B&W 684 Floorstanding Speakers

B&W 684 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

The extended bass response and output capacity of the 2½-way 684 floorstander make it a great choice for hi-fi or home cinema in medium-sized to large rooms.

It features a new combination of a pair of Kevlar® cones for delivering its bass and midrange. The lower cone is dedicated to bass, which relieves the upper bass/midrange unit of the duty to handle heavy bass and leads to clearer, crisper midrange than you might find in smaller speakers. The Nautilus™ tube-loaded, aluminium dome tweeter, featuring a new surround material to improve spaciousness and imaging, adds needle-sharp top end all the way to 50kHz and beyond.

The improvements to the drive units in the new 600 Series make it possible, for the first time, to introduce a minimalist crossover to the range. The use of components that are fewer in number but higher in quality – hand-picked in exhaustive listening tests – reduces the degradation of the signal significantly. So, whether you’re enjoying hi-fi or home cinema, what you hear is that much closer to what was recorded.

Visually, a refreshed, contemporary design language and a widened choice of wood finishes allows the 684 to fit in effortlessly with any interior.

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 15, 2019]
Hobbsmack

Strength:

I had to pipe in after reading the one star review from the self proclaimed audiophile...lol...too bright?... that means you're doing something wrong guy....they need more power, a better configuration, bi-wire and bi-amp them and put a good sub inbetween them and your amp...and give them their own amp too...and stop hooking shit up wrong I guess if you're going to call yourself an audiophile...I mean to each their own but 1 star for 684's?....Nope...definitely not too bright....that means two things. That applies to the other yahoos that gave 1 and 2 stars too...who also chose to get angry instead of educated...I think one said his Sony cd player was far superior to the Marantz 7001...I'm pretty sure he didn't buy the Marantz or he would have been really mad.

They're not fireproof.

Price Paid:
500.00
Purchased:
Used
[May 09, 2019]
bluebison

Strength:

Amazon all around sound and clarity. For those who reviewed these speakers as subpar or anything less than crisp and full, maybe they should have the speakers set up by a professional along with the proper accessories and components.

None. Best value in home audio.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Oct 29, 2015]
Mr. Paul
Audio Enthusiast

Bi-wired using Audioquest cables, connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-65 (plenty of DC-3 power) and amazed at the reviews of those who say they have no bass. We enjoy tremendous base response from the woofer, as well as what we hear from our sub-woofer. Perhaps your a/v receiver is not calibrated properly to deliver the best sound response. I think sometimes those who submit reviews are so hyper critical of anything, that they tell you to skip a certain model. I sold B & W speakers for years, and a big majority of time the 684 sounded so much more fuller in the mid-range over the 683 due to the fact it has 2 Kevlar mid range drivers vs the 683 single Kevlar midrange. Sound is always subjective, and to my ears both the Pioneer Elite and the 684 speakers totally satisfy my needs and that is all I have to say. If it sounds good to your ears, buy it!

[Dec 16, 2014]
TVC preamp
Audio Enthusiast

Mettalic sound. Almost nearly ausence of bass. Ear fatigue, lots of. Harsh. But looks great. BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOUND. Save your money, time and energy and use the bucks for a long decades trusted danish loudspeaker builder that dont fool you with expensive aesthetics "cool colour" materials and a cheap sound.

[Jul 27, 2012]
Ole Nielsen
AudioPhile

I bought my B & W 684 in 2008, after having had a set of Dali 7A for 17 years. B & W 684 requires long play intro time. Approximately 1000 hours! Initially, I used an amplifier from Thule PA100 / PR100 but swapped it out with a Lyngdorf. This made the speakers were much better and more distinct in the treble and midrange. Also I thought that was missing deep bass from 40Hz and down, so I bought a B & W subwoofer and stuffed foam plugs into basreflexportene front and rear.
Product Manager Scandinavia Mr. Ole Vidar A. has said that Bowers & Wilkins has spent far more money on the crossover at 684 than at 683!
I am very happy with my set of B & W 684, they require a powerful amplifier, responsive to improvements in quality and need a subwoofer at 40Hz-20Hz.

[Jun 23, 2012]
Andrew
AudioPhile

I have bought these 684 speakers after listening to the 684 and the 683. The 684 has a more detailed midrange and the bass does not obstruct the midrange like the 683.
I have these babies bi wired with a powerful amp, the pioneer elite ax5ais and the result is exceptional. These babies require power. At first, I had the foam plugs in the front holes, but after removing these,the speakers bass was more powerful and beautiful. I listen to different genres of music, especially were a lot of vocals are involved and it seems that the singer is just right in front of you. Just to try these beauties, check the album from Eros Ramazzotti - dove ce musica.........You will be amazed by the quality of the babies......Dont listen to the guys that give bad reviews and tell you that the 683s are better. The recipe for good music is a powerful and good amp, high end wires and the B&W 684s.....

Sometimes I use these speakers for movies as fronts. They deliver in this area too

[May 01, 2011]
Nativebon
Audio Enthusiast

Ok i Got the B&W's 684 speakers replacing my tannoy R2 spaekers And immediatately i could tell these speakers were bright. Theses speakers were not going as low as the Tannoy R2s in home cinema setting.
Really disappionted with theses speakers & doin away with them.

[Mar 29, 2011]
Craig
Audio Enthusiast

The 684's are a great speaker. They have incredible attention to detail and no matter what voume i play them at, they perform with exceptional qulaity. If you want real bass ........ bring in a sub woofer. I'm big fan of the B&W systems although maybe easily pleased having upgraded from Bose!

That being said everyones taste is different and you cant beat the experience of auditioning to find what it is you are looking for.

[Jan 31, 2011]
meir
AudioPhile

weak bass, crapy mids.the b&w 684 deliver poor bass and weak midrange. too bright.
my rotel ra-1070 dont like the b&w 684.
now with my new b&w 683 all the sound much much greater.

[Jan 29, 2011]
robin gordon
Audio Enthusiast

An aging man looking for his youth again I looked at the pile of aging Hi-fi equipment left in the garage & wondered WHY?
So when the opportunity presented in came the hifi stand and the Denon Mono-blocks my old Rotel pre-amp, my cd840 and my Bose speakers. In no time I was up and running but then inside a week the Bose had packed in. What now? I checked out those 901s I always wanted but £1600 before I could even hear them..... Hmmmmmm I want to be sure of what I spend my money on.
I tried a mates CVs but bass was good but the rest got very muddied after I listened and they got warmed up.
As I live on a wee island off the UK mainland then it wasnt gonna be easy toaudition a lot of speakers (not helped by the fact that all the local hifi dealers have become surround sound/home cinema specialists)
I read a few reviews and was impressed by the b&w reviews for their 685 speakers but if I was going to spend that money I would have to but the correct stands and this made it look like the bigger floor-standers would be cheaper. Hello eBay.
After a few weeks I got a set of 684s for £400 off some hi-fi dealer in Scotland and within a week I was the proud owner. That was till I wired them up. They just didnt hit the spot.
I checked out the sponges but didnt want to go through the rigour of some in some out so I put the full sponges in. Yipee the Bass was finally what I wanted but maybe a little over the top, drowning out some of the mid-range detail. Not a happy bunny I was ready to ebay the blighters and then I took out the sponges and tried them with the central core removed leaving just the outer sleeve and 'Hey Presto' they were sorted.
At last. They can take anything I throw at them and the louder the better. They are incredible.
The 684s dont fill the room as the Bose did but they sound so much better.... much better.
The wife hasnt got so attached to them but if I let her play Bon Jovi loud on them then theyre growing on her too. What more of a recommendation do you want, even my wife can listen to them, hahaha