Acoustic Research AR-318PS Floorstanding Speakers

AR-318PS

3-Way floorstanding speaker. An eight-inch high excursion woofer, five inch uni-cone midrange, and a one-inch polycarbonate tweeter

Stinkywizlteats   AudioPhile [May 17, 2003]
Strength:

Tight bass clean highs

Wish it had floor spikes to raise them off the floor a little but can't have evrything in life

Ok where to start: First off just to get a few things off my chest about the NA sayers about these speakers. For one these speakers are naught bright or have any cabinet vibrations that would be mistaken as depth. I have run these speakers for two and half years and have not heard anything but tight clean bass and smooth crisp highs. I'm a heavy listner of techno and heavy metal and a major movie buff. These speakers have meet my demands and or have surpassed them. To tell you the truth I had spent the better part of a year listening to various different speaker brands before settling with these and to tell you the truth I haven't been happier.

Similar Products Used: These are the speakers I viewed. Yamaha, Bose, KLH, and JBL. Coming from Maine we don't have to many stores that carrie the real hi-end speakers
chansman   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 06, 2002]
Strength:

Looks Sound reputation

whimpy cover not bi-wirable

I decided to go with these over the newer PS2262's (which is still a great speaker) after reading all the reviews. I actually only found 2 news pairs on the internet. These are simply tremendous for home theater use and are able to carry most low-end effects by their self. Musically they are of a superior sound quality...crisp highs, clear mids and tight bass. Adding a sub only makes them better!! GO BUY THEM NOW!!!

3651796   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 24, 2002]
Strength:

Good mid range and bass.

Need a little more in the high end. Sound was there but week

Wouldn''t you know I could only find one speaker and that is why I got it at such a good price. I connected it up as a center channel and it sounded good but without two of them, I could not really tell. I sure would like to find one more. I would use them for rear channels.

Similar Products Used: Bose 701, Bose 301, Cerwin Vega 12", Pioneer 6 ways.
INDYACD   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 09, 2002]
Strength:

if you look, REALLY LOW IN PRICE

Mid range over powers woofer at high volume

To me these speakers have compleatly done everything I wanted them to do. Great clerity and i havnt have one problem with them in my 2 years of owning them, I recomend these speaker to people who truly like clear sound, sure theres always a better speaker but who wants to pay $1000 per speaker

Similar Products Used: KLH Loud Speakers, (Way to much bass comming out of those 15" woofers)
John C   AudioPhile [Feb 05, 2002]
Strength:

not klipsch

not made any more

warm smooth sound. unlike those damning, awful klipsch tweeters, which are so bright that most people should get a splitting headache within minutes at a moderate listening level.

Similar Products Used: klipsch
John Bauder   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 04, 2000]
Strength:

Price, highs, female vocalists.

sound stage could be more defined.

These are the most accurate speakers I have owned. I have been listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Etta James and its like being in a club and hearing them live. My only complaint so far is the narrow sound stage. Everything sounds like it comes from the speakers or in between. But for $99 each I am in heaven! I have been putting off purchasing speakers due to lack of cash. These are as good or better than anything I have been considering for a future purchase.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer HPM 100s, Pioneer PRO120s, JBL
Churchy   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 19, 2000]
Strength:

Price, Clear, detailed, and awsome bass. Sounds awesome.

None. I hope i'll not find one in the future :)

First of all I thank you for all who kind enough to post this speaker review because I read other people's review and I got the speakers. You guys Rocks! I got a good deal at sears. I got this pair for 200 bucks at Sears. Sears where I live is about to close down as the salesman said. I got this speakers and I had little problem with sears salemans. Sears sucks. I do not think I will ever going to shop again unless I find the sweet deals for like this speakers I am reviewing. I been using it for almost 2 months and very close to 3 months. These pair really sounds good with my Yamaha HTR-5150. (Also check out the my review for that receiver.) The speaker's highest power rate is 175 watt. I used my receiver set to 12 o'clock and it sounds very clear and tight. If you want to test how clear this speakers can produce listen to any of the Starwars soundtracks. It sounds really clear and tight. THis pair produce fantastic bass. I also have the sony ss MF-515 (also check out the review )for main floor standing use with these pair. These pair produce more than enough bass. Currently I am using these speakers for my PC and my CD-player and it's sounds awesome. Most important reason I like this pair is that the price is just fanfastic. Right now over the internet by using pricescan.com the lowest price is 270 dollars. It's bit expensive. Most people who review this speakers got it for 200 dollars for pair like myself. Do not get it if you pay anymore than 200 dollars for this speakers. I am currently looking for good bookself speakers. I just hope that I could get another sweet deal. Well have fun and it's well made speakers. You'll not regret one bit if you get this speakers for 200 dollars. Have a nic day!

My system
Receiver Yamaha HTR-5150(check out the review)
Center Acoustic Research C225-PS
Main Sony SS-MF515(check out the review) and This pair.
Rear none yet! Still looking (Possibly JBL S-38 pair)
Old sony CDP-C331 CD player

Simon   Audio Enthusiast [May 02, 2000]
Strength:

Value, performance, looks

packaging

Great, great speakers. I bought mine for $254 USD the pair including tax and delivery from Sears. I shopped Netmarket.com, printed the ad and took it to Sears. They matched the price but made me pay the shipping and tax part ($54). FYI, print out these reviews as well - don't let the Sears salesman try and tell you that the $200 is for just one speaker - as it IS $200 for the pair from Netmarket.....it's just that Netmarket don't have them in black, only cherry. Plus, as the packaging isn't so great, having them sent via UPS or FedEx isn't as great as picking them up yourself - that way, you know how they have been treated in transit.

Got them home, unpacked them. The laminate on the bottom of one corner was coming off slightly, so I pushed it back into place. Glad that was the only 'damage'. Lucky I didn't buy them online as I read some reports of damages speakers from other reviewers. Also, I found an extra unused speaker mounting screw inside the bottom of one cabinet - so I took that out. easily fixed.

These speakers have to be the value pick of the century. They deliver great bass (8" woofer) and clean midrange/highs. I was going to spend $750 on a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's, but saved my money and bought these. I am glad I did. They also look great too - they look and sound like they are worth a lot more than the price I paid!

The only improvements could be the inclusion of some Radio Shack fiberglass insulation, as well as some floor spikes. It depends how you want them to sound. I have left mine as I bought them - and they soound great. Also, use good quality speaker cable (at least 14gauge, but preferably 12 gauge).

They do need some time to be 'conditioned' before they sound great, but they are WELL WORTH THE MONEY. Just play a CD with good dynamic range on repeat for the whole day (Sade, Macy Gray, Erykah Badu etc). No, I am not biased, these CD's seem to have all different sounds on the CD which is good for speaker conditioning! You can do this when you go to work. Set your receiver/amp volume at about 30-40% of total volume. You might want to warn your neighbors about what you are doing if you live in an apartment!

I am using these for Home Theater mains with my Sony STRDA777ES receiver and AudioSource SW15 sub. I am going to use the AR318's as rear surround and either buy another pair, or get a pair of 328's for the front ($370 pair plus tax/delivery). If you have a good sub, you don't really need the 328's, but because they are so cheap, why the hell not?????!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

Similar Products Used: Paradigm Monitor 9's, Monitor 5's, Infinity RS5, Polk
EB   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 05, 2000]
Strength:

Good sound cheap price

none apparent

I purchased one single 318PS at Sears today for a price of only $29.97. An old unmatched floor model. Well I took it home and hooked it up in my basement which has a "pair" of unmatched speakers. Sounded like it should, that is just like the other ARs I have tried and the above listed which I own. Takes a lot of power, plays loud, sounds good. Now if I could only get that set of AR Edge surround speakers they have had sitting there in a beat up box all this time I would have some darn nice systems.