Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers

DESCRIPTION

Small speakers—big sound: the SS-B3000 performance bookshelf speakers may not be large, but they pack a high resolution audio punch. With their highly-advanced 8" woofer and stellar reproduction qualities, these durably-constructed speakers will refresh your appreciation for your music collection.

USER REVIEWS

kenhobbs

Strength:

The speakers are great! Bass is awesome and it can definitely make your room our house tremble.

Price I guess Boots & Beauty

Chris889

Strength:

There are several big secrets about the SS-B3000 that many people aren't aware of: 1.) #1 speaker according to the #1 Consumer product evaluation group among speakers in its' class; 2.) Best value in speakers at any price; 3.) If you want to find the Kevlar technology used in these speakers, you'll only find them in speakers costing over $600 and up. 4.) While Bose may be the #1 speaker manufacturer, Sony not only has a Nobel prize winning scientist designing their amplifiers, but their speaker design team and advanced materials group will prove to you (once you listen to these) that nobody can compete with the sonic quality of these speakers bang for the buck. I don't say that to plug Sony, I say that because I own top-of-the-line Boston Acoustics, high end Magnepans and am an audiophile. That's why I have 3 pairs of these including the center channel in my bedroom and not my beloved Boston Acoustics. When I kill the lights and start the show, I create instant believers. When you hear these, the sound is so clear, it sounds like it's right there in the room. carpet cleaning columbia sc boutique hotels

I immediately noticed missing midrange sound that I heard from my previous speakers

LUCIm

Strength:

This type of speaker, in some form or another, has been around for a long time. I remember years ago I had a pair of Yamaha speakers that were almost identical except they were front ported. What they both shared in common was a very basic cabinet with budget parts, connectors, and drivers. And no crossover. That's right, these speakers only have a couple of basic cap's, but no actual crossover section. To me, the crossover is the heart of any speaker, without one you simply are not going to get a good sound. But the proof is in the pudding. If you have an amp that can switch back and forth between speakers just do an A & B comparison and even my older 2-way Sony bookshelf speakers clearly sound better. The SS-B3000's just sounds like you threw a blanket over them when you switch back and forth. But, as another reviewer has pointed out, it's not hard to add a crossover yourself. I had a pair of Technics 3-way crossovers from an old vintage set and I decided to try them out. A big improvement - huge actually. Seo Not For Hire Florida SEO Company

I can't quite figure out how these speakers, in their stock form, have received so many positive reviews. After a decent crossover is added, they go from a 3 star to a 4-star speaker. They are good as mains in a home theater setup but if you want to use them to listen to music don't bother unless you are willing to upgrade the crossover.

[Jun 19, 2020]
Karkkelley5277

Strength:

The SS-B3000 only offers a one-year parts and labor warranty. The Sony SS-B3000 offers an impressive amount of engineering and sound quality for its very low price. Unmanned Systems and Solutions

Everything is good so far

Used
[Apr 21, 2020]
levis

Strength:

Hey. I purchased these speakers about 10 years ago. Loved them, but because of the living room layout, needed some more hidden ones. Tried Cambridge surround, got really disappointed. Finally got some JBLs, slim, wall mounted, but the sound got really average. After I moved out from there, got back the Sonys, and got my "satisfaction" smile back. In the meantime I found some BW CDM 1NT that really got my attention and switched to them. It is a big/small difference. Both are really good quality, crisp an detailed sound. You can actually feel the difference between them, BUT I still can't forget about the Sonys. My next step would be to try to pair them in a surround system, using BW on a stereo setup for everything except electronic music, and all of them in surround or electronic music surround, since the Sonys are more forgiving then BW.

Absolutely none. Compared to BW CDM 1NTs, they might be just a little bit less detailed. But the highs, mids and lows are really there. It is an incredibly quality. Also, since I am listening lots of electronic music, I would highly recommend them for that.

Price Paid:
Model Year:
2013
[Jun 24, 2016]
JOHN P.
AudioPhile

These are probably the biggest eye openers Sony has produced in a VERY long time. They are extremely clean and have a good bass response too. Usually speakers in this size lack in one or the other - ESPECIALLY - at this price point. If your looking for a solid performer that sounds like it costs 3 times more - these are it. I wish Sony would make more speakers like this one. It seems like most of the speakers they produce are mediocre at best. These are the diamond in the rough. If your looking for stereo or home theatre - these will cover you. They are a bit bigger than most bookshelf speakers. That allows them to be placed on a stand and be used as your two front main channels. They have more than enough umph to function without a sub but a sub could compliment them if you like your sound boomy. All told, good speaker sound and good speaker value.

[Feb 16, 2016]
Mal-2
AudioPhile

I had a pair of SS-B1000 that I was pretty pleased with for a home entertainment system, but I wanted something with more punch and bought these. I was not disappointed. They throw a surprisingly solid and clean bass range for their size, and the highs are quite reasonable for something in this price range (or even two or three times the price). They're also light and small enough to be easily transportable, although I would disagree with the "bookshelf" designation Sony has given them. That implies hiding them amongst books. While you could put these on a bookshelf, you would have to remove most of the books, so I don't think that is an appropriate description.

They do color the sound, but it is in a pleasant way. I would never use them for mastering, to be sure, but for entertainment they are more than adequate and quite an excellent value for the money. They make great bedroom speakers, as they are an excellent compromise between size and sound quality.

Just throw away the cheap spaghetti wire cables they ship with and use something decent. That's about my only knock on them.

[Sep 10, 2013]
Darrel Mitchell
AudioPhile

Very good sounding speakers for the money. Full-bodied, rich, and detailed audio. I couldn't
believe they were $100! High are crisp and not overbearing. Mids are clear and detailed. Bass
is deep and very controlled without boominess. A very respectable speaker that perform well
above it's price range...

[Feb 23, 2013]
Jeff Large
AudioPhile

Truth is truth. No amount of audio snobbery can deny that these Sonys remind one of models built in 1980 or so, three-way designs with adequate-sized woofers without any need for extra bass. These woofers constantly surprise me, leaving the living room where my old Pioneer HPM-100's supply the bass to my bedroom where the Sony's form the front of a 5.1 system. The subwoofer is barely on, an 8" Yamaha just for effects but in stereo mode the Sonys shine on their own. They have well-chosen crossover points, "bass blocked" or not. They handle power we'll and deliver high volumes for moderate-sized rooms.

No doubt, these and their little AND big brothers are a fantastic value. You just have to get used to the fact that Sony made them. Strange but true, Sony delivered on these speakers.

[Feb 14, 2013]
kal
Audio Enthusiast

junk speakers with bad high range and bass blockers instead of decent crossovers.Mid range city,yes goes kinda low but not great,you'ld wanna go up to 60 -70 on sub so they don't strain.So whats so good about that? nothing,even at the price u can do better.No way do these compare to Paradigm or even polk,which are better built and sound better.