Martin Logan Logos Center Channels

Logos

Center channel speaker

ironskull   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 10, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent sound

narrow sweet spot and it is a tad heavy

I have a set of Martin Logan Scenarios for main L/R. I use Kef uni-Q for surrounds and Kef kht-9000 surround back. I have a Bohlender-Graebener planar 220i center.
I decided that having a ML Logos center might provide better tonal matching to my Scenarios, I persuaded the dealer to let me audition the logos.
I'll have to admit that the logos sound was great.
However, in the end I found the Bohlender-Graebener 220i had better imaging, better vocal clarity and over all superior sound quality.
The sad truth is that in some cases planar ribbon drivers are better than electrostats,
I will say this: if B.G. didn't build the 220i I would certainly own a Logos

Similar Products Used: Martin Logan, Polk, Kef, Bohlender-Graebner, etc.
reproman   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 14, 2003]
Strength:

The nuances of the SOUND quality! Why go to a movie theater and only think about being home and hearing it real. It leaves most speachless -- even those with above average sound systems.

The size is not for setting on top of anything smaller than a 40 inch TV. If wallmounting, you need some major bolts into the wall studs -- no anchors on this badboy. The bracket is designed for industrial machinery so the wife factor may be a problem here.

This is an awe inspiring speaker. Keeps you riveted to your chair as the sounds are just incredible. Even the echoes have echoes. You will hear it all. Even when listening to music, I will leave the center on -- just to feel like I am at a concert. I usually set the volume at just above a loud speaking voice, but even then the Logos amaze you. This is a very rare experience as many speakers just loose their attraction at lower volumes. I did add some arc welding type speaker wire and the ambiance and the tonal qualities did seem to only get better! Play the DVD "The Replacement Killers" and you will be hitting the floor as the bullets fly around you!

Similar Products Used: M&K, Mirage, Bose, Velodyne.
GoodSound   Audio Enthusiast [May 28, 2002]
Strength:

Detailed with unmatched clarity.

Physically large. Reveals bad recordings. New is somewhat pricey.

Can you say incredible clarity, detail and realism!! That what this center channel brings to the table. I found myself watching excerpts from every action movie in my collection. Purchasing this speaker made me relalize the Center Channel is the criticly important in HT. Be aware this speaker is very revealing with bad recording. The flip side is with good mix this speaker sounds wonderful.

Similar Products Used: Def Tech, Kef, B&W
manny   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 03, 2000]
Strength:

Aesthetic build quality for a center channel, transparency of sound. Great supplied stand for installation flexibility.

Rather big and bulky for a center channel.

I was originally interested in the smaller Martin Logan Cinema to compliment my two pairs of Aerius. Demoed both of them at Overture and I ended up with the Logos. I was not prepared to sepnd this type of money for a center channel speaker but when this baby was fired up, there was no going back.....voices are smooth and detailed, easily descernable and life like. The supplied stand is excellent because of the installation options it can provide.

One thing that I might point out.....even the guys at Overture pointed this out. The size of this speaker coupled to it's stand might be to overwhelming for most TV sets. I was not quite unsure of how this would work in my setup due to it's size and I experimented a bit on installations but I settled on having the speaker sitting right in front of my 53" RPTV. I also angled the speaker to fire directly onto the sweetpot along eye level (eye level when sitting down).

Overall a great investment.....truly recommended.
Associated equipment:
Martin Logan Aerius (2 pairs)
martin Logan Logos
Sony MDP 650 LD
Panamax Max 100

Similar Products Used: Martin Logan Cinema
John Dooley   Audiophile [May 22, 2000]
Strength:

Clarity & Detail

I don't like the stand...too large

Brought this Martin Logan center speaker Logos to match my Martin Logan main speakers SL-3's and Martin Logan rear speakers Scripts. SL-3's powered by an Arargon 8008BB Amp through an Audio Research LS16 tubed PreAmp. The Logos and Scripts are powered by an Adcom 5503 3 channel Amp through an Accurus ACT3 (being upgraded to the Theta Casa Nova this week). The Audio Research LS16 has an audio bypass for the Accurus to go through when watching DVD's or Laser Discs, etc... I also was checking out the Martin Logan Cinema, but think these match better with the Martin Logan Arieus. As you can tell by the set up, I wanted the same speed and tonality to match. This center speaker is FANTASTIC during DVD's and Laser Discs, but the bottom plate was too large, therefore I custom made a table to fit it under my TV. Owners of small apartments or small listening rooms beware, there maybe no place to put this thing. Its too heavy and big to set on top of...let me guess...36 inch TV's??? I am thinking that the Casa Nova PreAmp maybe too good for the Adcom 5503, therefore I may upgrade to the Aragon 8008x3. Time will tell. Watching PBS Nova and Nature programs reveal every sound...the wind, birds, even insects are heard...Oh my...they must be in my living room.

Rob   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

Clarity and detail

size and weight and at 5 ohms requires alot of power from any amp.

I had no idea what a center channel speaker should sound like until I heard the Logo. It's detail is unsurpassed. Crisp clear sound reproduction and attention to detail make this speaker the ideal center piece to any home theater. Slightly bulky and heavy for a center channel, but extremely clear to detail. Martin Logan no longer makes this speaker, but if you can find one buy it.

Warning to anyone thinking of buying an electrostatic speaker. After listening to an electrostatic speaker you will never go back to a BOX speaker.

My system:
Yamaha RXV-793 Reciever
Yamaha m-85 main amp
Magnepan MG 1.6QR front speakers
Yamaha MX-630 rear amp
Magnepan mmg rear speakers
NAD 216 THX center channel amp (Briged)
Martin Logan "Logos" center channel.
2 Velodyne FSR18 SubWoofers.

Similar Products Used: none that I know of.
Avi   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 16, 1999]

I recently purchased the logos to match my martin-logan sl3 and scrips. i think that this is one of the best center speakers that i have ever heard; the best in its price range. It matches well with my EAD theater master and Classe CAV-150.

John   an Audiophile [Jun 30, 1999]

I recently bought a Logos to serve as a center channel speker with three pairs of Acoustats in a seven channel surround home theater system. The Acoustats have a unique sound but the Logos comes close to matching them in tonal quality, speed, transients, etc. This speaker system is completed with a pair of Velodyne FSR-18s for LFE. The overall aural impact is incredible. The front end electronics are a Sunfire Theater Grand processor with a Sunfire Load Invariant amp for L/R and a Sunfire Cinema Grand driving the other 5 channels

Peter Taylor   an Audiophile [Feb 15, 1999]

The Logos represent the "missing link" from only having an audiophile quality music system to a truly High-end multi-channel system. The Logos presents a holographic sound field which I have been unable to reproduce with cone type speakers in the past. It seamlessly mates to the georgeous pair of Martin-Logan reQuests which are the most revealing speakers I have ever heard. Taken together, the requests and Logos equal a new level of reference either for music or movie sound tracks. My system is as follows:
Main Speakers: Martin-Logan reQuests
Center Channel: Martin-Logan Logos
Surrounds: Citation 7.3 Dual Drives
Subwoofer: Miller & Kreisel MX - 100
Pre-Amp: Citation 7.0(soon to be Proceed AVP)
CD Player: Meridian 508.24
Interconnects: Harmonic Technology Truth link
Power Cables: Harmonic Technology
Vibration Control: Vibrapods

Simone Filipponi   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 21, 2001]
Strength:

Clarity and Detail

Nothing.......

Logos is fantastic and is ok with the other speakers of Martin Logan.If you want the quality in Home Theater buy it. My sistem is as follows: MAIN Speakers MARTIN LOGAN AERIUS I SURROND Speakers MARTIN LOGAN SCRIPT SUB. SUNFIRE THE TRUE DVD / CD THETA CARMEN PRE-DECODER TAG McLAREN AV32R AMP.FINAL AMC 25100 X 5 CABLES TRANSPARENT SPIKES ETC by MARTIN LOGAN