B&W 684 Floorstanding Speakers

The extended bass response and output capacity of the 2½-way 684 floorstander make it a great choice for hi-fi or home cinema in medium-sized to large rooms.

It features a new combination of a pair of Kevlar® cones for delivering its bass and midrange. The lower cone is dedicated to bass, which relieves the upper bass/midrange unit of the duty to handle heavy bass and leads to clearer, crisper midrange than you might find in smaller speakers. The Nautilus™ tube-loaded, aluminium dome tweeter, featuring a new surround material to improve spaciousness and imaging, adds needle-sharp top end all the way to 50kHz and beyond.

The improvements to the drive units in the new 600 Series make it possible, for the first time, to introduce a minimalist crossover to the range. The use of components that are fewer in number but higher in quality – hand-picked in exhaustive listening tests – reduces the degradation of the signal significantly. So, whether you’re enjoying hi-fi or home cinema, what you hear is that much closer to what was recorded.

Visually, a refreshed, contemporary design language and a widened choice of wood finishes allows the 684 to fit in effortlessly with any interior.

Mr. Paul   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 29, 2015]

Bi-wired using Audioquest cables, connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-65 (plenty of DC-3 power) and amazed at the reviews of those who say they have no bass. We enjoy tremendous base response from the woofer, as well as what we hear from our sub-woofer. Perhaps your a/v receiver is not calibrated properly to deliver the best sound response. I think sometimes those who submit reviews are so hyper critical of anything, that they tell you to skip a certain model. I sold B & W speakers for years, and a big majority of time the 684 sounded so much more fuller in the mid-range over the 683 due to the fact it has 2 Kevlar mid range drivers vs the 683 single Kevlar midrange. Sound is always subjective, and to my ears both the Pioneer Elite and the 684 speakers totally satisfy my needs and that is all I have to say. If it sounds good to your ears, buy it!

TVC preamp   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 16, 2014]

Mettalic sound. Almost nearly ausence of bass. Ear fatigue, lots of. Harsh. But looks great. BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOUND. Save your money, time and energy and use the bucks for a long decades trusted danish loudspeaker builder that dont fool you with expensive aesthetics "cool colour" materials and a cheap sound.

Ole Nielsen   AudioPhile [Jul 27, 2012]

I bought my B & W 684 in 2008, after having had a set of Dali 7A for 17 years. B & W 684 requires long play intro time. Approximately 1000 hours! Initially, I used an amplifier from Thule PA100 / PR100 but swapped it out with a Lyngdorf. This made the speakers were much better and more distinct in the treble and midrange. Also I thought that was missing deep bass from 40Hz and down, so I bought a B & W subwoofer and stuffed foam plugs into basreflexportene front and rear.
Product Manager Scandinavia Mr. Ole Vidar A. has said that Bowers & Wilkins has spent far more money on the crossover at 684 than at 683!
I am very happy with my set of B & W 684, they require a powerful amplifier, responsive to improvements in quality and need a subwoofer at 40Hz-20Hz.

Andrew   AudioPhile [Jun 23, 2012]

I have bought these 684 speakers after listening to the 684 and the 683. The 684 has a more detailed midrange and the bass does not obstruct the midrange like the 683.
I have these babies bi wired with a powerful amp, the pioneer elite ax5ais and the result is exceptional. These babies require power. At first, I had the foam plugs in the front holes, but after removing these,the speakers bass was more powerful and beautiful. I listen to different genres of music, especially were a lot of vocals are involved and it seems that the singer is just right in front of you. Just to try these beauties, check the album from Eros Ramazzotti - dove ce musica.........You will be amazed by the quality of the babies......Dont listen to the guys that give bad reviews and tell you that the 683s are better. The recipe for good music is a powerful and good amp, high end wires and the B&W 684s.....

Sometimes I use these speakers for movies as fronts. They deliver in this area too

Nativebon   Audio Enthusiast [May 01, 2011]

Ok i Got the B&W's 684 speakers replacing my tannoy R2 spaekers And immediatately i could tell these speakers were bright. Theses speakers were not going as low as the Tannoy R2s in home cinema setting.
Really disappionted with theses speakers & doin away with them.

Craig   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 29, 2011]

The 684's are a great speaker. They have incredible attention to detail and no matter what voume i play them at, they perform with exceptional qulaity. If you want real bass ........ bring in a sub woofer. I'm big fan of the B&W systems although maybe easily pleased having upgraded from Bose!

That being said everyones taste is different and you cant beat the experience of auditioning to find what it is you are looking for.

meir   AudioPhile [Jan 31, 2011]

weak bass, crapy mids.the b&w 684 deliver poor bass and weak midrange. too bright.
my rotel ra-1070 dont like the b&w 684.
now with my new b&w 683 all the sound much much greater.

robin gordon   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 29, 2011]

An aging man looking for his youth again I looked at the pile of aging Hi-fi equipment left in the garage & wondered WHY?
So when the opportunity presented in came the hifi stand and the Denon Mono-blocks my old Rotel pre-amp, my cd840 and my Bose speakers. In no time I was up and running but then inside a week the Bose had packed in. What now? I checked out those 901s I always wanted but £1600 before I could even hear them..... Hmmmmmm I want to be sure of what I spend my money on.
I tried a mates CVs but bass was good but the rest got very muddied after I listened and they got warmed up.
As I live on a wee island off the UK mainland then it wasnt gonna be easy toaudition a lot of speakers (not helped by the fact that all the local hifi dealers have become surround sound/home cinema specialists)
I read a few reviews and was impressed by the b&w reviews for their 685 speakers but if I was going to spend that money I would have to but the correct stands and this made it look like the bigger floor-standers would be cheaper. Hello eBay.
After a few weeks I got a set of 684s for £400 off some hi-fi dealer in Scotland and within a week I was the proud owner. That was till I wired them up. They just didnt hit the spot.
I checked out the sponges but didnt want to go through the rigour of some in some out so I put the full sponges in. Yipee the Bass was finally what I wanted but maybe a little over the top, drowning out some of the mid-range detail. Not a happy bunny I was ready to ebay the blighters and then I took out the sponges and tried them with the central core removed leaving just the outer sleeve and 'Hey Presto' they were sorted.
At last. They can take anything I throw at them and the louder the better. They are incredible.
The 684s dont fill the room as the Bose did but they sound so much better.... much better.
The wife hasnt got so attached to them but if I let her play Bon Jovi loud on them then theyre growing on her too. What more of a recommendation do you want, even my wife can listen to them, hahaha

burtonreed1968   AudioPhile [Sep 20, 2010]

owned a pair of B&W 602 S3 (bookshelf speakers) prior to purchasing my B&W 684 and one would have thought that option to purchase the 684 was natural one having been accustomed to the B&W brand previously, however this was not the case at all and the process proved to be a rather difficult considering the high quality of speakers currently available in the market. Using the What Hi-Fi speaker reviews as I guide I finally shortlisted my preferences to the Monitor Audio RX6 and B&W 684 which I planned to audition with my some of favourite recordings, needless to say both speakers offered the best sound quality one could expect at a particular price point. Finally and after weeks of deliberation I finally decided to buy the B&W 684 simply because I felt that it shared a greater synergy with my new Rotel RA1520 amplifier. I have since spent many hours listening to the B&W 684 and have NO reason to regret my purchase, they are beautifully built and have a natural sound that will please the most avid listener, they also have great affinity for detail and are willing to “let loose” when required.

Buy with confidence as the 684 is great package that offers excellent value for money

Valkilm   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 21, 2009]

I have this wonderfull B&W 684 speakers since April this year and before I had a Mission 702e.

This is such an improvement over my old speakers and also now I have a NAD C355BEE amplifier with a NAD C545BEE cd player connected to them. Before I had QED speaker cables but now changed to Atlas Hyper 3.0 for bass and Hyper 1.5 for treble.

First this is excelent speakers, and not like this guy is saying here that they are not good, please go to the doctor and make a treatment to your hears!

It's true that it must be carrefully matched otherwise it can sound bright, but all systems needs carefully partnering, don't they?

This B&W's deliver great great bass, open clear midrange and nice treble extension, and they sing best at high volumes, so crank your volume to get the best of them