B&W 800D Floorstanding Speakers

800D

As befits a speaker of this calibre, the 800D contains several unique refinements, most notably the ultimate in crossover capacitors using silver and gold metals.

Canoa70   AudioPhile [Mar 10, 2007]
Strength:

All i'd say

None

For me this is quite simple, it's the best speaker i've heard.
The sound is so natural from bottom to top.
My system:
Chord CPA-5000 reference
Chord SPM-14000 ultimate reference
Chord Symphonic phonostage
Aesthetix Rhea
Micro Seiki BL-91L (SME 3012RG/Ortofon SPU gold)
Rui Borges Turntables Tristar (SME V, SME 312, Graham Robin) (Benz Micro LP, Van den Hul Grasshopper, Dynavector 17D2 MKII) all van den hul cables
Accuphase DP90/DC91
VH audio flavour 4 power cords
Wireworld gold eclipse V all over (sources and speakers
B&W 800D and Dynaudio Confidence C4
Jocavi acoustic treatment

Similar Products Used: Dynaudio Confidence C4, Dynaudio Evidence Temptation, JM Lab electra 936, JM lab electra 927Be, B&W 802 nautilus.
Paulo   AudioPhile [Feb 18, 2007]
Strength:

All

None

I've owned a few speakers and still own some of them, none comes close to what the 800D can do. Great balance all over from deep deep bass to great highs.
Some might think that it has to much bass, but this i simply because most people aren't used to this much bass (always controled if you have the power for them)
My system is as follows:

Chord CPA-5000 reference
Chord SPM-14000 ultimate reference
Chord Symphonic phonostage
Aesthetix Rhea
Micro Seiki BL-91L (SME 3012RG/Ortofon SPU gold)
Accuphase DP90/DC91
VH audio flavour 4 power cords
Wireworld gold eclipse V all over (sources and speakers
B&W 800D and Dynaudio Confidence C4
Jocavi acoustic treatment

For me is simple it's the best speaker i've heard and should probably be the best speaker at any price.
I've had Dynaudio Evidence Temptation on the same room and the 800D are simply better on all areas.

Similar Products Used: Dynaudio Confidence C4, Dynaudio Evidence Temptation, JM Lab electras, B&W 802 nautilus
Jesse111   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 11, 2006]
Strength:

For my ears, the strengths supurb in every way.

While I've found that many speakers have certain strenghths in one area or another. The 800D is the best all around speaker I've heard to date. Listening time is unlimited. Fatigueless. They thrive much better on quality high power of 500 watts or more. When placed properly in a room with at leas 2 feet from the back wall and plenty of room on the sides, the bass is the most accurate I've ever heard. Never thin or strained but abundant and musical.

The mids and highs are the best in the business to me. Detail with a musical sweetness that is second to none. I don't care for the unatural resolution that some speakers offer adding unrealistic performance detail. The 800D sounds real to me. Effortless and emotionally engaging. B&W has found a way to combine the highest quality detail without losing the musical emotion that I feel the artist wants us to hear and feel. Quite a feet if you ask me. After set up and the WOW factor wears off, analysis fades and the love of the music is delivered to you. Build quality is spectacular and driven with the quality gear that I have, I am still getting the goose bumps a 6 months later.

Cincy2   AudioPhile [Oct 01, 2005]
Strength:

Build quality, gorgeous tone, pin point imaging, large soundstage, strain free treble

Only one. B&W for some reason continues to refuse to ship you spikes with the speakers. You have to send them proof of purchase then they ship you the spikes separately. Makes no sense

I replaced a pair of N801's with the Nautilus 800Ds. My first impression out of the box was that the build quality, already exceptional, was even better. The speaker binding posts are all metal and placed horizontally instead of vertically. The cabinet is a single piece molded to meet the front baffle. Leather surrounds the mid range cube. After the usual 100 hours of break-in, I heard a more natural tone than the 801's possessed. This realism made my good recordings from Chesky, Mapleshade and Opus3 sound revelatory. The soundstage was wide and deep with a healthy sized sweet spot. As for the new diamond tweeter, I was awestruck. It shows itself by the sense of ease in strings and brass when they reach a crescendo. No strain, no pain. I haven't spiked them yet because I'm an incorrigable tweeker but the spikes provided are also very well designed. The spike can be reversed to a rubber foot if you are placing them on a hard surface that you don't want to gouge. Taken as a whole, this speaker with my front end/amp combo (dCS Verdi La Scala, Elgar Plus and Verona Master clock, Halcro DM68 monoblocks) creates the best sound I have ever heard anywhere at any price. Spooky realism in vocals, melodius tone, seamless blending of all frequency ranges. I am totally satisfied and can't wait to see what B&W will do next.