Legacy Audio Silver Screen Center Channels

Silver Screen

3-way center speaker

olsonkev   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 20, 2003]
Strength:

Everything.

Heavy, but I guess that is not so bad.

Awesome. It mates perfectly with my Victoria main speakers that I've been enjoying for almost 10 years now. I still don't know why Legacy discontinued the Victoria model. The sound on the SilverScreen is as clear and crisp as the air in the middle of the Nevada desert on a December night. I love it.

Similar Products Used: Definitive Technology, Jamo, KEF.
Wayne   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 26, 2003]
Strength:

Compared with (or should I say contrasted to) the Radio Shack center channel -- well it's like night versus day, estate bottled wine vs. Mad Dog 20 20, etc. I thought the Radio Shack was a positive influence on the setup when listening to multi-channel sound. Boy was I wrong.

None yet. But I do appreciate the tip from another reviewer about the feet. I wish this center channel had tip toe type feet similar to the Foccus. It sits on a shelf I built just below the screen. I may get the feet and make the shelf a little lower. But I have no uneven problems like that other reviewer.

I just had to write another review after finishing the Foccus review. In that review I referred to the Silver Screen purchase as a "Cinema Grand" purchase. I must have been thinking about the Bob Carver creation that I auditioned before I bought the Outlaw pre-pro for thousands of dollars less. They say the second thing to go is the memory. Can't remember what the first thing is. But anyway that (the Outlaw vs. the Cinema Grand), as they say, is a story for another time. The Silver Screen replaced a Radio Shack center channel (talk about a major upgrade). The center channel sits below a DaLite screen. I use an InFocua projector for my viewing in this room, mostly of the DVD and VHS variety.

Similar Products Used: See above, although I think it wrong to call a Radio Shack "anything" as being similar to anything Legacy produces.
audiom3   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 16, 2003]
Strength:

Very clean sound, build quality.

None

What a difference a quality center channel speaker can make! It's very dynamic, with lots of big sound. Build quality is absolutely top notch. The finish matches my Classics and Powered Impact Sub beautifully.

Similar Products Used: Infinity
Jim Gaffney   an Audiophile [Sep 07, 1999]

I bought Silver Screen as part of a complete home theater package.(classics,silver screen and pacemaker sub) I auditioned about 15 manufacturers,including paradigm,psb all of whom had great speakers,but the Legacy was just a step above . The Silver Screen reproduces dialogue better than any center channel I,ve heard.

Larry   an Audio Enthusiast [May 28, 1999]

I have had this speaker for 6 months now and I love this speaker.I originally had the Monologe center which was a very nice but sounded thin compared to my Legacy 1`s that I have for my mains.When I got this beast hooked up and calibrated I was amazed how everything tied together.It`s a 3-way center with two 7inch kevlar drivers and a 1.25 textile dome with a 4"ribbon tweeter.It`s 27.5"W by 10.5"H by 10"D and weighs in at 42lbs.It`s a 4ohm speaker with a 10 year warranty and you can get the speaker in just about any finish you want.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

frank robison   an Audiophile [Jun 14, 1999]

I went last saturday, what a speaker. Monolog never sounded so good. In the "Fifth Element" it blended seamlessly with the signature III's I also demoed.

BC   an Audio Enthusiast [Jun 24, 1999]

I upgraded to the Silver Screen to better compliment a pair of Legacy Classics. The upside is that dialog and output are very clear, it seems to pick up on many more of the subtleties of the program material compared to what it replaced, male and female voices sound natural, it's great with music, it's efficient(driven by an integrated amp unrated at 4 ohms but rated at 80 wpc into 8 ohms), it can be driven to extremely high levels without distorting, fit, finish and materials are among the best I've seen on a loudspeaker and it blends very well with the Classics - sounds pan almost seamlessly left-center-right. My only gripes would be that it's ported in the rear which mandates keeping it out in the open and away from walls. Placing it in a bookshelf type enclosure is out of the question. I'd also like to see a rocker base that would facilitate vertical aiming much like what Atlantic Technology offers with their centers. I've listened to centers from NHT, B&W, Klipsch to name a few. The Silver Screen sounds as good as I've heard. I can't imagine replacing it with anything else although I'm curious about product from Martin Logan. Overall I'd rate the Silver Screen at 5 stars.

Ken Falls   an Audiophile [Jul 28, 1999]

Bought this center to match a pair of Focus I purchased used. The match was perfect. I had to order the speaker, which took several weeks to build and deliver, and upon arrival I noticed when placing it on my TV that the bottom was not square (wouldn't lie flat on surface). I called the manufacturer and requested another be delivered stating the problem. After several more weeks their response was that 18 other Silver Screens were made they were all with the same defect. Their solution was to put Audioquest Big Feet under it. This didn't sit well with me, but after owning the speaker for over a year I would not part with it. Build quality? I am tempted to say a four, but because the rest of the speaker/finish is so good, I still give it a 5. In comparison to many speakers considered to be 5s this one falls right in.