Acoustic Research Phantom 5.2 Floorstanding Speakers

Phantom 5.2

On wall speakers

ethereal   Audio Enthusiast [May 11, 2004]

this is the best back sound for a cheaper price, have a great sound and quality

Similar Products Used: jbl, infinity, bose...
teorad   Casual Listener [Aug 20, 2002]
Strength:

Sound, aluminum decor, very contemporary, compliments my Sony Wega TV.

none.

Very nice sound. The sound just jumps out at you. I compared this speaker to a Klipsch Quintet...no comparison. This speaker sounded more natural than the small Quintet. Compared to the Phantom the Quintet sounded muddy and small.

Similar Products Used: Klipsch Quintet, Yamaha NSP 220, Aiwa bookshelf speakers.
Jason Rybak   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2002]
Strength:

Sound & size

None, as surrounds

I picked these up cheap, the 300 dolars included the stands. Anyway, I needed a speaker that could be on a stand, fit behind my couch in my lisening area. These were perfect, The pool table & other games that joins @ the back of my couch is less of an issue now that I have these THIN speakers. Sound great & look sharpe.

Yamaha RX-V995
Panisonic A120U
Marantz 60" WS
Paradigm Studio 20's (fronts)
Paradigm Studio CC (center)
Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
AR Phantom 5.2 (surround)

Similar Products Used: Infinity, JBL's, Bose
Josef Cuesico   Casual Listener [Aug 21, 2000]
Strength:

Good Bass, natural sound

Awkward wire hookup

I used these as surround speakers in my home theater setup. Even though the chassis is made out of metal, they sound natural, not harsh. They can also pump out a decent amount of bass. These are 2 way speakers. They have a 5 inch woofer and a 1 inch tweeter. I think this is how they got their name, 5 inch woofer, 2 way speakers. So the Phantom 8.3 has a 8" woofer, and it is a 3 way speaker. The 252C has 2 5" woofers, and it is a 2 way speaker. Anyways I digress. I mounted these speakers on the wall. The only thing about them is that hooking up the speaker wires to its 5 way binding posts can get tricky. But over all, I really like these speakers. They are not very conspicuous on the wall. I think you can buy similar sounding speakers for a lower price, but they would be thicker than 4" and would stick out from the wall alot. These speakers not only sound great, but they look great too.