Cerwin Vega Re-38 Floorstanding Speakers

15" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[May 05, 2019]
jeloman

Strength:

Loud, hard hitting speakers.

Cabinets are very large.

Model Year:
1980
Matt

Strength:

No weakness on these bad boys

I have a set of these speakers and it all depends on how much power you have to push them, if you don't have enough power then you're not getting the full effect from these awesome vintage bag boys.

Matt

Strength:

No weakness on these bad boys

Matt

Strength:

No weakness on these bad boys

Matt

Strength:

No weakness on these bad boys

[Mar 24, 2019]
Tony $$$

Strength:

The bass is bad a$$ I love them bought them for my wife in 96 an there still thumping but the hard part is I need to replace the woofers an in can find them anywhere if some knows where I can get them please let me know

None at all

New
[Feb 19, 2019]
harleyjim

Strength:

the sound they crank

they take a lot of power

350 each
New
Model Year:
2001
[Jan 25, 2017]
Chris Comeaux
Casual Listener

When Hurricane Ike was hitting my home town, Port Bolivar Texas on 9/13/08 I was in my house as the water was coming in.I watched as the water was rising on my series 38 speakers.I had more important things to worry about so just let them go.The water got to 1/2 way up the mid range speaker,you can still see the water mark.The pedestal fell off when I was moving them from water damage.I was going to try and open the back and wash them out with fresh water but just let them dry. I plugged them into my Carver A500x amp and CT-23 pre-amp and to my surprise they worked lke they never got wet and they are still working over 8 years later! Awesome speakers still clean and crisp sound from them.When ever they do die they will be replaced by another pair of Cerwin Vega speakers.

[Apr 16, 2016]
ed
Audio Enthusiast

I have a set of these that are powered by Sansui gs22000 220rms the sound at 200 w will not only shake the walls and loosen the nails... you will have to use the washroom due to the bass that passes through you.... so make sure you have a great big meal before you do.. just completely awesome....two thumbs up

[Jan 19, 2012]
harlan
Audio Enthusiast

I'm a huge fan of listening to music the way it's supposed to be heard! And for that reason, I've always been super particular with my sound equipment. I was a teenager when I bought my first high end home stereo system. I worked all year to afford everything i wanted! I bought a "Sony ES STRG8es" for $999.00 (this was when Sony's high end stuff was still real good, unlike now) witch sounded amazing! very clear and powerful sound. Then I bought a pair of "Cerwin Vega RE-38's, at $499 each. i had been gazing at for almost a year, praying i'd be able to get them eventually! And... I finally got them. and had a HQ receiver to play them on. And I gotta say... I was 100% pleased with them! They held up so well, and were so powerful, that I ended up buying a 2nd pair! thats a total of 4 Cerwin Vega RE-38's in 1 room! Oooohh loud! I will agree that the highs weren't exactly as good as i'd liked them to be, but the mids were always real solid i thought. I then bought the Cerwin Vega 15' powered sub (5 15" woofers in 1 room now), and a pair of the Cerwin Vega LS series rear surround sound speakers and a LS center speaker as well. I was never as pleased with the Cerwin Vega LS series. I personally think the "RE" series was some what of the last real solid speaker series Cerwin Vega made. I ended up replacing the Cerwin Vega center and surround speakers with the "Bose Cubes", witch sounded excellent! So now i was running the "RE 38's" as my fronts, the Cerwin Vega 15' powered sub, and "Bose Cubes" for the center and surround speakers. With the Bose Cubes picking up that slack the Vega's had in the "highs" area, it sounded great! I ran this set up for over 10 years! I blew the glass out of the window in this room while rocking out real loud! True story! Also, these speakers come with a fuse safety system witch allows these speakers to be basically un-blowible! Any time the speaker is being pushed to the point of the speaker being put at a risk of blowing, the small little fuse mounted on the back of the box simply pops and cuts the speaker out, so to avoid damage to the speaker. I loved these speakers!

With the start of 2012, i thought it was a good time to upgrade my system. It had been almost 12 years since i bought this system. So I moved the old system down to the den, and decided to upgrade everything, in a big way. First i bought a new receiver. A "Denon ARV-2312CI" for $899.00. This thing sounds awesome. With every possible option you could imagine! Google it! Then for speakers, I decided to go with a brand I'd always wanted but up til now could never afford. And those would be non other then the "Definitive Technology - Bipolar BP-8060ST" tower speakers at $999.00 each, the "Definitive Technology Bipolar CS-8060HD" center channel at $699.00, and the "DEfinitive Technology SR-8040BP" surround speakers at $249.oo each. A quick summary... my new system is by far the best I've ever had or personally even heard! Absolutely phenomenal Everything from Jazz, to Rap, to Rock, to movies! Amazing highs and powerful lows! BUT!... with all the technology i have now, and the massive quality (and price) jump i made here, I STILL absolutely love the old sound system, and she still is actively kept alive in the den on almost a daily basis.

So I guess in comparing the Cerwin Vega RE-38's to the hi tech ,high quality and high priced "Definitive Bipolar BP8060ST" series that i'm currently running , how would I personally say they hold up?... Very nicely! Obviously the "Definitives" sound better. More clear, and wide ranging. There a much higher speaker on the totem poll. However, I absolutely love my "Cerwin Vega RE-38's"! I still rock out to them in my den all the time! And would never part with them! Those bad boys seriously ROCK! If i was a shopper looking for something in the fields of what this discussion is about, I personally would jump on the chance to grab a pair of these if in good condition and for a fair price.

My personal rating for the "Cerwin-Vega RE-38'":