B&W P6 Floorstanding Speakers

B&W P6 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

6.5" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1995-1997)

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 22, 2018]
B&Wguru

Strength:

Brilliant speakers, good build quilty decent bass and a Perfect mid range. Tho this speakers need alot of Power to really pop out. Atleast a 110w i 8 ohm. If you give them the Power they deserve they will deliver :) I use 4 for this, ( on in each corner of the room ) and With NAD / XTZ AMPS this Plays fantastic. i personaly use 4 of this, o

Tweeters can dry up and some says the tweeter is a little hash on high volume, there is a simpel fix for this, Buy a Wifa tweeter they have one that fits perfectly in the house on the top :) + is makes the total sound of the speaker sound even better. Problem solved. Can be tought to find a proper placement but when you do Your in for a good session :)

Price Paid:
469 USD
Purchased:
Used
[Mar 18, 2018]
JohnMorr

Strength:

See my 2002 review, where I gave it 5 stars. Haven't changed that verdict, but a word of warning on accompanying electronics. Along with the P6s I upgraded to Arcam A85 series amp, CD player and tuner. Over 15 years the displays faded away (and cannot be replaced) and the sound seemed to lack vibrancy. So last week I got shot of the 3-piece Arcam set-up and replaced the items with an Arcam Solo Music. What a difference! All of a sudden the sound came alive again. Admittedly I also splashed out on an Arcam rPhono MC pre-amp - which was not cheap - to get the best out of my 1000+ vinyl records. And boy is the combo good! The MC stage in the A85 wasn't bad, but the rPhono knocked it into a cocked hat. The impedance input setting for my Linn Karma cartridge needs to be set to 550 ohms to get good balance, but the integration is remarkable. But ... The Solo is clear and bright, yet lacks something in the bottom range. Not sure why, but well-known bass lines have retreated considerably. Given that the Solo must have a flat output and that the P6s are supposed to go down to 40Hz I am somewhat baffled. However I am investing in a Cambridge Audio Minx X200 subwoofer which should allow me to tweak the bass sufficiently. The P6s will remain forever.

[Dec 26, 2012]
John
AudioPhile

I brought the P6 in 1997 for US$1200.
I used Rotel RA-971 Int-Amp, then Denon AV-amp, then Digital Amp (Trends Audio 10.1).
The speaker did not sound its best until I switched to Adcom GFA-565 (pre-amp) and Adcom GPA-555 (power-amp). The bass quality of the P6 improves a lot with the Adcom.

It appears that a good amp is required for its full potential.

[May 29, 2012]
Alain Deflandre
Audio Enthusiast

These BAD BOYS are absolutely incredible. For the MONEY you are getting what used to be an AWARD WINNING SPEAKER in England. I purchased new,the pair I have are ROSEWOOD and they are sublime. Real beautiful wood. I run these with a Rotel A/V 1068 for Home Theater and Music with Rotel class AMP and I would not GIVE THEM UP if someone was pointing a gun at me for the speakers ! The sound puts you in HEAVEN, if you Biwire and have the best in AMPS.

I am combing the internet for a second pair. Not easy to find.

[Mar 22, 2012]
ANDREAS
AudioPhile

hello! i have these speakers as second hand the last 10 years.My amps are by Musical Fidelity, E20/ E30 .The much is perfect!! I've change the cables inside and then....perfect!! I have and the B&W 801 S3 also with the same amps.About P6, very rich sound,warm, nice built, and i think for their category are one of the best!! But ONLY with changing the cables...

[Jan 03, 2012]
Kevin Parker

Hello All,
I've been using the B+W P6 speakers for some years now. I bought a pair when they first came out. This was after spending some hours testing and comparing just about everything around the similar price point.
After listening to these for over 12 years now I still haven't heard anything out there that beats them in their price range area. I originally used all top level NAD gear with them but found despite the marvellous sound of NAD gear the reliability let the NAD gear down. I've since replaced all my equipment with Cambridge Audio and this is goin very well. The new Cmbridge DX series amps drive the B+W P6's very well. You do need a good high current amp to do justice to the B+W's.
Some have made the suggestion that the bass is a biy shy on these speakers. I do not know how that can be. I feel that their incredible bass is one of the great features of this model. Play the CD from the movie "Crimson Tide". This may depend on the room you are in; say carpet floors or polished cypress pine for instance. We have polished wooden floors and have no problems with the bass reponse. In fact I would suggest that a sub woofer would be quite a waste of time hooked up with these speakers unless it was a Valadyne and could produce to 18 cycles. This could have some thing to do with hearing ability as well.
The high frequencies are pretty much spot on I feel and have never experienced the high end fatigue as some have suggested. Keep in mind that as you age your high frequency hearing changes anyway. Just put on a frequency test disc and get some children around. They will continue to hear various frequencies long after us oldies cannot hear them at all.
From time to time I review new speakers just to see if I should update. So far I've heard nothing yet within the realms of financial common sense that would prompt me to do so. If I did I would probably go up the B+W food chain a bit into the Nutalis or Abbey road style; but then that meand new amps and so on. Where do you stop. Audvest cables (VERY PRICEY) can give your speakers an almost "Born Again" experience, worthwhile considering. Cheers.

[Mar 15, 2007]
Bob Berryman
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great bass ,mid clarity the whole package with nice looks,A good price now they are a few years old.

No weakness i can pin point.

Hi,I have ran these speakers for a month or so now,and will probaly never sell them,thats how much i like them.I am running them with a shanling cdt80 and a matching shanling amp,50 watts class a,straightwire stage cables,taralabs quantum 4 interconnects.Some music im playing now is nearly jaw dropping.

Customer Service

Im not sure being second hand

Energy Rc 30,tannoy ,whafedale

[Feb 06, 2004]
bubbles
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

lovely midrange,clear vocals.

bright fatiguing treble

These speakers really look stunning,I have the cherry finished model and really look beautiful with the usual B&W quality finish. The speakers have some very good qualities,are crystal clear in the midrange in the typical B&W fashion,for the size of them I was expecting more bass and was quite suprised at how low they didn't actually go!! I find them to be quite lean and this is in a small room, a result the quite suprised me. But my biggest niggle is that they sound bright bright bright,its quite relentless the extreme top end that can prove to be fatiguing over extended listening periods like it's trying too hard and giving too much detail,especially on pop music,on classical I didn't find it so noticable. They image reasonably well and can place the vocals in the centre of the mix and give of little hidden effects which ither speakers would probably miss. All in all a good speaker,brilliant?no,not in my opinion,the treble just lets it down a bit too much for me.

B&W CDM1,601, 301,SF concertino homes,

[Feb 18, 2003]
Krisvdk
AudioPhile

Strength:

nice looks, good value, B&W quality build with impressive finishing.

dip between bass and mid, lacks soundstage

Very nice looking speaker, fits in almost any environment and is rather wife-friendly. Sounds a bit booming with a dip between bass and mid. Lacks precise soundstaging.

CDM-9NT, Matrix 802S3, Mission 753

[Jul 05, 2002]
johnmorr
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Marvellous mid-range clarity, tremendous volume (if you need it) from a slim box, great looks with no need to remove the grille cloth.

Slightly recessed extreme top-end; bass (ported) is full but lacks the bottom 20-40Hz.

Many years ago I had Spendor BC1s, with a wonderfully clear mid-range. Looking for better bass, I changed them for Epos ES14s - big mistake, with an edgy mid-range. As a pre-retirement present to myself I decided to upgrade most of the system and spent some time listining to floor-standing speakers. The (then discontinued) P6s were clearly the best, with Spendor-like clarity and really deep bass. I'm now moving to the latest Arcam amplification, which looks like allowing the P6s to give of their best - no plans to change them for the foreseeable future.