Quad 11L Bookshelf Speakers

Quad 11L Bookshelf Speakers

DESCRIPTION

The 11L is the entry point for the series, with a single five inch KEVLAR Format Bookshelf
bass 5" (125mm)
Gross Weight 13.8 kg pair

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 19, 2020]
edphi

Strength:

I have this for close to 15 years and its as good today as new. Paired with the best of Arcam A85, CD62 and running KabelDirekt interconnects, this is the best protected investment I made in hifi. Clear trebles. Great Mids for voice and acceptable lows. Can do better with low freq but this is a small speaker. Am thinking of adding a subwoofer.

The bass can be better but this is a bookshelf.

Purchased:
New
[Jun 19, 2020]
Karkkelley5277

Strength:

Build quality is excellent: the speakers have a hewn-from-solid feel few rivals can match. Generator Able

So far so good. Everything is fine.

Purchased:
Used
[Apr 12, 2020]
ManixZero

Strength:

The Quad 77-11L Stand-mount Speakers are amongst the very best that I have heard and certainly the best that I own. They are wonderfully insightful and detailed. They gave me a renewed interest in listening to my music collection on Vinyl, CD and most recently Tidal Masters. They have had me listening to, and enjoying music that I had previously had little interest in. They have revealed details previously unheard in tracks that I known intimately for decades. They don't have any cabinet colouration to speak of and disappear if you close your eyes, the sound-stage is very 3D and extends well beyond the speakers' positions. They have excelled at presenting everything that I've thrown at them from Johnny Cash to Stormzy and everything in-between. If you get the chance to get/listen to a pair - don't hesitate - they won't disappoint! the have gone way beyond my expectations!

They need care and attention with positioning to give their best. The Mrs doesn't like the colour (Birdseye Maple)

Price Paid:
£100
Model Year:
2004
[Oct 16, 2017]
John

Hi,

I recently picked up a set of the original 77-11L (77 series 1). Im not sure how they are compared to the current "classic 11L's" but for my set up they are fantastic. The set replaced my Snell K/ii's, and so far no regrets. Alos took some sets of B&W out of the standing.

Placement is key with this set, but if proper placement is achieved the sound stage really opens up. Fantastic lower end, very accurate lower end, not booming at all, but does not lack in any manner. The top end is nice and clear but not shrill. Simply a joy to listen to. For most of us we use the "smile test"... lets just say i grin non stop when i have music playing on the 11L's.

The cabinets just oozes quality, amazing finish. I picked up the black piano finish, and I still find myself just staring at them. Nice and heavy as well.

The drivers, nice cast baskets, and the motors (magnets) though not shielded, house a nice hefty magnet. The Kevlar cones are on point. My B&W 686's with the 5" Kevlar drivers have nothing on the Quad drivers. I was quite impressed with the size of the sound stage on such a small size speaker.

Like I stated above, placement is key with this set, but if you are in the market for small speakers, that is true of pretty much any and all you will find.

As a collector, and a music lover I can say this is one of my favorite sets of small speakers. If you have the ability to find a set of the 77-11L original series, run dont walk. well worth the investment.

Kind Regards,
John

[May 19, 2017]
Ed Miller
Audio Enthusiast

Simply put .. dollar for dollar the Quad 11L speaker is THE best in the marketplace. Period! Stop reading reviews of other speakers. Go visit your local retail outlet that carries them, reach into your pocket and buy a pair and then go home and enjoy a lifetime of crisp, clear, fidelity in music.

The biggest challenge will be what color cabinet to chose.

[Nov 29, 2012]
Martin I
Audio Enthusiast

These are excellent speakers...full stop. Purchased a very nice pair of 11L originals from a well known auction site in fabulous yew finish. They are compact and beautifully finished. 4 terminals per speaker to which I run 4 x monoblocks. 2 per speaker.

They are compact and fantastic on rigid stands. Can be placed fairly close to a wall (20-30cm) and toed in slightly for best imaging.

I can only describe the sound as breathtakingly lifelike. The detail from the soft domed tweeter is revealing yet never bright or edgy. The little bass/mid cone delivers a detailed mid range,acoustic guitars are just amazing, and plenty of tuneful bass from their diminutive size.

Some reviews out there descirbe them as being dull or having an edgy midrange when driven hard. Let's face it, these are small speakers designed for smallish rooms and are never going to deliver party levels of sound. Having said that, they go loud without fatigue and deliver a fantastic spread of sound across the room with a tremendous sense of air around each individual instrument. Very neutral in delivery.

I've had many types of speakers (bookshelf and floorstnding) but for out and out realism in this price range they are by far the best. One reviewer out there says, do you really need any more? I'd say you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more money to get a significant improvement. A very satisfying musical experience. Buy without hesitation

[Dec 04, 2010]
lad-dog
AudioPhile

At the time of writing this review I have been listening to my Quad 11L2's in the beautiful Rosewood finish for about 6 months now. I must say I have to agree with all the hype these speakers receive. I have been switching monitor speakers in and out over the last ten years. Some of my previous coveted monitors were Silverline SR 12's, Totem Rainmakers and Von Schweikert VR-1's. In listening to the Quad's I can honestly tell you they best them all. These simply are the best monitor speakers under $1000 PERIOD!!! Sure you can find better out there but you will have to spend upwards close to $2000 (not in my budget!) These would include monitors from Merlin, PMC and Proac...all around $2000 and up!!!!

The Quad 11L2's just totally disappear and allow the music to be heard. They are one of those speakers you can build an entire system around and be very happy. I first was using an NAD C340 integrated with these and the music was incredible through my Oppo bdp 83SE....but then I upgraded from the NAD to an Exposure 2010S2 integrated and WOW!!!! The music is so smooth, detailed and refined and for a monitor speaker I feed there is sufficient tight bass for an overall musically engaging experience.

My compliments to Quad for making such an amazing speaker!!!!!

Associated equipment:
Rega P3 turntable

[May 17, 2010]
Henrik Eismark

Purchased 2010 for GBP240.-

Sound is very nice, well rounded and well tempered with no flaws at all. In fact they put my economy sub-woofer out of work as it didn't harmonize.

I don't however experience the exuberance from the other reviews. It's worth the money I paid and maybe twice more as new and unused.

Playing on renovated and upgraded Quad 405-II and 44. incl new OP_AMPS of best quality and placed on stands.

I have no doubt they will serve a lifetime for many people.

Given the size and price it's brilliant product but it won't replace somewhat larger high end speakers. I recommend these to anyone on a budget requiring honest sound reproduction.

Personally I could at my age of 50 do with a raised tweeter, but that would be against the linear principles probably.

Great sound for it's modest price.

[Nov 20, 2006]
Videodrome
AudioPhile

Strength:

Incredible imaging. Nice, "British" sound. Beautiful finish.

At this price, none.

At the time of this writing, I have had the Quad 11Ls for about 3 months. In terms of how they meet the glowing reviews that have been bestowed on them, I am glad to say they certainly live up to their reputation. They have few weaknesses. What few there are, are sins of omission. As to their strengths:

First, the speakers image extraordinarily well. In this respect, they remind me of an old, coveted pair of Celestion SL600s. The 11L’s ability to render a wide and deep soundstage for a speaker at this price is simply amazing. Center fill is stunning, particularly on vocals. On a couple of occasions, while listening to two channel music, my wife has commented that she really loved the sound of “the center speaker” (also from the matching L series). I always enjoy seeing her reaction when I tell her it isn’t playing. The image she perceives is coming only from the left and right speakers. There are simply no gaps in the center image. And vocals are dead center. Close your eyes and it’s as if they’re right there singing to you. The speakers simply disappear. Chamber and Jazz music is also very good on the Quads. As to tonal balance, the Quads possess a very smooth midrange, but can be a teeny tiny bit dry on the extreme top end, depending upon associated electronics. I would characterize them as being more neutral than warm. At the same time, they are not analytical, sterile, or cold. They are also amazingly transparent. I have owned electostatics, and the Quads really approximate their level of transparency for a box speaker. Similarly, they are also quite fast in terms of transient response.

Now the less than stellar attributes: As I mentioned, these are sins of omission and are certainly to be expected based on price, cabinet size and the inherent limitations due the size of the drivers. As you would no doubt expect, bass response is the 11L’s Achilles heel -- they simply cannot move the air of a larger floor stander. If that’s a show stopper, look at the 21L or beyond -- I hear that model is quite satisfying for those needed a fuller bottom end. That said, I don’t want to sell the 11L’s bass performance short -- what’s there is pleasant, free of boom and goes surprisingly deep; but if you’re into Crunk, Reggae, Organ Music, etc., look elsewhere unless you have a quality sub in your system. I am, in fact, running the speakers with a sub crossed at 80Hz and they mate fairly seamlessly. If you’re in a similar boat, this may make a jump to the 12L unnecessary.

Second, the speakers are very revealing despite their modest price. Initially, I powered them with an old pair of Adcom GFA 565 monoblocks. I have since upgraded to a McCormack DNA-125. Some may find it odd to pair a $2K amp with a pair of sub-$1K speakers, but believe me, the Quads shine a spotlight at whatever you throw at them. That includes bad recordings. So be forewarned, don’t expect to hear what these speakers are capable of with sub-standard electronics. And if it’s a great recording, sit back and enjoy; but if it’s a bad one, the Quads are not going to glaze over its sonic deficiencies. My advice is to pair them with neutral to warm sounding electronics. An appropriately powered tube amp would really make them sing.

Third, the speakers are not up to par with larger floor standers in terms of visceral dynamics. Though this is mostly a function of its bass limitations, you’ll still notice a lack of “slam”, across the entire frequency spectrum. This may also make the speaker less than ideal for cavernous listening / home theater rooms. Again, a sin of omission and the speaker excels with nearly all the musical genres you throw at it. But for the bumpin’ and thumpin’ stuff, you’ll be left felling a bit wanting.

Lastly, I wish Quad had made the 11L more efficient. Granted, 86dB with a 6ohm load is not a beast, but it does limit amplification choices. Had Quad made the speaker 8ohm and over 90dB efficient, it could have really opened up some interesting pairings with low output tube amps (i.e. SET designs) or digital / Class D amps. SO reading between the lines, don’t skimp on the juice. The product literature says you can use as low as a 30 w.p.c. amp, but I think that would be underpowered if you plan to listen to the speaker at any volume and would offer limited headroom for movies (if you’re using the speaker in a home theater setting).

In summary, I am extremely pleased with my purchase and would not hesitate to recommend them. I was lucky to pick up a pair of the discontinued yew finish for a great price. The cabinets, with their 7 coats of piano lacquer, are simply beautiful. I was also able to purchase the matching 11L center in yew. Together, they make a wonderful speaker ensemble that excels on both two-channel music and home theater playback. Even if the 11Ls were twice the price, you can’t go wrong.

Similar Products Used:

Martin Logan, Mirage, Snell, Celestion, Boston Acoustics.

[Nov 05, 2006]
dharmasteve
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Midrange beautiful, bass accurate and realistic. Musical without being thick or too warm. Fluid and transaprent.

nest pas

I'd always wanted a pair of Quad 11L's but never really having the spare cash I'd accepted they were not for me. A couple of years ago I'd bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 standamounts to partner a slightly forward and agressive Musical Fidelity X-80 amp. The 9.1's had won Speaker of the year and were classy, full and musical. A couple of months ago whilst playing around on the internet I saw my local Hifi store had an end of line in the limited edition teak laquer finish Quad 11l's on offer at £199. Bingo!!! Fifteen minutes later I was in the shop credit card at the ready. This was pure desire but better late than never.

There is a great deal of similarity between the Wharfedale 9.1's and the Quad 11L. The 9.1's have really classy rich but fluid sound that's really hard to dislike. They'd mastered the X-80's slightly aggressive presentation and I was really happy. The Quads though are a class act. They look AAA111, really beautiful laquer finish. The sound though is nothing sort of magical. Wherever possible the speakers bring a close up feel. They add width and depth to the soundstage. For a small speaker bass is real quality. Not in the depths but in the quality. Bass guitar strings have firm and recognisable edges and all bass is solid. Nitin Sawhneys, Anthem Without a Nation on the Beyond Skin album test out bass. It will show it up for good or bad. Is the bass wooly of solid? Mobile or slow? The Q 11L's have the edges and movement to excite. Midrange and vocals are perfectly forwards in the soundstage. Melody and musicality always prominent. If the upgrades are anything like these they will be magic. This is one happy chappy. If they come your way get them. Although they are great out of the box, after the 50 hours burn in time they open up to give sheer pleasure.

Similar Products Used: