Dunlavy SC-I/AV Center Channels

SC-I/AV

(2)5" Woofers and a 1" Tweeter

Gary   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 29, 1999]

I have been using a pair of SC-I's in an audio only system, and now in my home theater system as main speakers. They need the help of a subwoofer for deep bass, in my system a Velodyne ULD-15 II. I love the soundstage and imaging of these speakers, and find they reveal lots of inner detail in the music. When driven to very loud levels, they begin to get a bit congested, but at any reasonable listening level in normal sized room they are wonderful.

John   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 26, 2001]
Strength:

Accuracy, speed, imaging

bass

I love these speakers - they are neutral, fast, and they disappear. I used to be able to tell exactly where my Vandersteen speakers were - not so with these speakers - the sound just seems to come from somewhere between them. The bass is ok, I live in a small apartment where bass bothers the neighbors, so there's enough bass to make bass drums and bass guitars sound good, but not enough bass to feel it in your chest.

All the Dunlavy SC speakers sound the same to me - they just differ by the amount of bass they produce. The SC1s are lovely speakers.

Similar Products Used: Vandersteen 1C
tapani lappi   Casual Listener [Dec 24, 1999]
Strength:

tranparency,accuraty,neutral

weak bas,but accurate

very accuraty, neutral sound,bass is fast but not go very low, work fine velodyne subfoowers,soundstage is very big,my professonial musical friends says that they are not hear so accurate piano souns.i recommens creek amps because they are not expensive.so all systems cost much.i give 4 stars.

Similar Products Used: pen audio from finland
sarmi   an Audio Enthusiast [Oct 16, 1998]

I'm using this speaker as a dedicated center only (right now w/PSB 500's as LR pair), so I will focus on HT vs. music. This is a Class AA rated LCR by SGHT, but the downside being that it may be 'too revealing'...as a center channel, that quality proved to be exactly what I was looking for. I especially noticed this trait with the foley effects in movies. In the 'drive-in scene' from 'Heat', the gun shells sounded as if they were dropping on the floor in my living room. Voices are extremely clear and intelligible. No more 'what did he say?' distractions. Also, for being rated down to only 75 hz, they have surprising bass...I didn't feel any lack of oomph on explosions (of course i'm using a powered sub, but still). Very well built also. Happy.

tapani lappi   Audiophile [Feb 08, 2000]
Strength:

transparency,accurate,neutral,more than sc 1 model

little weak bass,but very accurate, more than sc 1 model

dunlavy sc 1 av.very accurate, neutral sound, bass is fast and go lower than older sc 1 model.soundstage is very big and deep.works very well with velodyne subfoowers.dal sc 1 av, velodyne ct 80 subs,transparent cables,and creeks amps, this compination give best value and not cost much.dunlavy sc 1 av works movie speakers very well,it;s one of the best center channel speakers.five dunlavys and good velodyne subfoowers and fase amps you get very good sound movie too. i think dal 1 av is one of the best bookself speakers what you can buy this time.i recommend dunlavys 1 av very much

Similar Products Used: pen audio, b-w nautilius 805
Terry Burns   Audiophile [May 06, 2000]
Strength:

as a center chanel speaker in blends seamlessly with my Dunlavy SC-IVs

none for a center channel

after buying a pair of Dunlavy SC-IVs ...the best audiophile component/speaker i've ever come acrossed...the center speaker was an easy choice...seamless blend in my audio surround or home theatre surround sound system...sounded much better after i upgraded from the Citation 7.0 to the Lexicon MC-1....other components:Classe CDP-.3/CA-200/CAV-75...Dunlavy SC-IV/Elite DVL-91 note:for my surrounds i opted for kit speakers sold by Madisound. Their Vifa Dipole surrounds for the sides and their Vifa MTM AV speakers for the rears...these speakers use the exact same drivers as the Dunlavy's and are an unbelievable bargain...excellent for surrounds. My ratings for the Dunlavy SC-I AV are as a center channel.