Athena Technologies Audition AS-F1 Floorstanding Speakers

Athena Technologies Audition AS-F1 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 03, 2019]
Jeff B

Strength:

Find a pair buy them they are great its that simple !

None at this price point

Purchased:
Used
[Sep 13, 2015]
Musicman
Audio Enthusiast

Loved them from the day I got them 11 years ago or so; too long to remember. A serious audiophile said they were better than his $2000 set. Got them at Best Buy for about $300 on sale. BUT... my receiver just blew. Can't see wattage of the speakers. Anybody know what is required to run them smoothly?

[May 24, 2015]
irobb
Casual Listener

Can you believe I found four of these with the center channel at a local thrift store for a total of $45 for ALL five speakers???

I am laughing so hard.

[Apr 24, 2015]
Rob
Audio Enthusiast

I picked these up for $250 CDN used but still with original packaging. I LOVE THEM!!! I have heard more expensive speakers like Paradigm's entry level. I was not impressed with them. The Athenas are an absolute joy to listen to and I never get fatigued. Highs are clear as day, mids are intact (not muddy) and bass is very tight. The ONLY time I noticed the bass get a little boomy was when playing Sarah McLachlan's Solace album. Apart from that experience, these are solid performers.

[Dec 28, 2013]
ronnbot
Audio Enthusiast

I've been enjoying these speakers for a few years now and they are great. Almost replaced them with a pair of Energy RC-70, which are obviously better (more detailed, more laid back, better sound stage/image, more bass, and so on). But, I returned the RC-70 because it's hard to justify spending $1000 on a new set of speakers (that has an MSRP of >$2000) when there's nothing really wrong with the Athena speakers.

They're a little bright but not harsh like your typical Klipsch and is a perfect match for my Harman Kardon AVR3600, which are a bit warm. The sound imaging is so good, sometimes I thought I forgot to switch to 2ch from surround mode, i.e. sounds like the center channel is on. The sound staging is decent too, as it feels like my room is bigger with the sound source having more depth. Other than that, the mids and bass extension (with the bass on my receive up a bit) are good but obviously you still need a sub for movies, and they shine when watching movies.

[Nov 14, 2011]
Derek
Audio Enthusiast

Bought these 2nd hand off of Kijiji for $125 and love them! I did a lot of research before going out and getting these, as I had never heard of them, and am very glad that I did. Was upgrading for an old set of Technics SB-A28's and while they were good for 13yo speakers,they don't compare to these Athena's. Used primarily for movies and TV.. tested them out last night w/ 'Thor' and 'Captain America' on Blu-ray and was VERY impressed! Highly recommended!

[Aug 21, 2011]
Jon
AudioPhile

Picked these up at a local thrift. Brought them home & been running off a 40 year old Kenwood receiver. Never heard the Kenwood sound so good. Very clear & crisp highs. Nice punch on the low end. Nicely detailed mids for a 2 way speaker system. Research I did said these were good out of the box and did not need much break in time. If you can find a pair, get them. You would have to spead much more for the same sound quality.

[Dec 23, 2006]
The Dunes
Audio Enthusiast

Not much to add to the other reviews. But from the perspective of a vinyl lover I could not be happier. If you are looking for great highs and middles and smooth deep bass for your LPs these can't be beat.

[Dec 23, 2006]
The Dunes

[Feb 24, 2005]
Kynon
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Some of the most powerful bass capabilities I've seen on floorstanders this size. Incredible clarity.

If only it came in black...

I have been listening to these speakers for about five months post-breakin, and I must say that they are INCREDIBLE. I generally listen to tracks by artists like The Eagles and Jack Johnson, although my roommates insist on Hip-Hop when we have friends over. The bass of these is impressive enough that I don't see the need for a subwoofer, and the highs are clearer than anything I've yet heard. A couple of weeks ago, I visited several of my local hi-fi stores, looking for a good surround to compliment my Athenas. While I was there, I listened to many of their floorstanders by brands such as JBL, Klipsch, B&W, and some Paradigm. These other speakers were several times more expensive, and I must say I was unimpressed. I did not even need to A/B them against the Athenas to hear that they were nowhere near as clear and powerful sounding. I also noticed that I was listening to the speakers, not the music as I do back home in my listening chair.