Usher Be-718 aka The Tiny Dancer Bookshelf Speakers

Be-718 aka The Tiny Dancer

The Be-718s are high performance monitor speakers engineered with the finest hand-picked components sourced from around the world. They feature beautifully-crafted and lustrously-finished cabinets plus advanced beryllium oxide tweeters for smoothly extended highs. A new mid-woofer controls and articulates the bass, providing a solid foundation for an open and inviting midrange. The integration, extension, solidity, speed and clarity of the Be-718s uncover low-level detail usually lost in the noise floor of less resolving speakers.

Sensitivity 87 dB @ 1 watt / 1m
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response (-3 dB) 42 Hz ~ 35 kHz
Power Handling 200 watts
Crossover Frequencies 2.06 kHz
Weight 37.9 lbs
Dimensions (w x d x h) 10.2" x 16.9" x 15.2"
Shipping Weight 82 lbs
Shipping Box (w x d x h) 24" x 19.1" x 18.9"

Audio creator   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 2016]

Great speakers - not for those people who like "loudness effect" sound. They are natural, liquid, homogenic, musical... speakers.
There are stories that the driver units in disproportion. That the tweeter better than midbass. I disagree - sounding bold, coherent and detailed. What else?
All recommendations.

Deetothevee   AudioPhile [Jan 20, 2013]

These are incredible speakers. They can be compared with speakers in the $5000 plus range. I know, I hear that a lot but I've listened to a lot of speakers and only until I got to that price range is when it started becoming debatable as to which was preferred. The separation of different elements of the music is excellent, the highs are gorgeous, the mids are sweet, big soundstage. It has an amazing ability to give you everything you want out of a speaker. They are a very natural and balanced sound. The bass is incredible for a bookshelf.

I've also recently had some listening sessions with other speakers just to see how the Ushers would compare after having lived with them for a few months. It made my opinions of these speakers more concrete. I listened to some dynaudio focus 160's and the ushers are in another league. The dynaudio's competed in the midrange but not anything else.

O and did I mention how these are the best looking speakers? I have the black piano finish with the birch wood and o man are they lookers. My girlfriend is now converted! Safe to say these will convert your wife to an audiophile LOL. Ushers - The Wife Converter.

Mofojo   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 02, 2011]

I have went through lots of speakers before settling on these. All the speakers I have ever owned there has been something that bothered me about them in the first couple of weeks. I cannot fault these boys. They are easy to listen to, dynamic, excellent tweeter, tight bass. Best of all they have a quality about them where everything just sounds right. Moved from Paradigm studio 100 (too boring), to Klipsch RF-7 (too bright), To Paradigm S4 (sounded excellent but soundstage was small and somehow sounded plastic. Can't describe it), To Dynaudio Focus 140 ( great little speaker just bass was too boomy and not very exciting), to Swan Diva 2.2 (yuck). I have listened to many others as well. Dynaudio C1 beats the Ushers IMO but by a very short distance. I listen to Rock, Metal, Country, Blues, and everything I throw at em just sounds right. I am running with Odyssey Audio Stratos Plus, Nad C541i cd player, and DA&T U2 DA and preamp. Also I have seen lots of discussion regarding how to tell if they are US version. Take out the woofer and look to see if the speaker wire is blue and white. If it is not they are not the US version.

Toppaz   AudioPhile [Sep 13, 2008]
Strength:

Incredible base output given their size, no need for a sub.

Sound just as good whether played soft or very loud.

Become Invisible when your eyes are closed.

Show up a poor quality souce.

I think they are slightly ugly due to their unusual proportions, although I do seem to be in the minority on this point.

Need an amp of at least 50wpc

I have owned many very fine speakers over the years including Quad ESL63s, Dynaudio 1.3s, Castle Howards, Ruark crusaders etc. but for me the mix of abilities that the Ushers posess make them standout, they are the the most accomplished speakers I have every owned. No siingle aspect stands out, if you close your eyes they simply vanish due to their ability to seamlessly intergrate all aspects of the speaker into a music experience. Worth every penny, outstanding.
(Price paid above is in pounds).

4heckssake   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

extended bass - no need / want for anymore
nice mids
clear extended treble
brilliant looks - high WAF
build quality and hardware is excellent
matching stands
excellent detail

limited availability in Australia
price a bit expensive perhaps but you get what you pay for.
have to dust the things regularly as the gloss finish show it up.
shows up weaknesses in your other equipment or source material.
have heard larger sound stages but not in my current room.
can sound a little harsh when playing poorly produced cd's.

Beautiful looks and sound to match.
This review of of the 2007 model in piano black which matching stands.
Overall I am very happy with these. They are the best speakers I have owned and I think I would need to spend considerable more to improve much. I have heard better but I think I would need to deal with my room acoustics and other equipment before upgrading these speakers.
I have not experimented too much as yet as these speakers were easy to position for good sound quality and I have since just sat down and listened to the music which is a great thing. I now just think about what I want to listen to next...which is a good thing for me.

Customer Service