Cerwin Vega DX 7 Floorstanding Speakers

DX 7

3 way bass reflex - 12" Woofer, 6.5" Mid, 1" Tweeter

Adam   AudioPhile [Sep 22, 2012]

I bought these new in 1996,i believe for about 750.00 a set from sears..They are big, bulky and heavy compaired to the Genesis 20's i was using at the time but i needed a set to handle my QSC amp.I never regretted buying them in all these years,except for some blown fuses now and then from a heavy volume, these handle high volumes with ease! For most modern music i prefer them 12 ft apart,8 inches elevated off the floor and 100 watts plus they come alive.They are very efficent,clean and low when set flat on the eq, but they do like 100 watts and up so no wimpy amps will do.The finish is vinly,easy to maintain..Like all aged foam speaker surrounds they do rot...Mine lasted until last year..I was surprised when i rebuilt them that these DX-7 have a huge bumped and vented magnet,very high quality cast frame.The crossover's are well built as well...All in all i feel their great speakers for the price compaired to todays offerings and alas their made in USA.

kat   AudioPhile [Apr 20, 2011]

I have owned my DX 7's for 17 years. Purchased at Sears for $500.00.( The DX 9's wouldn't fit in my car). I have never regretted my choice. Coupled with an Onkyo TX SV-727 they have both served me, and my neighbors 2 1/2 miles down the road flawlessly. Once my brother blew the fuses in one of them, ran down to Radio Shack and problem solved. I have recenlty downsized to a Sony Bravia home theater. While I am happy with the swap because I can fit furniture in the corners the speakers were in , I dont think I will ever be "impressed" with the sound for my music. For the money, they were and are the best choice and as far as lasting power I cant complain, $5 bucks for fuses once in nearly 20 years! I started searching online to see how to price these for sale. But now Im not so sure I can part with them.

Elvad   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 19, 2010]

Combined with a powerful Onkyo amplifier, these are the ONLY 'home' audio speakers I could not yell over. I mean at the top of my lungs screaming, the guy 2 feet away from me had no idea what I said. The highest quality home audio speaker I have ever come across, period. Rated at 255 watts, I had a roommate blow the fuses in both speakers at the same time....the speakers are fine. The roommate is gone. Stupid happy with my purchase from Sears (really!) years ago. Thank you Cerwin Vega!!! These 75+ pound speakers have been well worth the effort of moving them over the years! I do not know of a better quality home speaker, outstanding quality, worth every penny. Thanks Again!! Your devoted audiophile, Elvad.

David Murabito   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 01, 2009]

It's me David again. It's been almost 10 years since I last posted on here. Go find my posting on March 13, 2000. Guess what- I still have the same DX-7s. I even have the same Optimus receiver! I had to refoam the woofers last year and now they are tight again. I have since bought 2 more so now I have 4 of them in my living room. They sound as great as the day I bought them from Sears back in the 90s. I recently bought a pair of DX-9s and refoamed them. These monsters have earth pounding bass, smooth mids, and mind blowing highs. I listen to Rock, Country, R&B, and Jazz. The DX series plays everything perfect. I will continue to post every 10 years to show you the quality of these speakers and that I am proof that Cerwin Vega stands the test of time.

Arby   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 09, 2008]
Strength:

My home came pre-installed with Polk in-wall speakers. They have no presence at all. The DX-7's FILL the room with sound. Subwoofer? I don't need no stinkin' subwoofer. I'm thrilled to go home and listen to music on the DX-7s

None.

I lost out on a local pair of DX-5s on ebay a month earlier and was thrilled to bid on the DX-7s when they were offered for local pickup only. I paid only $70 for the pair. Best $70 I ever spent.

I am very pleased with my purchase. I haven't turned up the volume on my receiver over 1/2 way because these things are LOUD. I put a pair of JBL 4408's on top and they sound perfect. It fills the room with sound. I don't get tired listening to them.

I found a guy on craigslist who is selling an additional pair. Hopefully they aren't sold yet. My neighbors are going to love me.

Bob Shannon   AudioPhile [Oct 22, 2004]

Just a quick post script--- Ever notice Jerry Seinfeld had a pair of DX-7's in his apartment on his TV show? just some cool trivia....

Bob Shannon   AudioPhile [Oct 21, 2004]
Strength:

With duel ported 15's you don't need a seperate sub. Being 6 olm nominal imp. they are extremely efficient and loud loud loud!!-yet VERY articulate.

These suckers are HUGE!! Nearly 4 ft tall and 100 pounds! (but being so big and heavy, they really "connect" with the room)

I remember the weeks leading up to my purchase, when I was going to the audio shop almost every day. I kept listening to the Bose, then the Cerwins. I had been brainwashed by the Bose propaganda. My mind did not want to believe what my ears were telling it. The Cerwin Vega DX-9's blew the 901's away! I have had these speakers for over 10 years now, and even after all that time they still impress me. You guys with you DX-7's would not believe the bottom end and articulate mid and high response of these monsters! I have considered over the years replacing them but you can't hold a candle to them for less than $1,000! These speakers have made me a life-long Cerwin Vega loyalist. Cerwin Vega is a positive example of American quality. We (americans)can still make a killer, affordable product. I will never buy any other kind of speaker-ever. Being a musician in a local band, when it came time to purchase a P.A. system, it was Cerwin Vega pro audio all the way. I constantly hear from patrons who come to see us how incredible we sound (just like the cd). I contribute a lot of this to Cerwin Vega's eginuity and obvious pride in quality. These guys are not joking around! (and they didn't pay me to write this)

Similar Products Used: Cerwin Vega V-152's Cerwin Vega 18" folded horn subwoofers (can't remember the model number)
WH   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 06, 2002]
Strength:

Aggressive, ballsy, big sound yet detailed and very articulate. Rock solid build quality.

Is a bit lacking in the imaging and depth areas.

I bought these in November of '01 from a pawn shop. Paid a lot for them but I had to have them. I had been using a pair of DX 5's which I thought were fine, until I got these. The speaker itself is much larger than the DX 5, and weighs 69 lbs. apiece compared to 44 lbs. for the DX 5. The vioice coil for the woofer is 2.06" and the magnet is a big one, although I am not sure how much it weighs. The literature may have claimed that the tweeters on the DX series were all the same, but I own a pair of 5's and 7's and I assure you the tweeter on the 7 is a bit different. The midrange is also larger and built better than on the DX 5. There is a big difference in sound between these two speakers. The DX 7 has slighlty deeper bass, but the real impressive part is that the bass is far more controlled and there is much better pitch definition than with the DX 5. The bass is very strong but not boomy. I have noticed guitars are more aggressive sounding, more exciting; bigger sounding is maybe a good way to put it. This is possibly due to the different mid range driver (6.5" vs. 4" on the DX 5) and the different crossover points. Whatever the reason, it sounds fantastic. The treble is also excellent. Strong top end without being harsh or piercing. High hats "tick", ride cymbals have a well defined ring to them, and lead guitar solos are smooth and open sounding yet still very aggressive. I absolutly love these speakers and feel it could easily be the last pair of speakers I buy for many years. They perform well on anything from Jewel to Fleetwood Mac to the Who. I have yet to be dissapointed with the DX 7's. Music always sounds accurately reproduced and very engaging to listen to, never fatigueing. I will say that in my experience, and from hearing the experiences of others, it is important to pair these, or any CV for that matter, with a good quality, high current amp. I use an Onkyo Integra A-8700 which is capable of driving speakers with impedence ratings of 2 ohms. It is a high current, Class A amp which puts out about 225-240 watts per channel to the Vega's and it sounds great, especially with vinyl.

Similar Products Used: CV DX 5, different JBL's
Listenup   Audio Enthusiast [May 29, 2002]
Strength:

Big tight bass, solid mids, and good highs.

Plain looks with grill on. Pop that baby off and show the CV orange.

Anyone who rates these speakers a 1 isn’t being fair. Let’s be truthful, a 1 should mean the product is faulty or doesn’t work. I’ve had my CV DX 7’s for about 7 years... (What does than make them in human years?) ...and they’re still going strong. They’ve been relegated, temporarily, to surround status. They were benched when the PSB Gold i’s moved in. While they may not be the number one player anymore, they are still a great speaker. These mid-sized rock and roll speakers (about 70 lbs. each) are adept at giving a fair voice to all music and handle both music and home theater chores with an aged grace. Until just recently I’d convinced myself that I wouldn’t part with these babies, but with the new PSBs, and a new house with media room in the works, I may just bid farewell to the DX 7’s. I hate to think about these bangers sitting by and rotting in some dusty attic, or being relegated to garage duty. That’s why God created bookshelf systems. No, these tributes to bass deserve to be sold to some high school pup still trying to impress that future Mrs. Pup and they can rock on all through the night. Final Points: Solid bass, good mids and highs. High end?...No. Low end?..Definitely NOT! Just a good hardy and honest rock and roll speaker. If you can find these at a good price, buy them, crank them, and love them.