Celestion A2 Floorstanding Speakers

(2)7" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 07, 2020]
RGB

Strength:

Suenan muy bien, las tengo con un amplificador de bulbos de Margules y el sonido es muy dulce. Estaban un poco sucias y una recibió un golpe en la madera de cerezo, la lije y le puse restaurador de aceites y quedaron como nuevas, incluso mejoró el color.

La tapa negra De tela que va encima está ya fea y no la quiero Quitar por Proteccion, no se si exista algo que permita que se luzca el interior. Por otro Lado los conectores no aceptan contactos Banana que son más prácticos

Purchased:
Used
[Jan 10, 2016]
Jason
Audio Enthusiast

Owned my A2,s now for ,well seems like forever had various equipment latest addition being valve amplification and theve never disapointed ,of course i always wanted the A3s who knows maybe one day,never crossed my mind to upgrade them being my first big spend on Hifi ,the only thing thats starting to bug me alittle is the fact their only 4 ohms , im probably reading to much Hifi jargon since aquiring my tube amp appently you dont get the best out of tube amplifiers with 4 ohm speakers , ive been toying with the idea to install 2 more 7in woofers does anyone know if celestion are still trading , or maybe Mr Kevin has got some tuked away someware any advice leave us a comment,,, boooom

[Dec 28, 2015]
Kevin fulcher

Hello ??
I now own all the Celestion A series.
The A2's have eluded me for years.
When I was a wee lad I worked for Celestion and I dreamed regularly
About owning the Celestion A3's, my low wages presented issues regarding ever really buying a pair lol.
Anyway about these A2's, I must say I'm impressed.
I bought them very cheap off everyone's favourite auction site.
They had damaged tweeters so I bought them at a reasonable price, £100!
Having loads of spares for Celestion speakers I replaced the damaged tweeters with new old stock A series drivers I had kicking about.
Once repaired and a quick polish to bring back the beautiful cheery shine I fired them up.
My A3's live on the stereo so I decided to try the A2's on the home cinema and plut the A compacts on the rear.
I have the A4 rears but I must say the compacts are way better for home cinema.
First test was Star Trek bluray (in to darkness)
I was so impressed with the bass response of the A2's I turned the sub off! Lol.
Also I became so engulfed with the experience I watched the movie in its entirety.
Next I tried Jeff Wayne's war of the worlds in DVD,
Selected DTS sound track, again watch from beginning to end.
Over all I'm well impressed, the A2's really deliver a beautiful sound.
Softer bass than the A3's but slightly less controlled.
Richer sound than the A1's and also bring thiner than the A3's better stereo imagery.

Conclusion
A3's, for a massive room and powerful sound reproduction
A2's,pound for pound pretty close to the A3's but slightly less controlled bass and a tad less mid.
A1's, awesome speakers, need good stands and room to sing.
A compacts, I love these speakers,if you limited for space nothing else comes close for overall sound. My proac tablets were more detailed but lack the bass response.
I guess the closest I've heard are B&W cm1's, great but not as sweet as the compacts.
All in all my dreams as a young man have come true (speaker wise)
Take care
All the best
Fellow Hifi enthusiasts ??

[Aug 27, 2009]
lenny

product is fantastic!

[Nov 24, 2007]
KEN ABBASZADEH
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

GREAT LOOK,SOLID BUILT, AND PERFORMANCE

NONE , NONE , NONE

AFTER 3 YEARS OF CONSTANT LISTENING STILL ENJOY IT, I WOULD SAY WHY WOULD ANYONE SPEND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS ON SPEAKER WHEN THEY CAN BUY THIS AWSOME SPEAKERS.LOVE IT , TIGHT BASS, BEAUTIFUL MID RANGE.

Customer Service

5 STAR

MIAGE, MATIN LOGAN,CASTLE.

[Jun 02, 2005]
Jorge Perez
AudioPhile

Strength:

Laid-backs, controlled bass, finished, laser interferometry, faraday rings... that means outclass technology.

A little expensive if it were bought brand-new ;)

After trying them for 5 months, I just can say that's the best bang for the buck made in my whole life! I use them with 2 bridged NAD 214 power amps and a pre NAD 1000 from MONITOR SERIES (together with a CD NAD C540) and the resulting sound is just superb. Controlled bass, laid-backs and dynamics are exceptionals. Considering they cost more than €2.500 and I got them by just paying €379... I think there's nothing more to say ;) Now I'm waiting for the seller to sell the A3's he still owns.

Similar Products Used:

Celestion MKII range, ProAcs, Dynaudios (contour series and Audience monitors), Spendor, Thiel, Jamor (concert 8 and 11) and few more.

[Jan 31, 2002]
Art Burt

None

I have had these speakers for almost 2 years now and they are still the best sounding that I have had in my home to date. And I have had a lot of speakers on trial at home in my system. I have them on a solid rosewood stand that perfectly matches the speaker. I had the local cabinet maker contruct them and fill them with sand and then seal them. I have the speakers with very short spikes sitting on the matching stands with good spikes as well. This makes it look like a large speaker. With the stands it brings the tweeter just above the listeners ears. With a Meridian 508-24 cd player and a much modified Copland CSA 14 and Cardas Golden Reference Interconnects and Speaker Cables and these Celestions I would be hard pressed finding better sound.

Similar Products Used:

Linn,KEF,Silverline,Reference 3a,JM Lab,Mission,Totem Tabu....etc etc etc.

[Dec 01, 2000]
Q Bert
Casual Listener

Strength:

Top to bottom coherence, detail, power, subtelty. Superb build quality.

Bright tweeter in some systems or types of music?

This is my first entry into the high end speaker arena, but I did some serioius listening to the above referenced names. In terms of both musicality and value for money the Celestions won my vote. Their ability to reproduce piano and vocals is as good as if not better than anything I've heard. And the bass response is truely in a class of its own at this price: fast, tight, deep, and powerful yet always musical and never exaggerated.

The build quality is truely second to none, and still quite a bargain even at their full retail price of $2,300. I believe these speakers are very competitive in this price class, which is admittedly a highly competitive arena to begin with. I feel there sound is very honest, accurate and natural. They will play very loud and do not require a great deal of power. However I think they require (in order to realize their full potential) a high quality, stable amplifier that is capable of delivering more current than your typical receiver. Electronics that already err on the bright side of reality may not be the best match either.

As always, audition with your own ears, music, system components and room, if possible! For me they represent a best in class product that I anticipate enjoying for many years to come.

Similar Products Used:

B&W CDM7SE, Revel, Martin Logan Aerius, Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano, Paradigm Ref Studio.

[Feb 27, 1998]
Michael Bishop
an Audio Enthusiast

I recently purchased a pair of Celestion A2 speakers. The A2s fall betweenthe A1 (small bookshelf 2-way) and the A3 (large floorstanding tower 3-way).
The A2s are a small tower (35.5x9.5x15", 65 lbs), and I have them elevated about
2.5 feet off the ground, 3 feet away from the back walls. The A2 is described
as a two and a half way speaker. They have two 7 inch woofers and a metal dome
tweeter sandwiched in-between them. They may be bi-wired or bi-amped, but I do
not have them set up that way. The A2s are ported in the back.

I have them hooked up to a fully-restored Pioneer SX-1250 receiver, with standard
14 gauge speaker wire, a Sony CDP-608ESD CD player, and Monster Cable interconnects.
The receiver is set to bypass all tone controls.

These speakers reveal a lot of detail in any musical material. Bass is there easily
down to 40 Hz, but not boomy. Midrange is crystal clear and effortlessly reproduced.
The treble is a bit forward compared to my other speakers (Advent Heritage) but it is
not at all irritating or distracting to me. The speakers image very well, but at
garden-level, I am getting some reflections from my room which detracts from the effect.
The Celestion A2s make it very easy to pick out instruments, as well as creating one
of the best sound-stage presentations I've heard. On some material (Michael Hedges,
Watching My Life Go By; Sarah MacLachlan, Surfacing) the live performance feel is
astonishing. Voices sound natural and wonderfully present.

I think these speakers need a bigger room than what I can give them - they
can play at very loud levels without sounding harsh - but I do notice substantial
wall reflections at those volumes - a large room with a vaulted ceiling rising away from
the speakers would be the ideal set up. Cement walls are always a challenge.

The craftsmanship of the A2s is second-to-none. I have them with the rosewood
finish (all 6 sides). Build quality is the best I've ever seen.

I have yet to hear the A3s. Sources tell me the sound is similar to the A2, but with
much more pronounced bass - which would probably totally overwhelm my small room. If
you are looking for speakers that produce a finely-detailed presentation, and your
music preferences tend more toward acoustic, traditional jazz, and classical - these
speakers may be your cup of tea. For rock, these speakers may be overkill in midrange
and treble - and come up a little short in bass. As always, listen before you buy.

For more details and photos of the A2 and other Celestion speakers, check out:

--Michael Bishop

[Oct 16, 1998]
Randolph
an Audio Enthusiast

I am at the point of buying new speakers. The last couple of years I had a pair of Driade 9 speakers, which look superb, but the sound of it never really engaged me.
The CDM-7 SE's are high on my list, although I am also still considering other B&W's (P4/5; CDM-1 SE)
and even speakers from other manufacturers, like the
Dali 450/850,
Celestion A1/2,
Mission 753,
KEF Q55/65,
Castle Avon/Harlech,
Acoustic Energy 109/120,
Monitor Audio MA 70# PMC,
Ruark Acoustic Scepter
So, it's obvious I still have quite a lot of listening to do.

My amp and CD are from Harman/Kardon (6500 and 730, resp.) wired with Van Den Hul cables and interlink. At this moment the CDM-7 SE's have my preference but I don't know how they hook up with my amp and CD. Your experience on any of these speakers or suggestions are highly welcome.