Paradigm Reference CC-450 Center Channels

CC-450

2-Way Center Channel Speaker

Matt Montesano   Audiophile [May 11, 2000]
Strength:

Perfectly timbre matched with any of the Paradigm Reference series speakers, accurate and smooth w/o the brightness of other speakers with metal dome tweeters.

Looks better with the grill removed.

This is one of those speakers that reminds you how good it is every time you listen to it. Matched with my Studio 100 towers, the panning effect is seemless(unlike many other "timbre matched" speakers). This speaker has recently been replaced by the Studio/CC, after an audition, it seems that the main change has been cosmetic as the sonics of the CC450 are nearly perfect. However, it is important to note that this speaker is for audiophiles who are looking to 'hear' everything recorded on a particular soundtrack or song. Revealing would be the best way to summarize the sound character of this center. Here's how my current system is set up(notice that even with the japanese amp, I don't have a "brightness" problem with this speaker):
JVC NV55-BH6 (early model 16x9 projection)
YAMAHA DSP-A3090 (AC3 integrated amp)
TOSHIBA SD-3109 (1999 model year DVD)
SONY SLV-720HF (1993 model year VHS)
JVC XLZ-1050tn (early super digifine series CD)
LOVAN CLASSICII (HiFi rack)
LOVAN TRISOLATOR (dampening platform for CD)
LOVAN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (isolation platform for CC450)
PARADIGM STUDIO/100
PARADIGM REFERENCE CC450
PARADIGM REFERENCE ADP450
PARADIGM SERVO 15

Similar Products Used: Mirage MCsi, NHT VS-2
Ryan   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

Bi-amplification

None

I was using the CC-170 for awhile but then graduated to the reference series. WOW what a difference it makes with DVD and LD movies. I was really impressed when I played the Star Wars Episode I movie on LD. Blown away.

Similar Products Used: CC-170
Ran   Audiophile [May 13, 2001]
Strength:

Can play at loud levels, very natural-sounding dialog

None

When I auditioned the Paradigm CC-450 (version 1) center channel, I found it to have the best, most natural-sounding dialogue. I listened to DVDs, music, and TV. The dialogue (which is one of the most important attributes to listen to for a center channel) was extremely natural. In addition, this speaker can play at very loud volumes without any problems. A great speaker!!

Similar Products Used: Atlantic Technology System 270
Peter   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 29, 1999]

I originaly had the Paradigm CC-350 center but decided to upgraded to the Reference CC-450 after I traded in my Mini-Monitors for Reference Studio 60's so my front three speakers would all be Reference(my rears are still Mini-Monitors). There is certainly a difference between the 350 and the 450. The voices are a lot clearer with the 450 and the sound effects are a lot more defined. Now don't get me wrong, I was quite pleased with the 350 but since I changed my front speakers to Reference, I figured I might as well upgrade my center too. The 450 also seems to put out a little more bass then the 350 and it is a little smoother. I highly recommed the CC-450 but if you don't want to spend the extra cash, the CC-350 is also an excellent choice.

Trance   an Audiophile [Apr 05, 1999]

Just got this speaker and all I can say is heaven ! I had the cc300 before and it was also a good speaker but the cc450 blew it away. This speaker has punch and good bass for a center channel. Dialoge is naturualy clear with a clean high. bass is everything you can ask for in a center channel. This speaker is highly recomended for movies and MUSIC for those who love surround sound. Lucky for me I got this speaker at a great price, 350$ ( NEW ).
Aragon 8008BB
Sony TAE9000ES
Sony DVP7700
D.H Lab cables

NickR   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 16, 1999]

Dialogue is superb. Provides an excellent match with my Studio 60 mains. Simply a single large sound field up front. At nearly 30 lbs. you need a solid location for it, but well worth the effort. As with all Paradigms I have heard an excelent value.

Allen   an Audio Enthusiast [Jul 11, 1999]

I've owned my Reference CC450 for a few weeks now and all I can say is WOW! What a difference a good center channel makes. Dialouge intensive DVDs are clearer, especially in the male voice department. Voice production is clear and life like. A hundred steps up, minimum, from my old JBL. (yuck!) Dispersion is better than 4 other brands I've audiotioned. I too liked the CC350 but found it lacking the sound quality the CC450 can produce. For a little more $$$ the CC450 is well worth it. Being relatively new to HT, purchasing the CC450 makes me feel like an old pro. Now looking forward to purchasing separates to drive my new setup.
Paradigm Monitor 7
Reference CC450
Monitor 3 (on Studio Tech stands)
Velodyne Ct-100
Kenwood AVR-309
RCA 5210-9 (DVD)
Sony 32'' TV (KV32S15, I think)
Sony SLV-770 VHS (I've owned Sony products forever and can't remember model #s)

5 stars for the CC450!

Arif   an Audio Enthusiast [Jul 30, 1999]

This is a great centre channel speaker. However, this centre will reveal the limitations in some DVD films audio tracks. If a film is poorly mixed, this centre will tell you about it. Other DVDs in my collection sound like a new mix. The Fifth Element really shows off the capabilities of this speaker in my home theater system. I have one major complaint with the CC-450; It has shown me how poor my Monitor 9s sound. I have less respect for the monitor line after owining this speaker. Like many loudspeaker companies, Paradigm does have a bit of a quality control problem. Try to inspect the speaker before you take it home with you. No speaker has this kind of "Bang for the Buck" value.

Dave   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 29, 1999]

Very pleased with this Centre Channel speaker. Excellent sound, good design and looks and very reliable after 15 months of ownership. Just wish Paradigm and other manufactures could get Product Dealers that would be responsive and follow up with buyers what these buyers felt about their purchase!

Paul   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 14, 1999]

The CC-450 is an exceptional center channel. I've had mine about a year now and have it matched with Studio Reference 60's and ADP-350 surrounds. Vocals are crisp and clear with no "chesty" sounds. Works flawlessly with the Studio 60's to create a seamlessly broad soundstage. Placement seems better above the screen, but that may just be my room. Excellent clarity, rich, full sound and a smooth blend to the rest of the system at an excellent price...just about anything you could want from a center speaker. Try one, you'll like it!!