Acoustic Energy Aegis Three Floorstanding Speakers

Aegis Three

- The Aegis Three, a true flagship of the Aegis Series. This powerful 150 watt, 3-way, slim-line floor-standing speaker uses the award winning tweeter and metal alloy mid/bass driver system design from the Aegis 'One' and 'Two', with the addition of a new 180mm vented polymer chassis with a polypropylene cone for the bass only drive unit. The mid/bass driver is reflex loaded through a flared port to the rear whilst the bass only unit is housed within a separate enclosure and reflex loaded through a high power flared port to the front. Factory-fitted mass loading is supplied in the base of the cabinet in addition to base plinths and 8mm spikes for optimum stability and coupling to the floor. The result of this impressive flagship system offers the discerning listener ownership of a product with awesome scale and depth coupled with a level of detail and clarity unequalled by any other loudspeaker design at the price.

mariano   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 28, 2013]

I hear classical music. And I have these loudspeakers since 2005. Prior I had top Polk, but I think these are lovely superior with smooth treble and honest mid range. But I have had to complement with a subwoofer only for te very bass range and the results were absolutely satisfiying, with a flat response. I strongly recommend these speakers.

Frederik   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 20, 2013]

Wonderful speaker! Count yourself lucky, if you find a set of these!
I bought them Second Hand for $300 in Singapore and I'm very satisfied! Wonderful warm miss, tight and powerful bass and relatively clear highs.
Superb for any kind of music, as well as movies.
Don't miss this one!

I play with Ultra Cables and a Marantz PM-80 MK II, rated 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Goran   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 2013]

These are very good speakers, with excellent tweeter and mid range. Just try to listen Enya or Sarah McLachlan and you will see what I'm talking about. With Peter Gabriel Security Album bass sounds amazing. I use it with Luxman 1000m amp, which is only 50w per channel. I paid 600$ for them and believe me, there are not speakers on the market above 1500$, which sounds like Aegis. My recommendation!

nick fournier   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 03, 2003]
Strength:

imaging is nice,good channel separation i always listen to my music flat! lows are tight and well projected mid highs have a very broad frequency response and nice array of detail. any type of speaker will speak itself differently depending on the system they are matched with,here is my setup: rotel ra-971mk11 integrated amp. rotel rcd-961 cd player. custom made interconnects,copper with silver coating unshielded. bi-wired with:custom made 8 strand copper&silver cables driving the low frequencys:van den hul D352 hybrid cables driving mid's and high's you can always upgrade for something better but considering the price i paid for my setup i am more than satisfied!

highs could cut just a little more trough the mix they could have a little more definition and the high end of the mid range is less articulate when played at realy high volume..but to me these are minor details when i consider all that these speakers can offer for their price.

if you can spare the amount i spent on these speakers,go for it is what i say! i auditioned them by pure luck at a hi-fi shop close to were i live. i heard they had a sale so i went to check it out!(needed to replace my old b.w dm602's). the owner told me to just audition them because at that price i just could not get something that sounded that good overall. i sat down listened to some classical up to heavy rock,half an hour is all i needed to decide to take a pair back home. so i did,and still after 6 months of listening i am still very impressed. i do not regret my buy at all!!!period.

Similar Products Used: all kinds at all prices!!! go for the A.E AEGIS EVO3 you wont be deceived.
randylm   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 08, 2003]
Strength:

solid build,good looks,bi wireable good clean sound nuff said. ah yeah price.

cannot go as loud as my infinitys.

I auditioned several speakers polks, b&w I was looking for a good sounding tower speakers to replace my infinity bookshelfs and not spend alot. all I have to say is for$500 bucks I don't think I could have done better of course the b&w's did sound better alittle for twice the price.I was at the store today and they still have two pairs left for $400 a pair great deal if you are curently looking for some great sounding speakers.although you will need a good amp .I am currently using a denon avr2801 and sony es cd player.

Similar Products Used: jbl, infitiy ,,technices,all kinds of others junk.
Evo 3   Audio Enthusiast [May 02, 2003]
Strength:

Clean, clear crisp sound, that appears transparent with an excellent soundstage.

For £350 in England, you cannot buy a more transparent speaker, but I am sure specifically modified speakers can be tweaked to appear better.

My advice is Bi-Wire these speakers with something like QED Silver Anniversary on the treble and QED Original on the bass. There is no point in Bi-wiring with the same type of speaker cable to each section. Silver has better transport properties for higher frequencies and copper is better for bass. FACT. The speakers do take a good 100 hours minimum to run in. Do not expect them to sound their best straight from the box. They come pre-loaded with fine sand. Give them room. They are OK in corners where needs must, but given the option, give them good room.

Similar Products Used: Acoustic Energy 309 (very good but over priced), Missions, Jamos.
Sven Persson   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 17, 2002]
Strength:

Good Bass and excellent midrange. Sound/price.

Lack of clarity in highs.

Using a Rotel-971MK2, SonyCDP-XB930, Supra Ply 3.4S speaker cables and Red Dawn interconnect the Aegis three´s perform really nice. A couple of months ago I moded the Sony with a new Master clock; L Clock XO2 which made a big approvment on the sound.

karl   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 19, 2002]
Strength:

warm, accurate,

haven''t found any yet

Love these Speakers ! Listen to lots of blues and it brings instruments to life. Very clean with great imaging. Tall but have a small footprint for space conscious people. Super value.

Similar Products Used: NHT
Anthony   Audiophile [Mar 06, 2000]
Strength:

Incredible imaging, and soundstage depth.
Wonderfully detailed midrage
Tight, detailed bass
Clear, detailed, sweet highs
Excellent construction, and dynamics.

5 way binding posts that, due to their confined recess, will only accept banana plugs easily. Forget spade plugs.

For $700 dollars a pair these speakers are incredible (even more so since I purchased a pair of demo's for $599!) . So far every aspect of their design has had me auditioning my entire CD collection again. The bass is tight and never boomy, the midrage is smooth, detailed; dynamic; I am honestly hearing midrage detail that I never heard before. I thought Mirage had a smooth and sweet tweeter but, after listening to the Aegis, I'm returning my OM10's.
The build quality is also impressive for this price. The 3's have nice beefy floor spikes (compared to the lightweight spikes included with the OM10), and are filled with some sort of "sandy" material (you can hear it sloshing around when you invert the speakers to install the spikes) that is used to deaden the enclosure.
My electronics are:
Marantz CD67SE
Parasound HCA1500A
PS Audio 6.0 Preamp
Audioquest Midnight (for bass) and Crystal (for Highs/mids)
Straightwire interconnects.

No doubt the tight control and smooth nature of the Parasound, PS audio and Marantz contribute to the performance of the Aegis, but with the Paradigms and the aforementioned OM10's, the result was less than moving. The OM-10's, while smooth and dynamic have a less than full mid-range (probably because of their two-driver array). The Paradigms, while accurate are much too dry for my taste. The Aegis are forward, and rich without being bright and grating.
Then again, I have only listened to them for a few days. If anything changes I'll be sure to update my feedback. The five star Overall rating would be 5, however I'll temper my enthusiasm by giving them a 4. Value-wise, though, I'm sure the "5" is very accurate-especially considering the price I paid.