the building loud. And sound great (low distortion at high volumes) doing it!

[Jan 01, 2016]
Rico martin
Audio Enthusiast

This is my second pair of cerwin vegas my first pair got stolen my Car speakers also got stolen, how ever I fun mine On a 300 watt per channel Kenwood amp and the Vegas kick butt!! They sound much better than my Bose speakers, I was surprised yet the bass response is just awsom!! I love cerwin Vega period!! Only problem I have is that they don't print brochures, so I can't read on them any more? My vs 120's are great!! I wish I could find another pair??? Thank you keep building them please.

[Apr 08, 2014]
cvfan
Audio Enthusiast

Hi there. I am happy to say I'm the proud owner of a set of VS120'S. I also have the 100's and the 80's. The ve5c helps even everything out with movies along with the ve-28 subwoofer for the lows. The overall experience is rather thrilling at least for myself.
These speakers sound great! I love bass but have more than ill ever need till im in a house. (Live in a complex. :-/ These perform well at all levels of audio. I can honestly say as well that yiu would need to spend much more $ to be getting much better of a sound. Great speakers and Very very satisfied.

[Mar 15, 2014]
Dennis
Audio Enthusiast

I picked up these Cerwin-Vega Vs-120s with an onkyo 2 channell amp and a Kenwood home theater amp for a total of 20 bucks which I think is a total steal!

[Dec 13, 2013]
Sheldon
AudioPhile

I run my VS-120 with an SAE MARK IXB preamp to a QSC 1310 power amp. That's up to 375 conservative watts per channel. The gain on the amps is set at 6db and I have never the SAE above 50%. The Vega's sound sweet as the days I bought them. I have boss 901's and acustimas 5's, Infiniti's, definitive technologies and Celestions. All bought after Vegas and I still listen to the SV-120 the most. They are great for all types of music.

[Aug 04, 2012]
big mark
AudioPhile

i run my 1994 vs 120's from an onkyo 304 pre amp into 2 mono mc intosh 1951 mc 30 tube amps at 4 ohms pushing 33 true watts.14 guage wires iv'e had the amps for 40 years every ten years or so they will go thru a tube or so but i've never turned the macs above1/2 gain or the onkyo beyond 1/2 gain can't be in the room with' em listen to eric clapton live at royal albert hall and see what i'm talkin about........30' x 30' room........dare ya to kill em.

[Jul 27, 2012]
Tracy Zoller
AudioPhile

Best Godamn Speakers on the Planet!!