Cerwin Vega VS 120 Floorstanding Speakers

3 way bass reflex, 12-in woofer, 4-in mid, 1-in tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 02, 2020]
trails2follow

Strength:

The strengths are iroc and flannel. Can I get a hell yeah brother?!?! Like many have said previously replace the surrounds because they have seen better days. Power them appropriately and these bad boys will keep up with what ever you want to throw at them

Could upgrade the mids and highs... Can't find enough of them

1992
[Jul 15, 2020]
CurtO

Strength:

Bought my vs-120's at a pawn shop around 10 years ago for 100 bucks. They have been in my Wisconsin garage since exposure to all the cold, hot, humid weather conditions and out lasted 3 different receivers! The receivers succumbed to the humidity. Theses things ROCK! LOTS OF 80'S ROCK AND METAL played through them. BUT yesterday while blasting Eddie Vanhalen's Eruption the mids took a shit. I am sure that guitar solo has taken tougher speakers!

NONE in my opinion.

1992
[Jan 28, 2020]
jkm87

Strength:

Attractive looks, sound good with any genre of music but really come alive on bass heavy tracks. I collect Vegas and they are one of my favorite pair of 12" speakers when I'm in the mood to just rip it and share with my neighbors, lol.

Mids & tweets aren't the greatest, but these speakers weren't exactly meant for critical listening now were they? Lol To everyone that is blowing fuses, mids/tweets: most likely you are severely underpowering them. 75% of Vega owners aren't powering them properly. Yes, they are efficient and will get loud on low wattage stereo receivers/AVR's but when pushed hard those amps will clip and blown fuses/speakers are the outcome. There's a big difference between loud and powerful. VS-120's need a minimum of 200 wpc, but when you give them a good clean 300-500 wpc you will hear what they are truly capable of. Don't believe me? Borrow a high powered amplifier off someone and try it out. I guarantee you that they will perform like you've never heard before!

[Feb 18, 2019]
deafnow

Strength:

I have a pair of VS120s, from app 1995. Surround on woofer needs to be replaced. What are they worth?

I have no idea.....danger of shattering your windows?

700.00
New
1995
[Oct 13, 2018]
ojmdc

Strength:

As expected, great bass, though definitely no substitute for a subwoofer, the highs are bright but not overly so, they are pretty sensitive and give you a good bang for your buck wattage-wise. I'm running them on an older carver TFM-35X that probably needs to be recapped and they perform well with all musice type, from jazz to hip hop and classical. These are night and day better than my previous favorites, Bose 701 Series 1, although the bass is suprising close to matching if you place them right, they definitely require A LOT less power to drive at the same volume, they remain clear as high as you care to drive them and so far haven't tripped the breakers.

If used for home theatre some coversation can sound a little muddy, the mids are slightly weak compared to the tweeters and woofers, might just be the ones I picked up are only and may need some guts revamped, the pair I got was not particularly well cared for and they still sound great.

1995
[Sep 26, 2018]
mlescher

Strength:

These are by far the best speakers ever! Amazing sound and superb low end! I bought them brand new at sun appliance when I was oh so very young! I paid a lot of money for them. I think $240 a piece back in the early 90's but they sound just as good today as they did back then. I'm still using my brother's realistic sta-2080 reciever from 1979 to drive them(200 W/ channel). They can Handel it and them some!

None. You may need to re-foam but I still have not needed to!

New
1991
[Feb 29, 2016]
Heem

Cerwin-Vega! VS-120 Specs

Type: 12" 3-Way (12", 4", 1")
Frequency Response: 28Hz - 22kHz
Power Handling: 5/250 watts
Sensitivity: 97db
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Crossover Points: 300Hz, 6kHz
Dimensions: 32" x 16.5" x 14.75"
Weight: 57 lbs. each

[Feb 28, 2016]
Dee Based
Audio Enthusiast

I picked these up in almost mint condition for $75/pair in the parking lot of a Jack in the Box in Ahwatukee, Az. Seller was moving to Texas and didn't want to move them halfway across the country. When I saw them in person - I understood why! They are 32" high, 16.5" wide, 14.75" deep and weigh 57 lbs. EACH. After hauling them upstairs to my apartment and hooking them up to a Pioneer Elite receiver, I remembered why I love Cerwin-Vegas so much!

These speakers are incredible. The amount of bottom end they put out just makes everything sound wonderful. Other speakers sound thin and weak, like something from a transistor radio. To me the C-V bass does not overpower the rest of the music, just provides a much fuller, more rich bottom end, all the way down to 28Hz - that's lower than some subs!

These are 20 year old speakers, so the capacitors in the crossovers need to be replaced. I'm using a combo of Obbligatos for the tweet caps, Daytons for the mids, and Bennic electrolytics for the power caps. I'm also replacing the tweeters, which are the weak spot in this otherwise stellar speaker. If you get a set of these, you will experience music like never before. Oh yeah, and since Cerwin-Vega! bills itself as "The LOUD speaker company" I should mention these get LOUD. Like, really loud. Like, shake the building loud. And sound great (low distortion at high volumes) doing it!

[Jan 01, 2016]
Rico martin
Audio Enthusiast

This is my second pair of cerwin vegas my first pair got stolen my Car speakers also got stolen, how ever I fun mine On a 300 watt per channel Kenwood amp and the Vegas kick butt!! They sound much better than my Bose speakers, I was surprised yet the bass response is just awsom!! I love cerwin Vega period!! Only problem I have is that they don't print brochures, so I can't read on them any more? My vs 120's are great!! I wish I could find another pair??? Thank you keep building them please.

[Apr 08, 2014]
cvfan
Audio Enthusiast

Hi there. I am happy to say I'm the proud owner of a set of VS120'S. I also have the 100's and the 80's. The ve5c helps even everything out with movies along with the ve-28 subwoofer for the lows. The overall experience is rather thrilling at least for myself.
These speakers sound great! I love bass but have more than ill ever need till im in a house. (Live in a complex. :-/ These perform well at all levels of audio. I can honestly say as well that yiu would need to spend much more $ to be getting much better of a sound. Great speakers and Very very satisfied.