Boston Acoustics VR965 Floorstanding Speakers

Boston Acoustics VR965 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

The VR965 features a side-firing 8-inch (200mm) DCD bass unit, a 4-1/2-inch (115mm) copolymer midrange driver and a 1-inch (25mm) VR aluminum. The VR965 also features a line-level subwoofer input for use with Dolby Digital systems.

USER REVIEWS

[May 08, 2006]
Rich
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

very good value! Would probably buy again...after shopping of course! They are good for all music genres...but only excel 80% of the time. (I think that is very good!)

Good for all music genres...but only excel 80% of the time.

That $1500 is Canadian funds and was when the $ was about .65¢ :(

I've been using these VR965 for over 5 years now, and they still sound the same (I think) as they did the first day! I was impressed by the great 'hidden' subs design. They have withstood loud parties more than once, I'd say they are very robust. I have found the 'one way' direction of the subs to be problematic at times, you have to watch how/where your speakers are in relation with walls & furniture. Awesome for movies and anywhere from very good to awesome for music. Since I listen to ALL kinds of music, I find satisfaction in these VRs most of the time. Bass is very good, but not excellent when 'pushed', I think it may be because of sub/wall/furniture relation in my living room. I thought they were the best bang for the buck...and still do!
I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theatre in my basement and the VRs are here to stay, even with their age!

Similar Products Used:

Bose that dry up...although play pretty well when new.

[Apr 06, 2004]
MarkoPolo
AudioPhile

Strength:

Bass weight, clarity, speed that belies their 8" size adjustable subwoofers slim attractive profile great for home theater use

Recessed midrange on all music Treble not smooth or detailed-fatiguing lacks sufficient soundstage & detail

I purchased the 965's about 2 years ago and recently "upgraded" to a pair of Triangle Antals. I still use the 965's for home theatre and am pleased with them for that purpose. The 8" integrated subs are the best feature. Bass is tight, articulate & punchy never becoming muddy. I primarily used these speakers in a two channel system the majority of the time I've had them. Although very satisfied with bass performance, the midrange and treble leave some to be desired. The mids seem a little recessed on most recordings causing me to lower the output of the integrated subs but that didn't help. The high were too high even with tone controls defeated. I attempted many tweaks and listening positions but the treble was still fatiguing. I'm not certain of how much soundstage can be expected from speakers of this price range but I've heard better for less money. Compared to my reference Antals the 965's fall very short in most comparisons except bass output. The Antals have more accurate bass and the 965's just have much more bass. Doing a side-by-side comparison of the two using identical amplification it became very apparent where the 965's couldn't compete and that would be the 965's recessed mids, etched, sometimes harsh highs, soundstage, detail(especially low-level)and speed of transient detail. I think the comparison is a little unfair as the 965's certainly fill their niche in home theatre settings, though for two channel listening one can buy better at similar prices.The "sock" that surrounds the 965's are a pain as they collect dust and make the speaker difficult to move. I do like the 965's slim profile and small footprint. In summary these are great speakers for home theater and if you listen to primarily rock or rap they may just fit your bill.

Triangle Antals PSB Stratus Mini Polk large towers

[Dec 08, 2003]
dhh2001gtp
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great all around sound. Small footprint. Built in subs make a separate sub an option, not a necessity.

An outlet for every speaker. Sock collects dust.

I have had these speakers for a while now. I work in the electronics retail business so I get to constantly listen to all the new stuff that comes out, and with the great discounts I am always ready to upgrade. The thing is that I haven't found anythigng for the money that bests these speakers. Compared with Klipsch these speakers sound more natural to me, the Klipsch horns are a bit too high strung, they hurt the ears. The comparable Def Tech speakers sound great for movies, but fall short on the music listening experiance. The Kef and Paradigms that I have compared them to might sound a bit better, but I don't think it is worth the cost upgrade. For a "budget" home theater I think these cover all the bases better than anything (that I have heard) out there. Mitsubishi WS42311 HDTV Denon AVR3801 Reciever Denon DVD-2200 Player Boston VR-965 (fronts and surrounds) Boston CR-85 (surround back) Boston VR-12 Center Channel Def Tech PS-100TLBL Sub (Best sub under 1000)

Similar Products Used:

I work in an electronics store, so I get to demo many things for long periods of time.

[Jul 30, 2003]
JSE
Casual Listener

Strength:

Great tight bass. Great detail. Built-in subs are awesome. Nice clean slender look. Wife approved. Very easy to drive. Great value.

Fabric cloth covering.

I have had the 965s for about 2 months now. So far I have been very impressed. I initially auditioned about 8 to 10 different speaker models. I listened to Polk, Klipsch, Mirage, Paradigm, Phase Tech, Vandersteen, B&W, and Energy. Out of all of these and a few others, I narrowed it down to the Energy C9 Towers and the Boston VR965. I really liked to Vandersteens, but I felt they were weak in the HT department. Amazing in music though. It finally came down to price. I got a hell of a deal through my company’s discount program with a west coast authorized dealer. I saved about 45% on the Bostons. I got the VR965s, VR910 center, and Bravo rears for about the same price as the Energy C9s. I have a set of Polk speakers as well and the Bostons blow these away. The Polks are now in the bedroom. I must say that the VR965s sounded better to me than higher priced speakers from Paradigm, B&W and Klipsch. The Paradigms and the Klipsch had much brighter highs and somewhat muddy mids compared to the VR965s. The VR965s were much more “laid back” and detailed. I listen to everything from Classical to Heavy Metal. The VR965s seem to handle it all. Nora Jones’ new CD is quite impressive on these speakers. It’s like a brand new CD when listening to it on the VR965s compared to my older Polks. I am also very impressed with the tight bass produced by these speakers. I have the subs connected direct to the sub out on the receiver via a y-connector. This seems to produce the most pleasing bass for music and movies. I thought that I may have to add a separate sub at a later date, but I have been more than pleased with the built in subs and see no need to add more bass. HT is unbelievable on these speakers. I am currently running the speakers on a older Onkyo high end A/V received with Dolby Prologic only. Not the best for HT, but truly amazing for music which I mainly listen to over HT. I just parted with a new Onkyo SR600. I sold it to a friend to help finance my next purchase of separates. I can’t wait the here the Bostons with some good quality amps and processors. Anyway, if you are looking for some great speakers that can handle HT and music equally, I highly recommend the VR965s. They are truly amazing and compare to many more expensive speakers. Go listen and you will see.

Polk, Sony, Onkyo.

[Jun 03, 2003]
Johnnie
Casual Listener

Strength:

*Built-in powered subwoofers *Great sound across the spectrum *Design

*The special cloth grill attracts a lot of dust

In case you want a casual listener's opinion for a change, here it is. I have been looking to build a surround sound environment in my living room, but I had a very small budget. The answer was the VR-965. Not only were they the best sounding speakers in 4 major electronic chain stores (regardless of price), they also came with a built-in 80 watt subwoofer in each tower (money saver). Have you ever killed 3 birds with one stone? I did with the VR-965's. They sound awesome (truly awesome), there's no need to buy a separate powered subwoofer, and they take up barely any space due to their ingenious design. If you come across these speakers, listen to them and take them home! If you're a Bose fan, welcome to the world of Boston Acoustics. These babies are engineered and made in the USA. Bose are made in Mexico.

Bose 301

[Apr 17, 2003]
gmrvos
AudioPhile

Strength:

The soundstage is incredible for a speaker in this price range. The openness and ability to produce a believable image was close to truley high end speakers. Vocals seem to jump out of thin air and Pink Floyd seems to envelope the entire front of the room. They are right at home being driven by a modest Receiver or a very nice seperate amplifier. You can expect to get much of the benefit of a really nice amp and CD player with these speakers.

The bass is a little thick in the 50-75 Hz region and a little thin beneath that. Compared to much more expensive speakers their depth of soundstage is not as good as I would like but one must consider I'm comparing these to speakers 10X their cost.

I sold my last audio system a few years back and bought a house with the proceeds(Krell,B&W 801 Matrix,etc) So when I decided to once again put a pair of speakers in my living room I decided this time I would keep to a very modest budget and live with the best sound I could find for the money. I listened to the Mirage bipolars,Sonus Fabers(far too expensive for floor models)Kef's,Magnepans,etc. After coming close to giving up I decided to give the Boston Acoutics a listen. I only had to listen for a few moments before I realized that I had found something that is really very special. Here was a pair of speakers that retailed at @1000 pair and presented an image that was similar to the 801's that I had years earlier. I was in shock! No, they weren't as detailed as the Matrix nor did they have the reach on the bottom end even with the powered sub but they are also $9000 cheaper than the 801's now in the Nautilus brand.(Yes I listened to them too for kicks but could not justify the expense with kids and all!)I tried them with various amplifiers and various types of music and could not find any reason not to buy them immediately!

None

[Apr 12, 2003]
jayvahs
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

very good definition and accuracy high effeciency great low end for an 8 inch sub

Narrow sound field, probably due to small frontal diameter and only two front facing drivers. May want to suppliment with a second set (or rear channel) speakers of same effeciency. (ex Definitive BP-10B's)

These are great primary speakers for a multi-channel system. However, the sound gield may be a bit narrow if they are the only speakers used in a fairly large room on a convetional 2 ch. stereo. They are my second pair of Boston Acoustics speakers!. The sound is more natual and open than most Bose, Polk and Definitive products.

Bose 901's Boston Acoustics Sub stat 7 Definitive BP-10B

[Dec 10, 2002]
pengels
AudioPhile

Strength:

Near-perfect definition and imaging in 2-channel music and very respectable sub-bass in movies for mid-size room. Attractive appearance.

Single pair posts prevent bi-wiring or bi-amping.

All my life I have been a discerning music and movie buff with taste for live anything from reggae to 70's progressive to classical and opera in music...the whole gamut in movies. I like my music to sound as much like the concert as possible. The 965s are the first serious speakers I've ever owned, replacing very nice Mirage M290i and Polk rs35i bookshelf speakers. At $472/pair slightly used they were a steal. My Lynnfields are connected via gold banana plugs on 12g cable to a Yamaha VX995 5X100w receiver and RCA cables to the LFE/sub inputs. My first listening test was mixed. I was blown away by an audio test disc that sent pure uncompressed CD signal to the speakers. Female vocals were almost eerie in the lifelike presence. Close your eyes and honestly you'd think the singer was in the room. Sibilants are clear as crystal. Piano notes are vibrant and bass well-defined on most tracks, but I thought a tad mushy on others. I replayed dozens of old favorite CDs like Neil Young Harvest, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-Genesis and Tull and Strawbs on vinyl. Quality of sound varied. I'm a little perplexed so I visit a dealer and quiz the sales guy who suggests better source material. So I play several tracks from my new SACD player and ZOWIE!! The problem was never the Bostons. These speakers are phenomenal and they will acurately reflect any source you send them. Bad news is they will also reveal the mediocrity of poorly produced CDs from the 70's and 80's. Welcome to the audiophile zone, my friends. Get ready to start replacing old CDs with SACD and DVD audio because you will enter a whole new world of musical appreciation when you hear what these Lynnfields can do with high-quality source material. My skeptical wife who hates anything with a flashing red light on it (translation:ALL consumer electronics) was mesmerized by the compelling sonic quality from guitar picking where you can hear every fret squeek and definition that sounds like the music is live in your living room. Movies? Not bad for L-R Front performance but when MASSIVE base is required I'd recommend another sub or two. Mind you, I have a gi-normous rec room with high ceilings and about 8,000 cu.ft. to fill so blaming two 8" 80 watt subs is hardly fair. Even so, these subs will rattle dishes in my kitchen upstairs and wake the kids up on the top floor if they're cranked so a normal den or apartment would be insane to go any bigger. I see no reason to touch these speakers for years and will put my extra dough into better music, more sub power, line doubler, front projector...

[Nov 15, 2002]
retrpostage
Casual Listener

Strength:

Amazing sound reproduction, clear, the best speaker after 5 months of searching

Sock-covering. Since it doesn’t influence the music, it was not a problem.

Equipment: Onix P3000 preamp and A2150 amp, NAD C541 CD player, said speakers, and combination of DIY, locally produced cables. First off, sound quality from best to worst: Boston Acoustic, KEF RDM3, Epos M15, Ruark Epilogue II and Etude, Tannoy Mercury line, B&Ws DM602-5-S3, Sonus Fabers, NHT VT 2.4, Paradigm, Sony/JBL/Yamaha, etc. It took me 2 months to find a CD player, 3 months to find an amp/preamp, and about 5 months to get these speakers. I spent 5 months (incidentally putting over 400 miles on my car by scouring my metropolis) testing every imaginable make/model/configuration of speakers. My search finally landed me in conceivably the worst place to look for a speaker (Tweeter). Luckily, I had a very astute young salesman do what nearly every private dealer failed to accomplish. Sell me a speaker based on a sound vs. price comparison. I heard virtually every conceivable gimmick (the tweeter pod on a B&W, glued-on-face-plate-reduces-box-interference (Epos), and the leather-bound glory of Sonus Fabers). My speakers will never be a part of a 5.1 system. I designed my system to be a neutral 2-channel setup. My BA-VR965s do a great job producing a clear neutral sound. Interestingly enough, I did not like the VR975s. They did not sound as sharp as the 965s. Surprisingly, I went under my budget (I had originally intended to go for a $1800 pair of KEFs). These Boston Acoustics are as clear as Epos speakers and have as much bass and midrange extension as KEFs. KEF was almost as good as Boston Acoustic, but cost more. Epos was exceptionally clear and was well paired with a Creek integrated. It was, however, expensive and had a very gimmicky/potentially expensive flaw (its glued-on face plate, blow 1 speaker component, replace all components on a speaker). Ruark were nice, but expensive ($900 for a pair of bookshelf speakers). Tannoys suffered from the same problems as Raurk. B&W probably would have scored much better, but they were expensive and connected to possible the worst/underpowered Rotel amp ever produced. The sound was lifeless and tinny. Sonus Fabers were nice, but had a creamy sound. A Coldplay CD sounded as if it were submerged. It did not handle precise jazz or classical music well. Heavy metal or bass heavy dance music would kill this speaker. NHT had a similar design to the VR965, but was clearly geared for a more home theater setup. Its sub-woofer unit was much more active (and muddled music) than the VR965. Everything else had glaring flaws in sound reproduction (too much bass, too much treble, etc.). In the final analysis, this is great speaker for music. It has great range and control. I would suggest that consumers go for the VR975 if the main use for the speaker is home theater. Otherwise, nothing competes with it in its price range.

Similar Products Used:

KEF, B&W, Dynaudio, NHT, Ruark, Epos, Sonus Fabers, Viennas, Paradigm, Tannoy, Sony, JBL, Yamaha, Klipsch, Wharfdale

[Aug 12, 2002]
joetrai
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great bass - clear trebal and mid range. Warm and life-like sound. Beautiful exterior design.

Nothing

Got these for 399 per pair. Must say that they are amazing speakers - performance definitely surpass their price range (even at 1000 dollars a pair). I have tested many many pairs of tower speakers, and these turn out to be the most live-like, dynamic, clear, and filling speakers. Infinitis are okay, Definitive Bi-Polar are good, but lack precise imaging. Polk Audios are nice and clear but lack deep bass that the built-in subs on the Boston Acoustics offer. All in all, these are awesome speakers for both movies and music, and should be able to satisfy all demand levels, whether beginning or true audiophile. Great value for money for mid-range, semi hi-end products.

Infiniti, B&W, Polk Audio