Athena Technologies S1 Floorstanding Speakers

S1

The S1 Loudspeaker is a 2-way design that can be used as front speakers, or rear channel speakers in a surround system.

NUTNICK   AudioPhile [Aug 04, 2003]
Strength:

Well built, GREAT SOUND.......and great buy---call 1-800-889-5845

Outstanding sound stage , with good detail factor -- They are very smooth for a fairly inexpensive speaker - Better then the POLK, INFINITY,OR JBL that are very typical in this price range

Similar Products Used: energy, paradigm, atlantic tech, M&K B&K
Carl S   AudioPhile [Nov 15, 2002]
Strength:

very loud. period.

not crisp, or clean. poor sound imaging.

the S1 is not as crisp and clean as they should be, depending on the choice of music, often are muddy sounding. the tweeters arn't as bright as desired.

Mark Heber   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 31, 2002]
Strength:

Clean highs, good midrange and solid base. Compact and attractive. Easy to use.

Subs are a bit too powerful. Had to isolate from cement floor.

Love these speakers (S1+P1). Awesome sound for price - movies, music - whatever.

Similar Products Used: Audio Research 3-way towers. Acoustic Research bookshelfs.
Scott Richardson   AudioPhile [Mar 21, 2002]
Strength:

Warm and sweet treble that is never harsh or too sharp on the ears, yet still very crystal clear. Smooth midrange that blends well with the treble. Great bass performance, even in a largish area, conzidering the size.

None so far

Listened to all the speakers in the store, and for thr price, these speakers are excellent! compared to Energy, Krix and others and these have much better quality in sound reproduction, from sweeter treble, to a bit more guts in the bass department. I have used these as mains for a few days but are now being used as rear speakers with S2''s at the front. these speakers are very articulate, and very smoothe. The midrange is very warm, and blends with the sweetness of the teteron textile dome tweeter nicely, and the bass extension on these is better than most speakers this size.

Similar Products Used: none
PhiL007   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 21, 2000]
Strength:

Low Price, frequency reponse, image, look.

None for this price

I've never heard something as good as Athena S1 for the same price. It's perfect for main speakers and for any kind of music. You can't do a bad choice with this cheap price. The design if perfect for any room.

Jonathan Chang   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 09, 2001]

None

I am using these speakers for the rear channel speakers for my home theatre system. They replaced my 15+ year old heavy duty speakers. I haven't tested them as the main channel speaker at my home, but I took a long time to test them out at the Video Only store playing musice just with the speakers. I think they produce high quality, well defined sound that is also very natural.

The size was also perfect for hangin on my back walls.

Blake Lewis   Audio Enthusiast [May 23, 2001]
Strength:

sound/looks/everything about them

none

at this price you can't go wrong, these speakers sound just as good as energy/polks/jbl/ect... at a much better price I think who ever bought a pair these got a steal.I advise any one looking for speakers to jump on any of the three models while you can. I don't think they will stay at this price for long.With the sub connected p1/p2/p3 these speakers look and sound as good as 3000 dollar speakers.I have the p1/s1 combo and they kick butt.My system consist of

yamaha receiver 100*5 output 500$
toshiba dvd 200$
polk audio center 250$ - will be switching to athena c1 for 175$
cambidge dipo/bipo rears 200$
athena s1/p1 mains 600$
This system did not sound that great with 200 watt technics that I had before.

Similar Products Used: energy/polks
William Hilow   Casual Listener [Jul 02, 2001]
Strength:

I dropped in to the VO on Vaness and was ably attended to by very knowledgable sales people.
I came to by a pair of sweet sounding $99 Sony Tower speakers. That is until I heard The S1 system. The system is compact so it fits into my small house in the Richmond D.
Anyway. I they had sold out so I bought the floor models. These things are a still. I listen to lots of R+b music as well as hiphop and rock, even rock musicals. They all sound effortless on these speakers. Very Transparent highs deep effortless bass. I walked out the door spending more than I wanted but now I have real speakers that are a pleasure to listen to without dominating my living room.
They really sound incledible. Oh yeah, I have both Subwoofers making these towers speakers.

Bill

None that I have found yet. The Neighbors have been giving me the evil eye though.

Great Speakers.

Mark   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 04, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent sound!! Especially in combination with matching P-1 subs.

Subs are a bit too powerful. Had get them off the concrete floor and dial back the power a bit.

Haven't heard anything that comes close to these for price, size, weight. These speakers rock and they handle classical just as well. Unless you're a anal perfectionist (And then you'd be shopping elsewhere.) these speakers are unbeatable.