Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelf Speakers

Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelf Speakers

DESCRIPTION

The NS6490 3-way bookshelf speaker from Yamaha is especially designed for use in a Home Theater. Magnetically shielded to protect your TVs picture, the solid black cabinet houses 7/8-inch tweeter for clean highs well above the range of most similar speakers, a 4-inch midrange driver for well-defined dialogue and voice and an 8-inch woofer for dynamic, forceful lows. The speaker terminals are gold plated and banana plug compatible. Plus, you dont need a huge, expensive amplifier to power these sp

• 3-Way Acoustic Suspension Design with Magnetic Shielding
  • 7/8"(2.2cm) Ferro-Fluid Cooled Balanced-Dome Tweeter

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 21, 2021]
couvreur67

Strength:

I've got these matched with a Yamaha Receiver pushing 100 watts per channel. They sound clear and surprisingly push a decent amount of bass for smaller speakers. Artisan Couvreur Strasbourg

My only gripe is they could have probably been ported which would have made a little bit of a difference with bass reproduction.

95,50
Used
[Sep 10, 2021]
Breana

Strength:

Yaas! Nice quality. Thanks for sharing | trucks for sale

None so far

[Aug 12, 2021]
stussy

Strength:

When painting within the house, Professional Painters Near me we need to be extra diligent as not only it is so easy to get paint all over where it is not supposed to.

none so far

[Aug 12, 2021]
stussy

Strength:

It will be fixed, and seamless, Professional Painters Near me guaranteed.

none so far

[Sep 09, 2021]
yammy man

Strength:

The acoustic suspension speaker box permits woofers to produce very tight accurate bass instead of the "Johnny One Note" boom of some ported speakers. I love the 3D staging and balanced sound of these Yammies. I don't use a sub, in my listening room the bass is perfect. Lorde's "Royals" is a good test. The mid and woofer cones are treated paper, not metal-like as stated in the description. IMO a paper cone gets the closest to natural sound. 5 stars all around. I have to add that the bass really "came alive" and stayed that way ever since I turned the volume all the way up to half one day. WAY LOUDER than my normal listening level. I immediately turned the volume back to 9 o'clock position (conversation level) on my Yamaha AX-497 amp with 85 watts per channel.

Both boxes have the tweets on the upper right, you might think as I did I received two right side speakers, however I was assured by Yamaha of the identical design of the 6490's.

$129
[Feb 14, 2021]
yammy man

Strength:

Natural and realistic reproduction of recorded material. Easily fills my small listening room (12x13) with non fatiguing sound. Well balanced highs mids and lows, nothing stands out, but any instrument can be heard and pinpointed in the wide sound stage that extends all the way to the side walls. The speakers are powered by an 85 watt per channel Yamaha AX-497 amp and are placed on stands at ear level (when seated), 3 ft. away from back and 3 ft. from side walls. Some reviewers mention binding posts, my pair has spring clips, however I was able to CAREFULLY insert the dual banana plugs on my cables. Side note: to the reviewer that gave 1 star may I suggest taking your head out of the toilet.

Not a weakness but the label on the back states these comply with CA laws as of 2018/07. I thought they were discontinued before that date.

$129
[Oct 12, 2010]
Alex
AudioPhile

Beautiful looking speakers but comes with many audible problems like: fake bass sound, too much treble and lacks mid range sound! They're good looking but disappointing in sound performance.
I like to listen to smooth jazz, but not on these speakers, I feel like smashing them with a sledge hammer!
And if you ever think of playing latin or reggae music on these speakers, guess what? They will sound like it's coming out of a toilet!!! Listen to my wise advice, save your money and buy something else!

[Mar 23, 2009]
D.G.
Casual Listener

Beautiful speaker with amazing clarity for the price. A bit on the large size for a bookshelf though.

[Dec 30, 2004]
herschelrj
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

The highs are crisp and clean. The sound overall is clean. Even when pushing the limit. The price was right on time.

They are a bit bulky and I can't use my stands for them. I will have to purchase a more sturdy stand...

Got a great deal on these. Since they are being discontinued, they were on sale. When the guy told me $19, I thought apiece. Was I wrong!!! It was for the pair. I have several sets of lower end speakers. I am on constant watch for the best sound at the best price. One day I will be able to afford the Martin-Logans or other high ends. But this was a great deal. I have some 201's that I was using as my fronts in my HTS and some 141's as surrounds. I used the NS 6490's as my front B speakers for a while and they sound great. Really nice highs and mids. I have a sub so that takes care of all my bass. Well as a true enthusiast, I have tried several different setups. The one I am settling on for now is the NS 6490 as my fronts and the 201's as surrounds and the 141's go in the pile with the KLH's ans Sony's that I don't use. I will probably set up another HTS in my bedroom if I can convince the wife, who is wonderful and has put up with my constant need for the perfect sound and system. Right now, these speakers rock. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Totally get my recommendation!!! Try the Santana 5.1 DVD and get blown away.

Similar Products Used:

Bose Polk Sony KLH

[Oct 25, 2004]
C4103
AudioPhile

Strength:

Value, Power, Quality of Sound

Weak mids, butt note

I have used these speakers for just about a year. They are amazing. You can not go wrong with these speakers for 50 a pair. There is no comparison to anything else this price. The highs are very very crisp, and the bass is very punchy. It seems to lack in the midrange at sometimes, and there seems to be this one note that the woofers hit sometimes that really sounds a lot louder than other frequencies, but I may just be imagining things.

Similar Products Used:

Various other bookshelf speakers (haven't had much need to replace these)