Paradigm Reference 7SE Mk2 Bookshelf Speakers

Paradigm Reference 7SE Mk2 Bookshelf Speakers

DESCRIPTION

2 way bookshelf speaker with 8 inch woofer. Mid 90s.

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 24, 2020]
Sansushi74

Strength:

Paradigm 7SE 2 way bookshelf. I just took mine out from storage. I thought I might just use the cabinets and replace the drivers but their great for rock where details don't matter and recording quality is a mess most of the time. They image very well, smooth and airy highs etc..Not an audiophile speaker but darn good for what it is and they look good! Perfect for rock though where detail doesn't matter but solid and tuneful with a good kick and good separation that they don't get muddled. Zeppelin sounds excellent on these! I'm running a vintage Sansui au7900, perfect combo.

Lack fine detail and need power to get the best out of them.

Purchased:
Used
[Jun 25, 2020]
Pascal694

Strength:

Those are the best speakers I've ever owned! They are 30 years old, but still sound better than my Canton GLE 470. I drive them with an Atoll IN 80 integrated amp. Wow! Sounds like I have a tube amp. So warm and musical. The highs are incredibly defined ansd the vocals are present. Bass is just enough. Got'em for free!

None so far. Appart from being 1980 style aesthetique.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1991
[Feb 02, 2020]
Pilotguyrob

Strength:

I've owned these Paradigm 7SE MK2 for about 25 years plus years. The original owner's wife said they were too big for their apartment (they aren't very big). I got them for $600 including stands. I run them on Carver C1 Sonic Holography Preamp and a Carver 250 watt per side amplifier. The match is made in heaven. I had planned to spend thousands on a stereo later in life. No need. These sound better than speakers that cost thousands more. The imaging is amazing. The incredibly clean bass is deeper than imaginable, without being booming or muddy. Without thumping your chest, you can still feel it internally. You can hear every subtle nuance of every sound. These speakers are as flat as they come with incredible range. (for those who don't know, "flat" a good thing meaning it doesn't add too much bass, midrange, or treble). Best buy I ever made in my life of Hifi since I was 11 years old (57 now), I will never sell them at any price.

Weakness with this speaker are "none". It's astonishing that this quality of sound comes from this size speaker. They have held up all these years (about 30 years? now).

[May 01, 2013]
musichal
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a pair of these about four years ago in a thrift shop at a bargain - they came with woodmere stands and looked, still look, new. The tweeter in one cabinet was several db lower in level than the other, which I susbsequently traced to a crossover problem and whcih was resolved by recapping. Recapped both speakers, all caps. Easy fix if you have a soldering iron.

I'm driving the speakers with a beefy Adcom MOS-FET amp which delivers 200wpc into 8 ohms, and 350 into 4. The 7se II's can deliver very high volumes in my medium size den, though I don't often crank them very high. Most of my listening is at low to medium levels. These Paradigms deliver a very high sound quality at all levels, with surprisingly deep bass for a single 8" driver - I've heard many speakers with larger woofers which don't perform as well. Mids are slightly recessed, providing more of a center-hall type soundstage vs a front-row 'view.' Highs sparkle, but speaker is balanced, not bright. A good taste of high-end sound at low cost. Highly recommended.

[Aug 21, 2010]
Bill
Audio Enthusiast

The old paradigm speakers are built and sound better than the new ones. They should never have tried to build a high end speaker. The 7se mk2 is the best sounding speaker they have ever made. The soft dome tweeters are way smoother than the new medal domes. Very fiew speaker manufacturers know how to engineer a medal dome tweeter. I had the 9se mk2 for a while but they were really bass heavy. The 7 has just the right amount of bass without overcoming the midrange. And the stands bring them up to open up the midrange as well. I have owned many speakers and these are the best for all types of music. They produce bass down to 35 HZ and have very warm neutral sound. The tweeter is silky smooth and laid back. The timing is perfect between the two drivers. These speakers sound very full and image like crazy. They do not sound bright or thin------a very smooth frequency response. I have about $3000 worth of gear and cable hooked up to them and they love it. Paradigm went down hill fast when they started to put medal dome tweeters in their speakers. With a cheap medal dome percusion sounds like a rake coming down on your forehead. The highs are too bright and too forward. and it blends the vocals into the high frequency.

[Feb 07, 2009]
hifi rookie
Audio Enthusiast

Upon setting my system up which i purchased rather inexpensively, i wasnt really hoping for much ,other than the fact i was going to use this system ,which by the way is a nakamichi reciever 3,cassette#2 and cd#3,and a pair of paradigms 7se mkii as my secondary system.

well i was rather taken aback by the richness of the sound....when i played Eva Cassidy songbird i could not leave the room,the fullness of the sound filled the room ,as if i was sitting in front of her....beautiful highs.,the lows are rich, deep and embrace your ears with senuality....look forward to listening for many years.