Cerwin Vega D-9 Floorstanding Speakers

Cerwin Vega D-9 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

15" Woofer, (2)6" Mids and 1" Tweeter (1984-1992)

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 12, 2019]
MalakaiMalice

Strength:

Found them on the side of the road.... seriously.... It was less than half a block up so I walked them to my garage to check out later for parts— fast forward to moving day a year later, told my buddy to trash them as to not make the cut to the new, cleaner garage.... He mentioned that some of the older speakers were made better so I told him to google them... Woweww... ok these r legendary but, surely, this pair had been discarded for a reason.... I hooked them up to my old surround sound Yamaha receiver.... they worked perfectly.... A reform kit later and they are 8.5/10 in appearance and 10/10 performance... Honestly, I want to check the wiring and properly push them to see what they can do.... even the fuses were intact, either this guy died or cheated on his GF because he could have got $500 no problem, and I definitely didn’t live in a rich neighborhood

Mid, his need updating with new tweets and/ or additional speakers to fill the gap if you want well rounded output and not rock-influenced equalization

1984
[Jun 09, 2019]
LikitLoud

Strength:

Iconic large 80s speakers. I am driving my fronts on a large surround setup with a Carver M500t MKii, output is rated at 400 watts per channel at 8ohms. I love loud music, but have never had to max out anything to acheive front row rock concert levels. I added AR4s that add midrange and treble as well as front effects from my Yamaha RX-V2600. If your an 80s rocker like me, these are hard to beat and still very reasonable compared to the current stolen name stuff from China available new. How does an 8 inch speaker compare to my 92 lb Vegas? They don't ;) Also running a restored pair of Cerwin Vega 417r speakers in the rear driven by an NAD216. My wife is a very understanding soul that allows our living room to have some interesting end tables.

A little muddy on midrange and treble, but you cant tell when the volume hits the right levels.

[Sep 16, 2018]
alfranci

Strength:

Solid powerhouse speakers! I bought mine in 1987, they where demo speakers a Shaack electronics in Lakehurst mall ( both gone now) Had these re-foamed in 2013, and my receiver (Toshiba sa-7100) rebuilt in 2017 (Sounds Classic Rockford IL.) my neighbors LOVE me...

They experimented with wire gage size internally to the crossovers, so, if one is louder than the other, pull the woofers, and check wire size to balance.

1977
[Apr 19, 2018]
adogami

Strength:

So this is an update of my original review on this site from August of 2007 under aponce80. Having owned these speakers for over 10 years now, I can vouch for what others have stated. A simple home theater receiver will just not cut it with these speakers. I started out with an entry level Pioneer receiver used as a pre/pro mated with a vintage Adcom GFA-555 power amplifier. I was also using some Infinity loudspeakers along with the C-V's as I felt the mids and highs on the D-9's were lacking with this combo although the bass impact was out of this world. Anyway, fast forward 10 years and I am now powering the D-9's with a Yamaha M-80 power amplifier and using a Yamaha Aventage receiver as a pre/pro. The mids and highs on the D-9's are much improved by this combo (even at lower volume levels) and the all important bass impact is present whenever the program material calls for it. Suffice to say; the Infinity's are long gone and the D-9's are still cranking out the tunes 10 years later!!!

The only real weakness from a consumer standpoint is, even though they are extremely efficient, they do need power to really shine. The more wattage your amplifier of choice has on tap the better, especially at lower volume levels. Also, prices have been going up over the years. Although this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it shows people are beginning to appreciate them, it appears that the days of scoring a pair (in good condition, with original components) for not a lot of $$ are over. Last but not least, the woofer surrounds are made of foam and will deteriorate over time (usually 15+ years).

1987
[Apr 15, 2018]
MrTnT

Strength:

I got a pair of Cerwin Vega U-351’s from my In-Laws, and that started me off. Cerwin Vegas are amazing and simple, I know there are a lot of speakers that are rated much better but they have withstood the test of time. Although they have been dubbed great “Rock Speeakers”, they play in my opinion (I am surely not an Audiophile) just about anything clean with the right system and some processing. I am from the Caribbean so of course among all genres of music that I love, I listen to a lot of Calypso, Soca, Reggae, etc. The D-9 is truly a powerful old school legend.

If I am forced to point out any weaknesses, the foam surrounds get sticky, dry rot and tear apart over time just like the rest of us 😜

1992
[Dec 20, 2016]
DAVID
Audio Enthusiast

MY CERWIN VEGA D 9'S , HAVE BEEN A GREAT JOY FOR THE LAST 28 YEAR'S I HAVE OWNED THEM, THEY STILL LOOK AS GOOD AND SOUND AS GOOD TODAY AS THE DAY I GOT THEM. UNBELIEVABLY WARM SOUNDING THROUGH MY 1978 LAFAYETTE 90 WPC RECEIVER THAT GIVES THEM PLENTY OF VINTAGE POWER. BUT I HAVE HEARD THE D9'S THROUGH A 250 WPC MACINTOSH AND IT SOUND LIKE A LIVE BAND PLAYING RIGHT THERE !!! AWESOME.

[Aug 01, 2016]
Kevin
Audio Enthusiast

These are one of the best speakers ever built still rockin these babies today with my yamaha mx 1000 have almost 30 years of play on the D9's had to replace one woofer do to decay I would buy another set of they were reproduced try and find a speaker 104 db 1 watt 1 metre

[Feb 21, 2014]
Doug Pitcairn
Audio Enthusiast

Cerwin Vega D9 noun 1) God of thunder 2) AWESOME.... 3) the eviction king etc etc

If you want to really reach nirvana, run them with a Yamaha P5000 power amp. (or equivalent, these speakers play well with a small amp, but really REALLY perform with more power....a lot more power....the more power, the better...

I agree with the others.. absolutely THE BEST "70s heavy rock" speaker ever built...

I played the bomb drop from Floyd's "Final Cut", and the neighbours came runnin out of the house lookin skyward!

OZZY's "No More Tears" is incredible...

and "Dark Side of the Moon" is a journey to the other side...

Rock ON!

[Nov 18, 2013]
Rusty
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a new pair in '88, I still use them, only had the surrounds replaced once. For the money, " There is no better rock speaker available" I have heard many many speakers in my audio tenure, and purchased at least 8 different brands and styles, towers, monkey coffins like the D-9's, and mega array small driver towers , etc etc. There is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for the D-9's. The AT-15's were good, had a little better tweeter, but always shut off at high volumes I have NEVER had this with the D-9's.
They sound much better at loud volumes. for Metal/rock, they shine, and blues, they do sound quite perfect with Gary Moore's guitar, sounding like its right in the room with you(RIP)
I have recently acquired another pair, and plan to refoam them and get many more years from both pairs.

NO, they are not perfect, and h ave a fairly rough tweeter sound, but when it comes to rock and just being a reliable speaker, you ARE getting your moneys worth from them.
These are not Infinity Kappa's, or Martin logans, B&W, or Wharfedale's they are Cerwin Vegas, so you KNOW what you will get. they are clear at very loud volumes, and are very reliable. what nmore can you ask for.

hands down, one of if not THE best rock speaker ever produced.
if yoou say Klipschorns, your nuts, that horn tweeter is so tinny and ear shattering, its uncomfortable to listen, where as these D-9's are wonderful.

R.I.P. Cerwin Vega - you had a great run.

[Jun 17, 2013]
Kim
Audio Enthusiast

I drive them with a Yamaha M-40 [120wrmspc@8ohms 20 to 20,000 Hz @<= 0.003% THD]. It,s far from being enought to drive them to their full potential, but it's seriously the most powerfull sound I've ever had. The bass is so strong I had to re-inforce the wall behind one of em! I'm looking around for a more powerfull amp ('caus I really want my ears to bleed...). Meanwhile, I use it as my main stereo and altho they're in the basement and the amp isn't pushing em much, we can barely ear someone scream out loud on the first floor when they are blasting. I swear you can feel the basement's concrete shake!

Paid 300$ from an ex-DJ friend who had em rebuilt but wasn't using them yet. My only deception is that I don't have enought money to buy more of theses, and buy the amps to drive them!