KEF Cresta Center Channel Speaker Center Channels

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 08, 2002]
Tyler Beebout
AudioPhile

Strength:

Small and light, very crisp and clear.

Harsh an hollow sounding.

I'm going to be skewed, as I'm currently liquidating my KEF system for Magnepans (if you haven't heard them, find a way to do so. These are the best speakers I've ever heard, in any price range, including the granddaddy $100,000 Wilson X-1's)I'm currently a freshman in college, and pride myself on perhaps being the only student I know who cares more about quality of sound than quantity. That being said, this sounds fantastic. I have a pair of KEF Q65.2's as mains and KEF Coda 7's as rears, and this compliments them very poorly. When I first demoed it, it was at my father's house in his paradigm system. I was awestruck by the improvement over his cc-1. I was hooked, and made the mistake of buying it without even testing it on my own system. It definitely sounds clear, but it almost sounds hollow. The vocals are scintillating, but lifeless. Everything seems to have a barely perceptible sizzle, which actually brings out vocals (and trumpet), but wears on me. No one but myself has noticed it, and it's definitely an improvement over no center, but it's wise to match your speaker models, as well a lines. I later heard this center with the entire Cresta line, and understood why it sounded how it did. The Cresta line is an entry line system: light, durable, and ear catching. If you're looking to have a system that thumps Bose and impresses your friends (who's KEF?), this is definitely for you. If you agonize over every note that hangs out of place, sizzles, or doesn't fit the character, save yourself 100 bucks and go buy some good cable. P.S. Always drive this center on a "small" setting, assuming you have a consumer amp like myself. Realize center's aren't meant for bass reproduction.

Similar Products Used:

Paradigm CC-1

OVERALL
[May 04, 2002]
Robert Gatt
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Cheap Price, Well finished and good sound

None at this price, when compared to others

I have bought this Centre Speaker To match my Koda Set Surround Speakers. As both share a 2.5 mm Soft Dome Tweeter. For the first week of running, the speakers seemed a little stiff, but after a bit of running, the sound changed for the better side. And I can recommend any one this speaker to match with the Koda Range.

Similar Products Used: