Cambridge Soundworks Tower Floorstanding Speakers

3-Way Bi-polar Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 24, 2020]
qualitysound83

Strength:

mehackett what is your email address I have boxes for you I will review this post later

Wire terminal location

[Mar 15, 2020]
Goodt60

Strength:

The sound! It's warm, but clear and detailed too. The bass is surprisingly deep. It doesn't hurt that they are also good looking and expensive looking, to go along with their quality build. I should mention that I haven't owned full sized speakers since my beloved Yamaha system back in my 1980's and 90's Marine Corps days. Instead, I'd invested in the usual 5.1 surround sound systems, and I own quite a few audiophile headphones and earphones. Two months ago, for $240, a local thrift shop had these for sale as part of a Cambridge Soundworks package that included these towers, a center speaker, two surround speakers, a powered subwoofer, and a 6.1 Yamaha receiver. Not jumping on the deal, at first, I could barely sleep that night, and made sure I was at the door at opening time hoping it was still there. One of the best purchases I've ever made in my life. I sometimes listen only to the towers in two channel. Sometimes, to the whole system in surround mode, which makes the instruments and vocals sound as if they're floating around me at different distances and locations. It's great. I'm still going thru my music collection, rediscovering how much better it sounds on my new system. *** $240 price includes the entire surround system with the receiver.

Connection terminals on the bottom. Speakers are heavy. Very sparse information available online.

240***
[Jul 12, 2019]
Annoyingduck

Strength:

I bought a mint pair of Mahogany Tower I's from Craigslist for a once in a lifetime steal of $50. They just had some cosmetic blemishes on the cabinets, the drivers were immaculate. I also own Tower ll's. The Tower l's are about 3" taller than the ll's and add a second 5-1/4" midrange and 1" silk-dome tweeter on the back of the speakers. The bi-ampable banana plugs are on the bottom of the cabinets, vs. on the back with the ll's. The cabinet is also fully mitered all around and built better than the rabbeted-in front & back panels on the ll's. The tweeters, midranges, and dual 8" woofers are the same used on the ll's. Impedance measures out to a bit over 6ohms. All the drivers are poly coned, rubber surrounded (not foam) so the early 90's age should not be a problem buying used. The drivers are built to last and for the most part are age/environment proof. 1/4-20 inserts are also on drilled into the bottom for spikes or levelers. Henry Kloss clearly took the "money is no object" approach with the original Tower 1's, while the 2's were engineered for a similar sound at a lower cost. As far as sound goes...well they are truly a spectacular loudspeaker. Warm, well rounded, full range sound. Bass is tight and accurate and very deep. The rear porting makes for a far more accurate low end, but placement can be tricky with the l's (and ll's for that matter). If your unhappy with your low end, it's definitely NOT the speakers - it's your placement or electronics. Mine are being powered by a Rotel RX-1052 @100w and they shine. Bass is bit deeper and the mids & highs are crisper on the l's vs. the ll's. They are truly audiophile bliss, by far one of the better tower speakers ever made in this class IMO. I currently have high end speakers by Martin Logan, Klipsch, and Advent. The CSW Tower 1's are just a fall-in-love with sound every time they are playing. If your able to get a hold of these super rare Cambridge Soundworks gems for anything under $500 do not hesitate - you will not be disappointed. A little maintenance hack...if you ever damage a tweeter or midrange, find a used CSW CenterStage center channel speaker for exact driver replacement. It uses the exact same 6ohm 1" dome tweeter and 5-1/4" midrange/midbass woofers used in the Tower series.

The bottom speaker terminal cup can be a bit tricky, especially because there are drivers on the front and the back. You basically have to lay them on their side to make the connections or have someone hold them at an angle. Once connected though, the bottom terminal makes for a really nice wire path.

$50 (Seriously!!)
[Mar 07, 2019]
mehackett

Strength:

I am inheriting a pair of these in mahogany from my late father. I am going to be cleaning out the house at the end of the month and apparently he doesn't have the boxes that the speakers came in. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might find boxes, or otherwise protect these speakers so that I can transport them from Oregon to Wisconsin?

I have no words

New
Model Year:
1996
[Jan 18, 2019]
czmkr788

Strength:

clarity of sound, the Cambridge Sound Works Towers brings us a step closer to visualizing sound, i use a vintage Marantz pre-amplifier sr670 and and a vintage Acurus amplifier 125x5 in stereo mode, and the Towers come to life with a surprisingly wholesome lower frequencies, you can play these speakers at fairly loud volumes and not disturb your neighbors with heavy bass, these speakers do high definition sound very well, i don't really need the subwoofer since these speakers put out a decent amount of bass, the Towers have a very small footprint, they will fit anywhere and put out beautiful sound but they really need more than 100 watts to really shine, they are powerful, elegant, and they are well made, if you are lucky to find a pair of the Cambridge Sound Works Towers or the smaller brother Tower 2 don't hesitate to get them you will not believe how nice they look and sound, i really like the second tweeter they added in the back face, it makes a huge difference in the sound imaging projection.

the weaknesses i found in the Cambridge Sound Works Towers is the weight, this is good and bad because a quality built floor speaker should be solid and heavy, compared to my old Marantz sp-1500's the Cambridge Sound Works Towers are light, it is a weakness if you can't lift heavy speakers, another weakness i found in the Towers is the wire terminals are under the speaker so you have to lay the speaker flat on the carpet to connect it, i like the placing of the wire terminals in the Cambridge Sound Works Towers 2 the smaller models, which has the wire terminals in the conventional placing of most speakers in the back face towards the base.

[Jan 18, 2015]
tpop
Audio Enthusiast

great value and sound. Sound as good if not better than speakers costing 3 times as much. You can't go wrong with these.

[May 07, 2014]
Andre
Casual Listener

WOW is all i can say. After testing Martin Logan, Some B & W, I cam across this vintage set of Tower CSW on CL. Best money I could of spent. I still feel I owe the guy a donation receipt for his donation to me. If you can find these any where, pick them up! you will not regret it.

[Feb 08, 2013]
Peter
Audio Enthusiast

I bought these speakers from someone on ebay for $150 and they still sound awesome. I just wish I could find how many watts these can handle. You can't go wrong with vintage CSW. Less money with great sound! Why spend the big bucks when you don't have too.

[May 21, 2012]
Music Lover from Boston
AudioPhile

This is a follow-up from my 2009 review. I like these speakers so much I recently
bought a second pair on the used market. They replaced a pair of a/d/s/ 1090 towers, which are a pretty decent speaker.

The first pair I owned have constantly delighted me since I bought them. Almost every time I listen, I say "wow!". They provide great detail and a fantastic three dimensional soundstage. Spatial details are abundant. For instance, on the Bill Evans "Waltz with Debby" CD, I can tell that the drummer was on a platform, raised above the level of the piano and bass. On classical CD's and LP's, the soundstage and instrumental detail are amazing. I am running the new pair with an a/d/s/ powered sub, and the combo is outstanding. The lacquered walnut finish is beautiful.

Used, these speakers are a fantastic value for the money. You can pick them up for a few hundred dollars if you are lucky enough to find them. Give them a try - you can't lose. CSW is not a "big name" audiophile vendor, but this speaker provides big time performance.

[Oct 11, 2009]
Music lover
AudioPhile

These are very nice speakers, and a superb deal on the used market. I picked up my pair for $400 - lightly used in the box. The bi-polar speakers that are rear firing give this speaker very good imaging - I hear spatial details I have never heard before on familiar recordings. The dual 8" woofers give the speaker excellent, weighty bass into the low 30 Hz. range. Wide, wide soundstage with orchestral works. Tonal balance is excellent - voices and stringed instruments sound natural and real. Like any well designed speaker, they sound good with any type of music - rock, jazz, folk, classical. They are heavy and very well built. I am very happy with these speakers, which I use with Yamaha separates. I've had a lot of good speakers over the years, and these are among the best I've owned.