Elac BS53 Bookshelf Speakers

Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity 89 dB at 2.8 V / 1 m

Mick   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 09, 2013]

Over rated.

Had these speakers passed down from my sister. This is just an ordinary so so Mid-Fi speaker. It does work ok as a desktop speaker though.

Pros: Highs are crisp at low to moderate-low volume. Tight bass.

Cons: Things just get worst when you go beyond 1/4 volume. Mid range is recessed and not crisp. Distortion is audible even at moderate volume. Very weak bass for such a large box. Total waste of wood. Sound quality in my opinion is worth not more than $50 each. You get what you paid for.

Colin L   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 28, 2011]

Heard the usual What Hifi suspects in my search for bookshelves to pair with my Marantz PM7000.Was very impressed with the full bodied sound and liked that Elac would be an alternative choice. These speakers can move serious air while sounding tight. Highly recommended.

Hagi   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2011]

I looked few years ago to an entry audiophile bookshelves speakers for my home, And already ordered Polk Audio 6 shelf speakers after hearing few sets of stereo speakers in different configurations, and THEN I went to listen to these Elac which blew my mind.......I canceled the Polk audio order from another supplier and am happily married to these speakers for more than 3 years now.
I use them with Audiolab's 8000S amplifier, But he has his flaws (Channel seperation and ground seperation are not the best), But it couples very well with these AMAZING speakers for their price range.