Cerwin Vega Re-30 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

3 way bass reflex - 12" Woofer, 4" Mid and 1" Tweeter

USER REVIEWS

markcharness@gmail.com

Strength:

I can't say enough about these speakers! I bought them in 1996. I heard my neighbors system and decided that I wanted a system. I went to Best buy and bought everything I wanted. These RE 30's stuck out the first time I cranked them at about 1/4 ways up. My neighbor immediately came over and was floored by the sound, especially the pounding bass. He said, Dude, you didn't f#@k around did you!? They have been in use every since. If you can, hold on to them as they do not make a quality speaker for this kind of value! You WILL regret getting rid of them!

[May 04, 2019]
Matt

Strength:

These speakers are very loud but sound amazing! I would recomend these if you dont want any seperate subs or tweeters in a home theater or just for listening to music! These speakers should be valued at a thousand brand new atleast! These put beats to shame and even bose cant beat these things!

Weight is the only defect on these, a small price to pay for such a good outcome.

Used
[Oct 29, 2017]
Adam
Audio Enthusiast

I've had my RE30s for almost 20 years and they sound great - Cerwin Vega has always had great balance of quality and value for what you pay...

[Jan 05, 2016]
DL Renollet
Audio Enthusiast

I'm finally able to return to the sounds I dreamed of as a youth.

I heard CV made the 'sensurround' setups in the theaters, (which I heard for myself in 74). I have no doubt this is part of their pedigree. I don't have a Klipsch Cornwall budget, or...what have you. Picked these up for $200. Of course they can be loud, but I've been doing some listening at low to medium levels with my Carver TFM-45, (cheap Kenwood preamp), and CD source material. I like them for more than just room shaking, (which they *will* do), but I'm an old jazz rocker. Donald Fagen Nightfly sounds great, Grover Washington Inner City Blues was really dynamic if not startling. Phil Keaggy - (the song wtihin) lots of acoustic guitar - really shined. (shone?) Dream Theater--rocks, and these are built for just that but I think the CVRE30s actually benefit from cleaner source material. It's a soul upgrade for me for sure.

[Nov 29, 2015]
Bruce
Casual Listener

Ive had mine for years now..still going strong you can break windows with
these things no doubt about it.

[May 02, 2015]
Axl_Rose
AudioPhile

I picked these up on Craigslist about two months ago for $175 and I consider them to be a good buy. They certainly are not going to compete with the likes of B&W, Paradigm or others but, they hold they're own considering the age of them.

I am running these in a dedicated 2.0 system that rotates in various vintage amps including a Sony TA-77ES, Onkyo M-504, Yamaha MX-800 and a Carver THX 35. Currently, running on the MX-800 with the amp gain at 5db (half of it's max of 10db) and while not the most polished sound, they have a lively, wide and even sound stage at about 8ft apart. Pretty good detailing I might add although, not as good my Monitor Audio Silver 8i's. I've been playing various genres and they handle it all well. I was using an Emotiva ERC-3 transport (CD player), Onkyo P-304 pre and Audioquest Evergreen cabling. SPL reading was 94.5db at 1m centered between the speakers. Volume on the pre-amp set to the 9 o'clock position.

Up first was The Grateful Dead 's "American Beauty". Overall sound was smooth and consistent, nothing sound garbled or harsh. I would call the overall sound warm and a touch laid back. It almost reminded me of listening to an old stereo hi-fi console. The funky little guitar riff in "Truckin" was clear and well pronounced in the right channel.

I popped in Four Non Blondes track "What's Up" and the bass was smooth without sounding overly exaggerated. The mids clear but, the highs seemed harsh and not as refined as the Dead's CD. Okay enough is enough. I had to stop listening.

Next up, The Four Horsemen, "Nobody Said It Was Easy" which has been my go to blusey, metal rocker as of late. Guitars and bass were reproduced nicely but, damn the cymbals and vocals were downright overly exaggerated to the point of being "essy" sounding. Too bright for me.

Spun up Sheryl Crow and found much the same across all tracks. Nice, warm and mellow sounding mids, clean, smooth bass and harsh, thin, overly essy sounding highs.

Overall, the RE-30's have a really nice vintage sound but, the highs can be a bit thin sounding and overpowering at the same time. What I found was that on slower, less demanding music, these things will really sing. I spun up some "Where Am I Gonna Live" by Billy Ray Cyrus and while the issues with the highs were still present, they were diminished enough to have an enjoyable listening experience.

Where I found that these things really showed some competence was on Jazz. With the likes of Diana Krall, Halie Loren or Renee Olstead. The detailing was well defined so that I was able to hear the singer breathe in.

Final thoughts - No separate woofer required. In fact, adding one would diminish the sound of the RE-30's. Cool trip down memory lane for a decent vintage sound on a budget if you pair it with the right amp. They hold they're own in the mid's and bass but, where they start getting a little thin is in the higher registers. This can cause them to sound a bit "essy" sounding. I definitely like them better my Cerwin Vega E-310's.

[Oct 15, 2014]
Anthony
Audio Enthusiast

Not sure of the year. I bought the pair for $50 needing a refoam job. I refoamed them and treated the cones with Mod Podge.(Not sure of spelling , but I found it in my Mother's craft closet) They sound amazing pushed with my Carver ,old school MXR130 "The Receiver" .I have had a lot of speakers and these are the ones I'm gonna just keep. I love how they rock the whole house.

[Sep 29, 2014]
nathan
Audio Enthusiast

awesome loud will handle any power you thro at em. only problem ive had is blowing tweeters.