Polk Audio CS400 Center Channels

CS400

Magnetically Shielded Center Channel Speaker - Dual 6.5" Drivers and a Fluid Cooled 1" Tweeter

Jeffrey   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 26, 2014]

I'm 13 and my dad got this out of the attic because we weren't using and I put it on my desk and it is the only speaker I am using I'm my room. The sound quality is amazing and when I first turned it on I did not expect it to sound so good

Adam Lovan   Casual Listener [Oct 29, 2002]
Strength:

Sound Quality

Nothing

I have a large Home Theater setup with a Mitsubishi big screen in the center. I have this center speaker perched atop the TV. This speaker sounds very nice. The dialogue that comes out of this speakers seems so accurate and real. I can't give this speaker enough compliments. No complaints whatsoever.

Similar Products Used: Vandersteen, Energy, Paradigm, Rotel, Adcom, Polk
Daryl Rogers   AudioPhile [Oct 29, 2002]
Strength:

Great sound abounds

a little large

This center speaker sounds great. I have heard many in my time, and I can honestly say that I have not heard a better speaker. Polk has hit a home run on this one. Good looking too. It is quite large though.

Similar Products Used: Many many speakers. too many to list.
Mack   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 24, 2002]
Strength:

Polk quality

nothing so far

I really like this speaker. It matches perfectly with my pair of rt1000i. I have had many compliments on my setup, which includes the rt1000i as the fronts, the cs400 center, and rt55i's in the rear. Talk about perfect tonality and seamless movie experience. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Similar Products Used: I am staying with Polk for life
Bart Johnson   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 23, 2002]
Strength:

great speaker

none

This center channel is great. I just recently bought a pair of polk rti100's and they are perfectly matched. This speaker sounds so good in movies. I prefer music, but when I watch movies, this speaker does it all. I like the fact that it is capable of producing bass. Most center channel speakers are too whimpy and can't produce all the sound effects, but this speaker sounds perfect in all situations. My next purchase will be DVD audio or sacd, because i like to listen to music most. I am looking forward to using this center channel in that aspect. I also plan on getting the rti38's for the rear. wow i am excited. bravo POLK

Similar Products Used: tested many at the store. Nothing compares
Jeff Yemm   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 15, 1999]

I moved up to this unit (CS400) from a Paradigm model CC150, and there is NO comparison! This is the clearest sound I have ever heard from a center channel speaker. I have demo'd about every speaker line I could in the $500 range and this is it! My father-in-law is a little hard hearing, mostly when a group of people are talking in a casual setting. To make a long story short, we watched Titanic last night and his exact words were, " I can hear everything they are saying, including the parting of thier lips!" Folks, that says everything. BUY this unit. It is incredible!

tommy   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 19, 2000]
Strength:

great sound.can understand voices even during moments of extreme action. rumbling bass

size ( BIG )

i have only had this speaker for one short week but was very impressed with the way it made sound seem like it was coming from everywhere and yet nowhere. it has excellent bass handling and along with my polk rta 12,s and yamaha powered sub it really had my listening room rumbling. was undecided when i ordered it between the cs 300 and the cs 245. any of the three would probably have sufficed but the possibility of future upgrades to newer high end polks made the cs 400 the most suitable selection. i am very satisfied after getting over the guilt of spending 130 dollars more on the top choice than accepting the lowly but acceptable cs 245.

Similar Products Used: advent- tiny affordable center purchased at the start of my home theatre interest.
Paul Chandler   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent build. Very solid, tight construction. Good sound in both music and DVD.

Instructions don't explain bi-wiring.

I did quite a bit of research on this site before settling on this speaker. I went to Circuit City and listened to the CS245, which was what I had been considering. After comparing the 245 and 400, I bought the 400. I've been very happy with it. I'm going to try bi-wiring it today, since it has that feature. The instructions say nothing about being able to do this or how to do this, but I've read other places that it really makes a difference. This speaker is quite loud and I've had to adjust it to match my 14 year old Cerwin Vegas that I'm using for front. I have Polk RT35's for rear and a Velodyne CT100 sub-woofer. All in all, I am very pleased with Polk and this speaker in particular.

Andrew Cosio   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2000]
Strength:

Natural Dialog, Bass effects

This speaking is big and heavy, not made to sit on small TV's and entertainment systems. The wife factor is a consideration in your purchase.

I have always been a closet audio enthusiast and a devoted Polk fan, I have Bookshelf/Monitor speakers that I still use and enjoy after 13 years of use. My old center always sounded "twangy" and in a cone. So this speaker is a step in the right direction from the moment I installed it. I now hear effects that were lacking from my previous speaker. A fine example is from the DVD "Top Gun," I'm hearing the gears, cable hook ups, steam of the catapults on the aircraft carrier as the crew hook up the aircraft in the opening scenes of the movie.

I bought it on-line from Crutchfield for $279.99 plus shipping, this is the best money I've spent since buying my DVD player. Now I have to save up for better surrounds, maybe the f/x 500's.

Alfredo   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 22, 2000]
Strength:

Dynamic capabilities, clear voices, timbre matches seamless with my RT 3000's

none

This speaker is a noticeable improvement over my previous center channels. I've noticed some reviewers have stated that the dialogue was muffled in their setups. I was really ticked off when I first set it up because I noticed the same thing when watching our second DVD. Fortunately, it was the quality of the DVD that was making my center sound less than stellar. I found out when I took it to my pop's house and popped it in to his system which consists of a Boston Acoustics center, I don't know the model ($200). I then took it to my friend's house just out of curiosity, He runs an Infinity center...BAM, same problem. I guess my point is, play around with different movies because they are not all recorded equally.

The second thing I want to mention is speaker wire. I was initially running it with 12 gauge Monster wire which was ok.
I then upgraded to Kimber 4TC, WOW!! what a difference. It now sounded like I imagined it would. Thinking that 8TC would sound better, I plugged in a 7 foot run and the results were not what I expected. The 4 TC. was the clear winner, voices were super clear as were other subtleties, and dynamic scenes( I use 8TC on my mains). FYI, I use a Yamaha DSPA1 with the center set at small, I don't want explosions and other low end stuff going to this channel, that's what subs are for. I use two Energy eXL8's run in stereo mode and a 15 inch Def Tech off the mono RCA's. I hope this info sheds some light. Thank you.