Cerwin Vega D-9 Floorstanding Speakers

Cerwin Vega D-9 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

15" Woofer, (2)6" Mids and 1" Tweeter (1984-1992)

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 19, 2018]
adogami

Strength:

So this is an update of my original review on this site from August of 2007 under aponce80. Having owned these speakers for over 10 years now, I can vouch for what others have stated. A simple home theater receiver will just not cut it with these speakers. I started out with an entry level Pioneer receiver used as a pre/pro mated with a vintage Adcom GFA-555 power amplifier. I was also using some Infinity loudspeakers along with the C-V's as I felt the mids and highs on the D-9's were lacking with this combo although the bass impact was out of this world. Anyway, fast forward 10 years and I am now powering the D-9's with a Yamaha M-80 power amplifier and using a Yamaha Aventage receiver as a pre/pro. The mids and highs on the D-9's are much improved by this combo (even at lower volume levels) and the all important bass impact is present whenever the program material calls for it. Suffice to say; the Infinity's are long gone and the D-9's are still cranking out the tunes 10 years later!!!

The only real weakness from a consumer standpoint is, even though they are extremely efficient, they do need power to really shine. The more wattage your amplifier of choice has on tap the better, especially at lower volume levels. Also, prices have been going up over the years. Although this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it shows people are beginning to appreciate them, it appears that the days of scoring a pair (in good condition, with original components) for not a lot of $$ are over. Last but not least, the woofer surrounds are made of foam and will deteriorate over time (usually 15+ years).

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1987
[Apr 15, 2018]
MrTnT

Strength:

I got a pair of Cerwin Vega U-351’s from my In-Laws, and that started me off. Cerwin Vegas are amazing and simple, I know there are a lot of speakers that are rated much better but they have withstood the test of time. Although they have been dubbed great “Rock Speeakers”, they play in my opinion (I am surely not an Audiophile) just about anything clean with the right system and some processing. I am from the Caribbean so of course among all genres of music that I love, I listen to a lot of Calypso, Soca, Reggae, etc. The D-9 is truly a powerful old school legend.

If I am forced to point out any weaknesses, the foam surrounds get sticky, dry rot and tear apart over time just like the rest of us 😜

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1992
[Dec 20, 2016]
DAVID
Audio Enthusiast

MY CERWIN VEGA D 9'S , HAVE BEEN A GREAT JOY FOR THE LAST 28 YEAR'S I HAVE OWNED THEM, THEY STILL LOOK AS GOOD AND SOUND AS GOOD TODAY AS THE DAY I GOT THEM. UNBELIEVABLY WARM SOUNDING THROUGH MY 1978 LAFAYETTE 90 WPC RECEIVER THAT GIVES THEM PLENTY OF VINTAGE POWER. BUT I HAVE HEARD THE D9'S THROUGH A 250 WPC MACINTOSH AND IT SOUND LIKE A LIVE BAND PLAYING RIGHT THERE !!! AWESOME.

[Aug 01, 2016]
Kevin
Audio Enthusiast

These are one of the best speakers ever built still rockin these babies today with my yamaha mx 1000 have almost 30 years of play on the D9's had to replace one woofer do to decay I would buy another set of they were reproduced try and find a speaker 104 db 1 watt 1 metre

[Feb 21, 2014]
Doug Pitcairn
Audio Enthusiast

Cerwin Vega D9 noun 1) God of thunder 2) AWESOME.... 3) the eviction king etc etc

If you want to really reach nirvana, run them with a Yamaha P5000 power amp. (or equivalent, these speakers play well with a small amp, but really REALLY perform with more power....a lot more power....the more power, the better...

I agree with the others.. absolutely THE BEST "70s heavy rock" speaker ever built...

I played the bomb drop from Floyd's "Final Cut", and the neighbours came runnin out of the house lookin skyward!

OZZY's "No More Tears" is incredible...

and "Dark Side of the Moon" is a journey to the other side...

Rock ON!

[Nov 18, 2013]
Rusty
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a new pair in '88, I still use them, only had the surrounds replaced once. For the money, " There is no better rock speaker available" I have heard many many speakers in my audio tenure, and purchased at least 8 different brands and styles, towers, monkey coffins like the D-9's, and mega array small driver towers , etc etc. There is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for the D-9's. The AT-15's were good, had a little better tweeter, but always shut off at high volumes I have NEVER had this with the D-9's.
They sound much better at loud volumes. for Metal/rock, they shine, and blues, they do sound quite perfect with Gary Moore's guitar, sounding like its right in the room with you(RIP)
I have recently acquired another pair, and plan to refoam them and get many more years from both pairs.

NO, they are not perfect, and h ave a fairly rough tweeter sound, but when it comes to rock and just being a reliable speaker, you ARE getting your moneys worth from them.
These are not Infinity Kappa's, or Martin logans, B&W, or Wharfedale's they are Cerwin Vegas, so you KNOW what you will get. they are clear at very loud volumes, and are very reliable. what nmore can you ask for.

hands down, one of if not THE best rock speaker ever produced.
if yoou say Klipschorns, your nuts, that horn tweeter is so tinny and ear shattering, its uncomfortable to listen, where as these D-9's are wonderful.

R.I.P. Cerwin Vega - you had a great run.

[Jun 17, 2013]
Kim
Audio Enthusiast

I drive them with a Yamaha M-40 [120wrmspc@8ohms 20 to 20,000 Hz @<= 0.003% THD]. It,s far from being enought to drive them to their full potential, but it's seriously the most powerfull sound I've ever had. The bass is so strong I had to re-inforce the wall behind one of em! I'm looking around for a more powerfull amp ('caus I really want my ears to bleed...). Meanwhile, I use it as my main stereo and altho they're in the basement and the amp isn't pushing em much, we can barely ear someone scream out loud on the first floor when they are blasting. I swear you can feel the basement's concrete shake!

Paid 300$ from an ex-DJ friend who had em rebuilt but wasn't using them yet. My only deception is that I don't have enought money to buy more of theses, and buy the amps to drive them!

[Feb 27, 2013]
jm1102
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my D-9's one week before I went into residence in 1988 for $1000 (much to my mother's shagrin). Apparently she didn't think it was good use of my studen loan -- I disagree. I just had a cheap 100w/ch amp which wasn't giving the D-9s much of a workout so I rented a 400w/ch dj amp and put the speakers out in the hallway during frosh week. Not only did they handle the full load of the amp they sounded awesome with almost no distortion at all a full volume. They were also 'walking' down the hallway at a rate of a half inch/sec from the massive vibration of the woofers!! So we had to put weights on top of them :-). But it only lasted about a half hour until the don came up from his dorm in the basement and shut us down. He said he could feel the walls vibrating in his room and it sounded like we were just above him on the ground floor -- we were on the 4th! They definately contributed to me getting kicked out of rez within a few months :-)

25 years later, they are still going strong and sound great (although the cabinets have taken a bit of a beating from all the moves/parties/pets over the years). I did have the tweeters replaced because the original tweeters weren't very good and I had the woofers refoamed and some of the wiring redone. All in, I probably only put $250-$300 in to them.

I run them with a Carver TFM-35x power amp which I bought on eBay about 5 years ago for $300 (and is also over 20 years old) and that is a match made in heaven. The efficiency of the D9s makes it efforless for the Carver to pump massive amounts of rich, clean sound through them. There is something about the (some of) the quality audio at very reasonable prices from the late 80's and early 90's that you just cant' get today. Even Cervin Vega speakers dropped trastically in quality around '92 or '93 (not sure exactly) when they wanted to reach a broader market and got into the big retailers. That's why I've seen D9s pre '92 go for upwards of $1000/pr on eBay when they are refurbished (with different tweeters) and in excellent shape.
I would say that if you can get a pair refurbished or buy them as is and get them refurbished yourself for $500-$600 all in, then you are getting a bargin.

[Jun 11, 2012]
mddaniels
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a pair of Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers from a garage sale for $30 for the pair ($15 each) I am not kidding when I say I did not know what I was getting. I thought the speakers probably didn't sound all that great since I got them so cheaply. But I was pleasantly surprised when I brought them home and hooked them up - totally awesome !!! They did need new foams but I got a kit off e-bay for $29.95 + $10 for shipping. So for a grand total of $70 I got a pair of Cerwin Vegas that look and sound like new - I told my son that I should see how much I can sell them for on e-bay, but he persuaded me to keep them - He said "Dad - we have never had speakers that sound this good - and I doubt you'll ever find another pair like this for $30. Please don't sell them!!!" Okay - I suppose he is right.

I did notice that some higher frequency sounds were missing - like others who have reviewed this speaker, but I added a set of high frequency surround sound speakers (I have a quad channel AKAI stereo receiver) for a perfect combination of Bass, mid-range, and high range. I can hear sounds (pleasant ones) from music that I never knew were there. I thank the Lord for putting me in the right place at the right time to get these speakers - some have paid up to $1000 for a pair of these and say they are worth it - yeh they are - but my wife would never let me spend that much on speakers !!!

[Aug 13, 2010]
freemark
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my D9's in 1985 against a lot of opposition by my brother who was hooked on BOSE. I still have them, having transported them to Europe and back, really glad i did, too. Had the foams replaced a couple of yeoars ago.

Loudness Yes, distortion No. Excellence: superior

They've been well worth the effort to keep them - I'm still convinced they're the best out there.