B&W P5 Floorstanding Speakers

B&W P5 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

3-way, 4th-order twin vented box, free floorstander speakers - 6.5" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 10, 2016]
luci125

Answer to serafin:
you don't need to replace the tweeters. If you clean them (remove the old ferrofluid gunk from the voice coil and magnet part) and add new ferroluid, they will be as good as new. Get the right amount of high quality ferrofluid for 1" tweeter (100µL) for each tweeter.

[Feb 28, 2014]
serafin
Audio Enthusiast

Hi, i have this p5 Floor skeaker since 1996, but I need to replace the tweeters. Could someone recommend me a Tweeter brand, cause B & W does not have spare for this Speaker.
Thank in advace for your advice: Serafin Spain.

[Oct 05, 2012]
Henrik Taagaard
Audio Enthusiast

Bought these speakers some months ago, and shifted the tweeters. They are very good looking and well build; real Ash tree. I use bi-wire, and they simply sound amazing; very rich sound, with lots of clarity and detail. The bass is so deep and well balanced, when watching a film it feels like being in a cinema. As well voices sound great; lots of depth and body. If you can find a pair, I highly recommend them. I have listened to many speakers, and these are absolutely the best I have heard. Of course I think they as well would be quite expensive if i had to buy them from new today in my country; Denmark.

[Sep 27, 2012]
paul chatham
AudioPhile

Since I bought the very little-used pair P5 from my brother who owns Thiel, I must say I've been very impresses with the clear, crisp, floating mid-range and highs. When listening to female voices, be it sopranos or those in an 8-voice,20-voice masses, they really stand out from the background bass. I suppose the dynamic gains are much higher,across the spectrum, in B&W than in other speakers. I tested much more expensive speakers like ProAc, Usher, TAD, etc. driven by big amplifiers(to give solid sound,but lacking the 'float characteristics of B&W), and P5 wins hands down.
The bass is quite adequate, one can feel the power everytime the drum hits.

[May 01, 2011]
Michael H.

Just a great speaker!

[Apr 16, 2009]
jfoekens
Audio Enthusiast

I've had teh P5's for two months now and like I read here, the Tweeters are doing practically nothing..
I've ordered a new set but now I don't know how to replace the old ones, coud anyobe help me??

email: jfoekens@hotmail.com

[Jan 29, 2008]
skipper320
AudioPhile

Strength:

Midrange liquidity
Deep, tight bass
Smooth and airy highs
Cabinet construction is second to none
Biwireable, which IMO makes a HUGE difference
Support from B&W even for as long as they have been discontinued

Tweeters????
Terminals are not staggered which makes connection via spades a bit cumbersome. SO What go with bananas

I purchased a pair of P5's in black ash. I know, the cherry finish is gorgeous, but I couldn't pass this pair up for the price. I have been listening to them for well over a year now and I can honestly say, they are the best speakers I have ever had in my system. The midrange is silky smooth with extended, but never harsh highs. The bass is deep and tight without being boomy. I am driving these with a Jolida 202a integrated tube amplifier. It puts out 40 wpc and it makes the P5's sing!.
One thing I did discover while tinkering is that the soundstage and midrange open way up when they are biwired. It made a huge difference in both width and depth.
If you can biwire, do it. You will be amazed. I listen to mostly jazz, vocals, and easy rock and they all sound as they should, clean, clear and fluid. Fortunately, I haven't had the same problems with the tweeters as other owners, but I was told by B&W tech support that they are available through them.
I couldn't be happier with these and I think You would need to spend much more to get a speaker this good in todays market. If you find a used pair, don't hesitate
BUY THEM!

System:
Jolida 202a amplifier
CAL CL-15 CD player
Project 2xpression turntable Grado gold cartridge
Synergistic alpha x2 speaker and interconnects

Customer Service

Excellent I needed a new set of spikes and they had them.
I was also told for all who need them thet they carry the tweeters as well

Paradigm studio 60's
Triangle antal

[Jun 11, 2018]
jay2211
Model Reviewed: P5

Strength:

Good balance for both home theater and music. Adequate but not excessive or boomy bass. Clean, attractive appearance. Good build quality (these have moved with me about 7 times in the past 12 years, and I lost the boxes years ago). Backed by a company that stocks spare parts for 12-year old products and has tech support people you can reach over the phone (at least here in the US).

Finite lifespan of tweeter... tech support guy said the cooling fluid tends to dry/leak out. I imagine this problem isn't be unique to B&W.

Purchased these about 12 years ago. Have been using them as fronts in a home theater for the last 2 years. After reading another review on this site I took a closer listen to them in a stereo configuration and realized the tweeters weren't doing much. I ordered a replacement set from B&W for about $130 (2 x dome + driver) and it's like night and day... hard to believe I hadn't noticed how bad they'd gotten, but I guess the other (much newer) speakers in the system were picking up the slack. In any case, the upgrade was simple (the tweeters can be gently pried out from the front). As an experiment, while doing the replacement I listened to one speaker with and without its old tweeter - there was some difference, but not that much. Now they sound great and I want to start listening to music again.

Customer Service

Fantastic. The new tweeters were manufactured in April 2007 so it seems B&W is still making replacement parts for a 12+ year-old product.

[Jul 16, 2006]
zipcode100
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Georgous rosewood cabinets, Sound, Size

Tweeters ???

I Bought those on eBay without ever hearing those speakers, based soly on their appearence and the company's reputation at making some of the best speakers in the world. The first time I listened to them I noticed a total lack of high frequencies. After close examination I found that both tweeters were playing at about 10% capacity. Since they are ferofluid metal domes, I suspect that with age, something went wrong around the voice coil. Until I can find new factory replacement tweeters, I substittuted a pair of Technics tweeters and I must say that they now sound extremely good. The bass is abundant yet very tight, not boomy or muddy at all. The mids could not possibly be sweeter and the newly found highs make them sound like they should. Wheter or not new factory tweeters would improve their sound, I don't know. But I would like to keep them original so if anybody know where I can find B&W P5 replacement tweeters, I would welcome their suggestion.

ESS, JBL,KEF

[Apr 09, 2005]
MadDogMcQ
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Deep, tight bass. Open, clear midrange. Sweet top-end.

Not enough of them to go around!

I'm no audiophile, but I've been enjoying hi-fi for over 25 years. I'm known for constantly upgrading hi-fi components, always in search of that elusive hi-fi heaven. For the last 10 years though NOTHING I've heard has made me want to change my gorgeous P5's!!! I bought them a decade ago, when 900 was one helluva lot of money to me and my family. Having said that, the fact that I've been so happy with them has probably saved me a great deal of money over the years. Back in 1995 I auditioned quite a few floor-standers of the day and NONE came close to the P5. As much as I'd previously enjoyed Castle speakers previously, the B&W's trashed any model I listened to. And it wasn't a case of "straining" to tell the difference, the mighty P5's demolished the competition with complete authority. The only thing I heard which beat the P5 was the P6 (which I just couldn't afford). I recall enjoying the Mission 753 too, but it didn't have the same slam and presence as the P5. Reading through the other reviews, I cannot for the life of me understand the "Cindy" 3-star rating and the talk of little or no bass (there's something wrong with your system)!! The P5 absolutely EXCELS in the BASS department. It can plumb the depths of 28Hz which really does question the value of subwoofers even in an AV setup. The mid and low bass of the P5 is exceptional!!! I've never heard another speaker in this price bracket (and above) come close. And how Cindy can say these babies aren't suited to Jazz I do not know....jazz sounds soooo cool thru P5s. A WORD OF WARNING though.... My speakers are 10 years old. 10 years of regular use at strong volume levels. If you buy a used pair of P5's off Ebay or anywhere else, please bear in mind that all speaker cones are MECHANICAL DEVICES which are subject to wear and tear just like anything else. In ANY SPEAKER, the drive units will become "tired" over a period of a decade and will not be as responsive as they were when in their youth. Its a fact! I recently changed the drive units on mine (genuine B&W parts) and WOW, what a difference!!! You don't notice the deterioration over the years, just as you don't notice your own kids growing :-) Don't believe it?? Try replacing just ONE tweeter in a pair of 10 year old speakers and see what happens. Anyway, back to the amazing P5's. If you see these for sale, don't hesitate even for a moment - go buy them. They are first class speakers which are difficult to equal with todays offerings unless you pay an awful lot of money. P5's are TRUE CLASSICS!!

Castle, Mission, Dynaudio.