Acoustic Image 6.5 Floorstanding Speakers

6.5

Basic floor speakers

Possible Fraud Alert
A large number of users have reported these speakers are being sold well above their intrinsic value under false pretences in parking lots, flea markets and online auctions. See White Van Speaker Scam for more info.

TexasBigEars   AudioPhile [May 21, 2016]

Acoustic Image Pure Titanium GT – 338 speaker systems: maybe garbage; maybe audiophile

I do the electrical and mechanical testing for a local thrift store. Also, I am an expert in audio: I have a mechanical engineering degree, also I am an acoustical engineer who has been selling high fidelity audio since 1968.
There was a pair of Acoustic Image Pure Titanium GT – 338 speaker systems that I was to test. At first, I thought they were one of those vans speakers that I have seen many examples of over the many years that I have sold audio equipment and dismissed them as such and was going to throw them away.
Fortunately, there was not a lot of work to be done on my shift, so I decided to take them apart so that I could make fun of the incredibly cheap construction work done on the inside of these sometimes outwardly very good-looking speaker systems.
For an assumed back-of-the-van speaker, these GT – 338’s had a very well-built, heavy cabinet; a good titanium tweeter; an equally good side-firing tweeter; to, although different, woofers; bi-wireable binding posts that although the posts were good, the plastic holder of them was not (the holder of the speaker terminals for the Diatone DRM, Digital Reference Monitor, one of the best loudspeakers ever made, is out of plastic).
The store had a half-price sale, so I bought them to test them in my acoustic lab. The tests confirm the perceived quality of the drivers, i.e. the main tweeter has an extended range with the typical peak in the audible range, the two different woofers act to same, the three drivers operate in a quasi D’Appolito configuration, and the system will produce very good sound and has a flat, +/ -3 DB, frequency response from 80 to 20,000 Hz.
When I sold high fidelity audio products decades before, the store where I worked sold several different brands of loudspeakers that the general public did not know the manufactures name, even though, they were quite well built, high fidelity loudspeaker systems. I suspect that is the case with Acoustic Image that had a reasonable design in these GT – 338 speaker systems, but was never able to generate the national distributorship necessary to be successful.

Big Walt   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 26, 2015]

The guys in the white van approached me on the street in the so. suburbs of Chicago. Ironically I was on my way back to Circuit City to return my less than acceptable subwoofer. At any rate I felt like I was being singled out because I was a black man driving a Cadillac at the time. (well I'm still a black man but no Cadillac. lol) I got the same story as everyone else as it relates to additional inventory that can't be taken back to the warehouse. Well I purchased the acoustic image 10" floor facing subwoofer and have not looked back. I've had it now for 14 years without 1 problem. This thing has been awesome. I can't listen to it all the way up because it shakes the windows and things on the walls too much. I'm still looking for that white van again! I wish I could find additional acoustic image speakers. Provided they perform as well as the subwoofer does.

joey   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 11, 2013]

I recently went to a pawn shop and bought a set of the audiofile towerspeakers with two 8 inch woofera. I was looking at them and had never heard of them but when the guy said 40 bucks I put them in the car. I have them hooked up to a sony 200 watt reciever and im very impressed with them. Since my purchase ive been looking for more of these white van speakers and just found a set of acoustic image ones on craigslist for thirty dollars and plan to go get them in the morning. These are not 1000 dollar speakers but I think I got a steal only spending 70 dollars and get four of them. There are good sounding and have plenty enough bass to shake the room. I wouldnt pay anything outrageous for them but being 21 they do the trick they can blow tommorow and im out barly any money. So if you come across them for cheap snatch them up THEY ARE WORTH IT.

Bob lane   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 08, 2011]

I thought these speakers were a steal when I got em, I 've bought "van" spkrs before and they were nothing like this .these things screamed quality, real wood , front and back spkrs ,gold 5-way gold binding posts,extreemly nice spkrs., when I got them home they sounded terrific , I still use them and show em off every chance I get. THESE ARE DEFINITELY-"NOT'- white van speakers. I play em thru a DENNON , a BLU_RAY AND a 60" pioneer elite plasma, w "JAMO" as other surrounds And they are the FLAGSHIP , I would hardly do that with awhite van spkr,. even if they were ,they are still incredible speakers! AND I DON't CARE , if THEY ARE FROM A PURPLE POLKA DOT VAN! THEY ARE SIMPLY- PUT, GREAT_ SPEAKERS,!!! (I hope i made my point)

bjdalton1   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 15, 2010]

Ah yes! the white van. Yes and the parking lot. $150. These speakers are great. I may be one of the lucky ones. I put up against my B&W CDM1NT's and its a tough choice. I like the base in the Acoustic Image speakers though and they can handle the power. 2.15.2010

a lubanowski   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 30, 2009]

acoustic image 6.5

bought them at a garage sale for $15 for the pair. pretty much new in the box.
black finish, sounds very good for the money. good highs decent mids, use them with a sub.

ricardobassman   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 18, 2009]

My son bought the 6.5's at Middletown Shoprite(N.J)from the Classic "white Van Guy"..Brought them home. I was very suspicious at first.I Told him he got took, I felt bad for him at first. Then I hooked them up and compared the sound ,"side by side" against my trusty old 10"Advent's thru my mid 90's Pioneer Surround Sound 100X2 Receiver. HAVE TO BE HONEST, THEY SOUNDED VERY GOOD .Gave my son the $175 He paid..Put them back in the original boxes threw them in my attic,and proceeded to forget about them for the last 6 or 7 years Came across them last week while in the attic while doing something else.Just so happens I'm about to put a 5 speaker sound system in my soon to be finished Basement, in concert with a new 46" flat screen. Guess what speakers will be pushing the front channel? I plan on getting a decent powered sub and an equally decent deck to finish off the deal.... PS My son has a buddy who installs AV systems full time, He deals with a lot of high end components on a daily basis told me that he is very familiar with the White Van speakers thinks that they would be perfect for my needs. Cheers

Van   Casual Listener [Dec 20, 2008]
Strength:

Cabinet looks high tech

Just awful sound, one star is too much

I bought these from the white van guys, I think I finally came off around $75 to $100 after these guys started the price at two or three times that amount. They look nice and figured any pair of speakers would be worth that......wrong!!

These really suck!!! I have an old set of infinity bookshelf speakers purchased in the mid 80s that blow them away and the Infinities are not high end but decent.

I've ordered new foam surrounds to repair the Infinity's and dug these out of the basement for temporary use. Gawd, they're crappy, no highs, no lows and you have to crank the hell out of em to get any sound which causes them to buzz.

That broke me from buying anything out of the back of a van again, I'm sorry but anyone who says otherwise must be listening to elevator music at low volumn from 3 feet away!!

Frank Gooch   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 13, 2008]
Strength:

Look good..Good for rooms where space is limited..sound good...Has overload so you dont blow them up

I also got the story from the boys in the white van..I am here in Westchester County Ny and these boys told me they just got done with a job and the speakers were extra inventory.I could buy them really cheap before they went back to the warehouse..before the big boss found out...They showed me the paperwork that was sealed in this official looking laminated flyer..I knew this was bullcrap because Ive been approached before..Anyway I bought those speakers and to tell you the truth I think they are great...I have it hooked up along with my Sony cd player and the Sony power amp..I have had them for years and I really love them..I play them all the time and Iam happy with my purchase even though I know there stolen..Hey half the things we buy on Ebay may be stolen as well..Thats just the world we live in..Sad but True.....The Gooch

jolson411   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 01, 2008]
Strength:

See above

No Warranty

These speakers are actually good. I once worked for M&K Sound, which did $5,000 Home theater speaker systems for celebs like George Lucas, and I am using a pair of these as rear speakers alongside a pair of $1000 M&K front speakers and they are holding their own. Not M&Ks, but the bi-directional 2-woofer, one tweeter, one rear facing midrange array is great for the effects top action directors and sports directors use on the (mostly effects) rear channels.
The rear facing midrange (actually 45 degree rear facing) is a treat. It bounces the audience cheers or raging battle sounds around behind us in a more natural way than speakers only pointed directly at our heads.
I got them for only $8 at a garage sale, but would have paid more and still been very happy.People compliment me on my sound system, which did not happen with the Advents they replaced as rear speakers.
I read the white van stories here, and these are not a scam, only a scam if you paid too much. about $40- $50 a pair is about right, even a decent deal. Equivalent speakers would cost $100-up, though you would have a warranty...
Happy listening if you bought some, and if you see a white van, offer $20 and go up a little if you have to....

Customer Service