Acoustic Design 1201 Floorstanding Speakers

Basic floor speakers

Possible Fraud Alert
A large number of users have reported these speakers are being sold well above their intrinsic value under false pretences in parking lots, flea markets and online auctions. See White Van Speaker Scam for more info.

Depantzor   Casual Listener [Aug 22, 2015]

I bought my white van speakers in 1999. I only paid 150 for them. I didn't realize it was a scam back then. 16 years later I still use them. I know they are not great speakers but they work well enough for a home theater or just casual listening. Can't complain.

weatherall   Casual Listener [Apr 06, 2006]

Acoustic Sound Design delivered my Polk equipment on time and for a fair price. I reccommend them to anyone doing online shopping.

oo_vir_oo   AudioPhile [Apr 10, 2002]
Strength:

Nice looking, decent for the average audio nut....

built like junk, waaaaay over-rated....and a major pain in the crack...

Ok you all may have been scammed by these guys but not me....i have heard of the stories and i truely believe them....i am 18 and have been employed at Suburban Electronics in Michigan for the last 6 years...I came across these speakers from a friend of mine at E.M.U....he had found them in the garbage on the Campus and just simply donated them to me to se what i could do with them.....the first thing i had noticed was, the crossovers were totally wrong....thank god the colleges kids had only tripped the make-shift relay in there, and nothing was blown...The first thing i did was consult my good friends over at Fox,Int''l inc. and ordered the CORRECT capacitors and Power Resistors in its place. To my Dismay, the speakers were reading at 32 Ohms.....for you Dumb-Audio phreaks, this is increddibly high (like blow your outputs high)...so then i had to go to Almas Hi-Fi (very hi-end shop), and talk to a buddy of mine there....needless to say the Crossovers i had made were in fact correct, per-say...but in the same sense they were wrong...With a little patience and a little prior knowlege, i was able to get them to come around...to make a long story short, i have made these junk-ola speakers into MACKDADDY SLAMMERS, for only 50$....hehehe

Similar Products Used: man, im not even going to compare my Cerwin Vegas, Klipsch or my McCintosh system with this crap...
Scott   Casual Listener [Mar 26, 2002]
Strength:

unk

unk

A guy in a blue Chevy Astro Van drove up to me at Metro Center Mall and said "I need to deliver four speakers and I have four pairs of speakers and need to get rid of two pair before delivery". He showed paperwork and copies of business license. He said these are $949 speakers and he will sell me a pair for $300. I though at the time was a good deal until I started doing research. I think I am a real idiot now! Remember one of them drove a blue Chevy Astro Van. If I find the guy he screwed over the wrong person.

Similar Products Used: unk
patrick   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

very very very good sound and bass has broken a few windows

none

I bought these speakers from 2 guyz in a white van for 100 dollors just likeall the other reviews say. But, howeve, my speakers have been the best i have ever had and are theatre quality and wouldnt sell them for my life.

Similar Products Used: none
Chris Long   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

They LOOK like really nice speakers.

EVERYTHING

Buyer's beware. These speakers are nothing but junk. The guys selling these are running a hardcore SCAM on poeple who
are looking for a good deal. These speakers are being sold through out Arizona by a couple of young guys in a van. They
claim that they have some extra speakers and that they have to get rid of them fast before they have to report back to their boss. They will tell you that the speakers have a retail value of $949.00 and they will show you a bogus invoice to fool you.****THIS IS A SCAM****DO NOT FALL FOR IT. These guy should be shot for pulling crap like this on people.If you run into these people you should rob them for all the money they are scamming off people.

Similar Products Used: $10.00 Boom Box
Roger Weigle   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

These speakers are very good for audio enthusiasts. They may not be the best quality but they are attractive and are very powerful.

Like I said they are not the best quality sound but they work well enough that I am satisfied.

I liked them. In my apartment they sounded well throughout and could be heard throughout. A nice powerful speaker.

Fred Weldon   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 09, 2000]
Strength:

I bought these slightly used for $100 & I think I might have paid too much.If they cost that much new not a bad bargain.

Where to start?The mid-and high drivers are Radio Shack piezos,the woofer has no crossover & is pretty wimpy,the cabinet had started to separate & it had no insulation.After installing a Radio Shack Xover,putting 40+ screws in the cabinet along with insulation I now have a great pair of kick around speakers.Probably put them outside.

Go to Radio Shack and build your own.

Similar Products Used: Many and varied.
Dillon Yates   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 09, 2001]
Strength:

They look like good speakers

They suck, they suck a lot

Some guy pulled the scam on me, I figured that he was trying to pull one on me so I at least talked him down to 100 for the pair but I wish that I hadn't bought them. His line was that he had five extra and he wanted to make some extra cash before he met with his boss. DON'T FALL FOR IT, IT IS ALL BULL.

Thomas   Audiophile [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

Great High end, decent mids, bass - well not surprised - not too good.

Bass and balance

I wish I was I passed on this one....or maybe paid less...If you are planning on paying for these average speakers don't pay more than $150 for a pair...or your getting ripped off...