Bose 901 Series VI Floorstanding Speakers

901 Series VI

Die Lautsprecher und der Equalizer der Serie VI, Modell 901 von Bose bilden in Verbindung mit Ihren Stereogeräten eine hervorragende Musikanlage. Der aktive Equalizer ist ein integrierter Bestandteil der Anlage und kann je nach den vorhandenen Geräten auf verschiedene Weise angeschlossen werden.

angelzxr4ti@yahoo.com   Casual Listener [Aug 31, 2008]
Strength:

I like everything they did

none that i havent heard from most speakers

Let me start by saying these were my first speakers and i wish i still had them.I have had everyone tell me about how great magnepans altec vott are trust me i had them are they great yes but the 901s were not bad by no means neither.I now have a pair of electrovoice 15trx in some custom pbn enclosure that i would trade in a heartbeat for my bose.Do the electrovoice sound bad no they dont but its just not that important to me anymore i use to enjoy audio but now ive traded speakers so many times and actually i still like those 901s better because when i had them i listen alot mot more to music other then systems.I dont care if speakers have a frequency range up to 30k+ Sorry my ears arent that good if yours are by all means by them.If anyone wanna trade there cheap 901s for my system let me know i live in Tulsa Oklahoma and no i cannot ship the pbns to heavy i have them posted on craigslist also under electronics if you like to view what i have and what im willing to trade for.

i miss my 901s life was so much simpler then

Similar Products Used: altec vott,jbl l200b ,dahlquist dq10,magnepan mg3,acoustat,norman labs,allison,b&w,B&O,vandersteen 2c,ads,ar model 9,infinity kappa rs 9,infinity rs2b,plenty of others also and yes i have proof of all these speakers go to flickr look up angelzxr4ti@yahoo.com
StevenArrow   AudioPhile [Aug 27, 2008]
Strength:

Powerful elegant functional loud and sweet. Sounds great in low level listening and awesome in loud rock music. Classical music lovers rejoice.

placement

These speakers have been around for years and not much has changed in its conceptual design. My first set of Bose were the 601 series one. I still have them and they still sound great after 30 years although I did replace the bass drivers (due to foam rot). The 601s work on the same theory as the 901s - direct reflected sound. The speakers handle as little as 30 watts and I have driven them hard with 120watts per channel. Easy placement and they still pound. Rock, Jazz, R&B all sound fabulous with classical and opera sounding amazing.

The 901's are somewhat different because speaker placement is critical. Simply following the guidelines in the manual is a good start, but all rooms have different sound dynamics so location refinement is essential to optimal listening. Once the speakers land in the 'g' spot (groove) they will come alive and consume the room with high fidelity like no other. Walk around the sound stage and be amazed. Deep sharp bass response, great highs and middles that can make you weep.

I went through great pains to make sure placement was optimal, but I also concentrated my efforts on the cable and power plants as well. I used 8 gauge OFC twisted pair with platinum connectors on both ends. I powered the speakers with a 200 watt per channel Chiro amplifier and Mcintosh preamp. I also incorporated a Marantz AC3 digital processor for my Rotel CD player and 32bit computer driven MP3's. Lastly, I installed a Sunfire woofer in the mix and I used a Litespeed power conditioner to finish things off. The results were stunning. The power handling of these speakers are phenom. As good as any live performance you can imagine even better.

R. Morelli   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 25, 2008]
Strength:

Ability to realistically capture the richness and depth of the various instruments, including the human voice. Strings, Percussion, in particular timpany, and Organ music, especially the deep resonance of the lower notes, are thrilling to hear.

The reflecting sound apprach - each speaker housing contains 9 individual speakers, with 8 off them projecting rearward - is that you need to have a room with good acoustic qualities (which mine does) and you need to place the speakers at the correct distance from the rear and side walls. Bose has guidelines for determining these distances, but only trial and error will find the optimal placement for your room. This is a realtively small investment in time, and a very acceptable trade-off to get sound that fills the room like a concert hall, rather than appears to be emanating from a speaker source.

I purchased my 901's two years ago after a great deal of research and test listening. Bottom line: I love these speakers, and in my opinon, Bose's slogan "only live sounds better" isn't too far from truth. No other speakers I listened to in this price range (or double the price range for that matter) seemed to match the qualities of the 901. I listen mostly to acoustic music - classical and jazz. I live in the Philadelphia area where I have access to the world class sound of the Philadelphia Orchestra in Verizon Hall. No, the 901's cannot match a Verizon Hall experience, but they're not a bad sustitute. My listening area consistes of a large, retangular open space of 3 contiguous rooms - living room, dining, and kitchen, and the reflective sound approach of these speakers does an amazing job of evenly distributing rich sound throughout the rooms. I drive these speakers with a Yamaha RX-777 Stereo Receiver.

schreibf   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 22, 2008]
Strength:

(For me) looks, power handling, frequency response

Room placement

I bought the 901 on sale with a guarantee of return from Lazarus in about 1995 (I forgot what series) I experimented considerably, for several days, with placement never finding just the right spot. My llistening area was small, about 12 x 20. Finally after trying at least a dozen positions, I found they sounded nice exactly in the middle of the room - in about area thirds. This position was, of course, impossible so I had to take them back.

Similar Products Used: Many, over the years from Klipsch Heresy (1950s), on.
yannaros   AudioPhile [Jul 29, 2008]
Strength:

Clarity, soundstage,Power if driven with a good and powerful amplifier.
Then you can have the lows, mids and highs that most people expect

Need the right placement and the right connections to the equalizer.

Hello once again

I repost my review since I upgraded my audio system

I used to own Rotel RA 980 BX 2X100W Intergraded Amplifier

and now my system consists:

Turntable Thorens TD 166 MK VI
BOSE 901 VI
HDTV Panasonic TH-42PZ77U
Monster Cable Interconnects
Monster Cable M1.2 Speaker Cable

The sound on BOSE 901 VI has dramatically changed.
Better clarity, soundstage, power.
I can hear detailed sound even at the lowest levels.

Lows, mids and highs are all there

Excellent so far

Similar Products Used: Monitor audio Silver RS6
HSS   AudioPhile [Jul 26, 2008]

Bose is a great product if you don't know any better, especailly when all the guys at the department store rave about them. The part I find interesting is that there are people that will defend this product tooth and nail. If the product is good it will stand on it's own, there is no need to defend it people. This product does very well because it is marketed to be that way. There are more people at home with these suffering from that consumer illness

kollector   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 08, 2008]
Strength:

strong accoustics

must be proper position and proper calibration
but once you get it right, it's amazing

This is one of the best speakers on the market. (for it's price) It is incredible what these speakers can do. The trick is knowing how to calibrate and position the speakers properly. A nice amp. will also be helpful. Accoustic is amazing. Overall, very nice sounding speakers for music lovers.

Similar Products Used: jbl, AR, mission, mirage
Adam Henry   AudioPhile [Jul 04, 2008]
Strength:

Nicely balanced high freq extention, midrange performance of the 901 is superior to 99% of the current so called "High End" market. The low frequency performance of the 901 is jaw dropping for a speaker so small.
The 901 can be used with amplifiers generating as little as 20 watts RMS or as large as 450 watts RMS
This speaker is small for the amount of accoustic energy it is capable of producing and the power its intended to absorb. Dynamic range is more than 106 db.
The Bose 802 is a commercial cousin of the 901 and is widely used in club venues for PA, instrument and voice reproduction. Another excellent product as well.

DEMANDS that ONLY the Bose 901 Active Equalizer be utilized and CORRECTLY input into system for playback.
Room placement and distance from the wall might be a negative for some.

Bose 901 Series IV Direct Reflection Loudspeaker. Perhaps the most successful, and prolific loudspeaker design ever produced.
The 901 represents the career work of Dr Amar G. Bose Phd and contains some of the most innovative and clever out of the box thinking of any product of its type ever manufactured, presently available today.
The 40 year commercial success of the 901 Direct Reflecting concept speaks for itself as Bose remains today, one of the most respected, successful and universally recognized Icons in audio.

Customer Service

Bose has never given me anything less than excellent service from factory reps or retail vendors

Similar Products Used: Bose 802 III w/ bass modules
Bose factory automotive systems
Bose headphones
yannaros   Casual Listener [May 03, 2008]
Strength:

Grate sound

I am still looking

Rotel RA 980 BX 2X100W Intergraded Amplifier
Monster cable Power line 2
Thorens turntable TD 166 MK VI ......

....Bose 901 VI's looked to be happy with that.....

Make sure you use a good Intergraded Amplifier and NOT a receiver

Customer Service

Good

Similar Products Used: Roister Steeles 150 W each. 4 Ohms (European speakers that I used for 20 years)
Gdoug   Casual Listener [Apr 16, 2008]
Strength:

Clear natural rich sound (live) ,undestructible, Sounds very clear at high volume. You can hang them. Good resale value. Small in size

Needs proper placement to achive optimum sound. Does not have superb seperation especially at lower volume. Needs it's own outboard EQ.

After reading some of these reviews I have to put my three cents in being a long time Bose owner. I first bought my 901s series IV in 1982 at anover seas Exchange for under $ 800 new, which I power with some Marantz Esotec amps which put out about 150 rms. I still have that system to this very day.(yes I gone through the re- foaming routine) I think I payed $20 for the refoam kit back in the early nintys and it took about 8 hours.

I believe the sound of the 901s is very rich and natural if set up properly in the right surroundings. They can sound poorly also if not set up right, or cluthered surroundings. They do need the 901 eq hooked up or foget it.The 901s have a different sound than most other speaker. I'd best describe the sound as more toward live and lots of midrange.You also need to play them a little louder then conventional speakers to achive any seperation. The 901s are not a speaker you need to sit in front of due to their reflective sound production, so any seats a good seat . I came across a pair of 901 series VI in the mid nintys and now run all four. To me the sound is similar between the IVs and the VIs . The VIs may sound a bit clearer but look sweeter. I am only using the EQ from the VIs . for all four, I could not tell any difference in the IVs.

As far as comparing the 901s to other brand speakers ,high end or not ,thats for your ears only. Ive had other speaker such as Paradigm monitors {which I still have}, Klipsch Belle, RTR towers. No mater what speaker you have there is always something better and everybody has different taste. All the speaker out there offer something different and lack something else. Bose being called an over priced speaker, well folks, tell me what speaker out there is not over- priced? I don't care what it's made out of. GOLD ? Ya right!!!
So in concusion I like the Bose 901s , they work for me but they're not for everbody.If you are thinking about buying a set I'd say look around and try at least four different brands of speakers (in that price range)in your own home including the 901s. You can always take them back. If the store does not have that policy shop else where. Cheers folks and happy listening