Celestion A3 Floorstanding Speakers

A3

8" Woofer, 7" Mid and 1" Tweeter

nigel   Audio Enthusiast [May 11, 2017]

In one word........................................Fantastic.... No two!............awesome, well that is all they need to describe them, nothing more!

Bryan McKinlay   AudioPhile [Nov 02, 2015]

I even bought a pair of A2's (the worst of the 3 A series) to get my hands on spare drivers just in case. I now drive the A3's with a Krell KSA-250 as my previous amp didn't do them justice. Looked at lots of speakers under 4k and haven't replaced them yet

phud   AudioPhile [Oct 21, 2013]

i have had these speakers almost 20 years now. i have had almost every other speaker worth mentioning under 10k on my 2-channel side and these are still among the best speakers i have ever owned. they just don't do anything wrong. I think i read that they were under priced when they came out AND THEY ARE STILL BETTER THAT MOST $3K - $4K- speakers.

nincoman132   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 25, 2013]

just wanted to add this....
i have had just about all the celestion speakers that are worth mentioning. sl600's ditton 44's 66's 551's A compacts A1's A3's celestion 100's 300's ditton 10's etc on and on.
just to clear some thing up here the clestion a3's are great period!! you guys keep going on about this amp that amp they need a good amp. well i have just a simple 70 wpc pioneer a9 amplifier and to my ears apart from ditton 66's the A3's are the best speakers i have owned.
i use them most days and never get tired of listening to them.
dont get me wrong guys, i am not moaning about you who have got money to spend on massive quallity amplifiers. i just think some times this puts perspective buyers off when they hear "needs a good amp" .all speakers benifit from a "good amp". all amps benifit from "good speakers". sorry to moan but i love celestions! just got a pair of ul10's awesome speakers!!

RonRoyce   AudioPhile [May 18, 2012]

Pro's - Astounding extended bass. Fast, fluid midrange. Crisp, detailed top end.

Con's - Siting is critical. Large/non box shaped room required. Very fussy about amplification. Because they are a 4 ohm design you need current and lots of it. They will be ruthless with anything that is not up to scratch.

Current set up:- Linn LP12/Lingo/Ekos/AT-OC9, Musical Fidelity TriVista 300, Celestion A3, Musical Fidelity A3 CD player. Chord Chorus interconnects. Kimber 8TC speaker cables.

Lets get one thing straight. Anybody that talks about bass rolling off at 50Hz has either not using powerful enough amplification or has sited them incorrectly. I can tell you these speakers produce bass to 25Hz easily - BUT siting and partnering equipment is absolutely critical. First, siting. Too close to any flat walls and the bass wipes out everything. Across any room (unless it is at least 4m) you can forget extended bass, it just doesn't happen. Bay windowed rooms (not square) are actually ideal - if you can site them so they sit within the vertical boundary of the bay window you can achieve a very good sound balance, but experimentation is vital. Second, amplification. Any amp that is not designed to drive into 4 ohms or less - and that is an awful lot of kit - is useless. Amps that lack ability to deliver current can't control the bass units of a 4 ohm design and any sense of detail or extension will be lost - and if fact will damage your speakers - usually the tweeters will overheat because of amp clipping issues. The absolute minimum I would consider for these speakers is 100WPC RMS into 8 ohms with the ability to pretty much double that into 4 - any less than a 75% increase of power into 4 ohms and the amp isn't designed with a 4 ohm load in mind. This may give you clues into what you need to do to get the best out of the A3's. If you don't pay attention to these two items particularly prepare to be disappointed.

With my current setup the bass is staggeringly powerful, extended and detailed. They reproduce dynamics and transients I simply haven't heard until the MF amp replaced my old NAD 2600. The NAD could go deep as NAD's deliver quite happily into 4 ohms, but it was not exactly detailed. The midrange is sweet, full and gives shape and timbre to instruments and vocals to a level that still surprises me to this day. And the top end...you can almost reach out and touch the cymbals of a drumkit they sound so real. The sheer ability to extract realism from good recordings is uncanny. But the real icing on the cake is how effortless they sound when you push them. Nothing changes - they just get louder. And with recordings with serious bass - such as Madonna's Ray Of Light - you will FEEL it too!

If you can find a pair of A3's and you can afford to give them the kit they deserve plus the space they need, you will be rewarded with a sound that is very hard to beat unless you are prepared to spend serious money. I am going to struggle to replace these when that time eventually comes. Homework is mandatory, investment in decent amplification is highly probable. But its worth every penny.

kevin   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 01, 2011]

If you can find a pair second hand you will be in for a treat. Of all the speakers i have owned only a few come close to the A3's. In the right room with the right components these will really sing. All of the A series are great. I have the A1's and have had the A compacts, never had the chance to own a pair of A2's. I enjoy the sound of the speakers greatly.

Musiclover2   AudioPhile [Mar 03, 2011]

I've used these speakers for a number of years, and agree with a lot of the comments already posted.

The speakers were well undervalued when marketed and are now hard to replace with out spending 10K +, anything I've heard below that price point can be described as different rather than better.

The tweeter sound is clear and bright, which is to be expected due to the titanium used in the tweeter construction. It's not an over bright sound though, it just reproduces musical instruments that are up in that frequency range.

The mids are equally as good as the highs too, which is where the largest proportion of musical instruments and the human voice sit. If a speaker can't reproduce well here it's not really a speaker is it.

The bass frequency range is what most people criticise, wrongly, in my opinion. The bass is there if your partnering equipment is up to it, and if the bass is on the recording. It's a bass that is precise and not flabby, so if you want a speaker that adds anything down in this frequency range this isn't going to please you.

When you look at partnering electronics it's obvious that the better the equipment, the better the control on the speaker. I started out with a solid state100w integrated, then added a matching power amp, which gave improved speed, control, dynamics etc. I then added a valve pre and used the integrated as a power amp along with the second power amp. For me this gave a better sound, although it got no more performance from the speakers it did progress my system. I then moved on to 150w valve mono blocks and a matching valve pre. This gave better control again, I then added a second pair of mono blocks, and each time I progressed through the upgrade path I feel that the speakers gave more and the overall sound got better and better.

So, I have a brilliant set of speakers that are now probably giving me everything they can possibly achieve, and to get any better than this it's going to cost some serious cash. I'd now be looking at Revel Ultima Salon 2, B&W 802, KEF Reference 207/2 or something similar, maybe Eggleston Works Andra 111.

AnalogueLover   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 11, 2010]

Hi there and thanks for dropping by. I have owned a pair of Celestion A3's for over 10 years now and if there is one thing I truly fear..... and that is having to replace them. Let's face it, we've all been guilty of wanting to upgrade or better our system and the musical experience we gain from it all, agreed? However, just out of curiosity, I recently approached a BADA approved dealer whom i have had many years of both solid service and advice, to ask what would I have to spend to BETTER the Celestion A3's. The advisor said the Celestion A series were REFERENCE quality speakers at BELOW Reference type prices. He said that to keep the qualities of the A3's and better them, would mean something along the lines of the KEF 207/2's and they cost a whopping £12,000! In comparison, the A3's at their price peak were about £2,500 and I got a new pair when they were being discontinued for just £1,500.
The A3's benefit greatly from a powerful amp with plenty of drive. They are very power and current hungry, but with beautiful, full and open results. They need plenty of room and are NOT suitable for flats, square rooms or where there is likely to be a complain to the Noise Abatement Society ;-) I think it's a crime what the new owners have done to Celestion as they had the history and heritage going back MANY generations and built their reputation in music studios where only the best survive.

art   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 18, 2010]

I'm no audiophile, but have been interested in hi quality sound systems, since the early days of home cinema, and total 'sound immersion' starting with simple prologic; having been joined at the hip to my mission 770's and Feeedoms for a very long time (since university in fact), several years ago I saw a pair of A3's in black ash at a small hi fi shop in Nelson UK.

The sheer size took my interest; then a demo blew my socks off, almost literally; and they were priced for 2nd hand sale !!! So I saved up, paid a deposit, saved a bit more, and eventually became the proud owner, borrowed an estate car to get em home, got some friends in to help me move them into position; hooked up em to my trusty YAMAHA RXV 1000 RDS; plugged in my Yamamha CD player CDX 493 (optical) and starting to listen..

The only way I can describe these brilliant units is .. I no longer listen to music, I simply see and feel music; the accuracy in the high ranges enables to to imagine the sound source; make little difference if its a home movie, hi quality CD etc .. and it doesnt really matter about the music style; classical, pop or whatever; when it needs to fast and crisp it is, when it needs to be mellow and warm it is, when it needs to be fierce and hard it is... and it certainly moves volumes of air .. :)

I think I may have got lucky in that the RXV1000 is also very accurate so the combination is simply staggering.

My favourite demo CD track is the Corrs Forgiven not Forgotten, and in particular track-9, Toss the Feathers, its a fast Celtic Instrumental with a really short but powerful drum piece; play it loud; its like a religous experience ...

I will never change these speakers, not ever ... :)

gerenidsmith   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 17, 2005]
Strength:

As above

None

Awesome ! One of my best purchases. The sound quality and performance is breathtaking ( price is in pounds BTW ) This is a very high quality loudspeaker that has a very substantial build quality and weight. The speakers are very involving, yet pace/rhythm and dynamic range stand out more than most other speakers. This is not at the expense of clarity and transparency. I preferred the A3s to the B&W 803s and virtually everthing else that I tried in this price range. They are superb on rock / classical / jazz. Once you've positioned them correctly ( I found that they worked best with a little re-enforcement from the back walls, but I've always had this problem in my room with all speakers, so this is probably just my room Five stars no question.