Canton CT-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

CT-1000

3 way bass reflex full range speaker-top of the line

Robert Tholen   AudioPhile [Jan 12, 2014]

I had read the reviews on this site (and some more) and when I came across a pair for 150 euros I decided to try them. Honestly, they are the best speaker I have ever had. You should know, I'm a real cheapskate, so you can imagine how pleased I was when I hooked them up to my 2 x 2,5 Watt single ended tube amp. What a great sound for only 150 euros! The bass was deep and dry, the mids were open and non fatiguing and the highs were... high
After a while I felt they didn't go loud enough so I made them "bi-ampliphiacal": the SE tube driving the mid speaker and the tweeter and an old NAD 2 x 60 Watt for the bass. Wow, I have really never ever heard such detail in the bass! This means that the mid speaker (which is " open baffle" really has a great match with the woofer. After a small correction with my parametric equalizer, they now sound perfect. You know, the Germans like a fat bass and a strong high, too fat and strong for my taste.
My "front end" comprises of J.River Media Player, a DDD USB DAC, an Aikido tube pre-amp, an modified Decware ZEN power amp for the squawker and tweeter, and a NAD power amp for the woofers.
The CT1000 excel in bass response: not only deepness but primarily in articulation. The mids are open due to the open baffle concept and the highs are as they should be, without ssss and integrated with the mids. When I listen to these speakers, I don't hear a woofer, a squawker and a tweeter, I hear music. For me, that is one of the most important characteristics one should look for in a speaker: integration an coherence, and these baby's have them.

Tom Dunn   AudioPhile [Nov 24, 2007]
Strength:

GREAT bass, top end clear, DRAMATIC TAKE CHARGE SOUND ON JAZZ

None, placement of course is critical, don't drive these with a cheap amp!

I have read about these for years and accidently found a pr...for $390!! Incredible sound, best lo end I've ever heard, as stated Jazz is the 1000s forte...really amazing response. USE GOOD CLEAN POWER AND GOOD CABLES!
(I'm using a 1985 KENWOOD KA-1100 SD DLD Integrated, it's SWEET.

The newer (1985 0n) models had the mid/hi positioned above the woofer but not in a straight line as before, also a port on back. I called Canton, got a rep who actually remembered this model, told me was because of cosmetic concerns (you can see more of the front cabinet like this, also thet "tubed" the mid on these later models. THESE RETAILED FOR $2500-3000 DEPENDING ON FINISH! Canton's top line speaker at the time.

QUALITY WEST GERMAN LOUDSPEAKER, RIVALING ANYTHING OUT THERE

Get a pr if you can on eBay, well worth it!

Customer Service

Great, just call....

Similar Products Used: Infinity REN90, Polk SDA Harmon Sixty's
powercat   AudioPhile [Dec 21, 2002]

I have had these CT 1000's for 16 years and they continue to outperform anything on the market today. The high end is sweet, the middle range clear, and the low end goes down to challenge any subwoofer. If I could ever find another pair on ebay, I would buy them at any price!! These are, for the money, the best speakers ever produced.

Esoteric Guru   an Audiophile [Mar 11, 1999]

CT-1000 one of the best speakers ever made in the 3000 dlr range. Awesome sound and tremendous imaging. The 12 inch woofer really
makes the house vibrate with low frequencies. The hand polish
mahogany finish($600 extra) is superb. Few speakers can go down
20hz like these babies. Get them if u can.

Tony Filson   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 26, 1999]

I have had a pair of CT-1000's now for 12 Years. They are by far one of the BEST speakers I have ever owned. Great, clean bass when not TOO close to a wall, mid-range that makes you cry with joy, and a high end that is just a tiny bit sweet but it only brings out the flaws in your equipment or a recording if your equipment is not up to the quality of these speakers.
If anyone has a pair I would buy them! On the spot! Just Email me. Thank you