Boston Acoustics CS 26 Bookshelf Speakers

CS 26

• Video-shielded
  • Bass-reflex (ported) design
  • Frequency response 52-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • Handles up to 150 watts
  • 1" Kortec soft dome tweeter

JOHN P.   AudioPhile [Jun 24, 2016]

I bought these used at a yard sale. Price was good too. (I would totally buy a few more sets at full retail if they were still available) I was surprised when I got home and wired them up. They are very clean and detailed especially for a bookshelf speaker. The bass response is decent, the mids and highs are clean. It's very balanced, most bookshelf speakers are really bright without any real bass. Not these. The quality of the sound makes me smile when I am listening to anything from classic to rock or electronica. They handle some good power too. They get loud without getting dirty sounding either. This is my first Boston speaker set ever. I REALLY like them. If the rest of their lineup sounds this good or better I am gonna be spending some money.

OVERALL
Garth   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 13, 2010]

I wasn't sure about these when I first received them. I've heard few bookshelf speakers I really like, so I wasn't holding my breath these would be any different..... but they were.

Far from the wall I was unimpressed. I ended up placing them up against the wall in my room, and they sound surprising good there. The cabinets are nicely finished in Cherry. So many in this range are too bright, but these are not ...... just natural and uncolored. The mid is the same.... uncolored. The bass is more than adequate. As with anything audio, the quality of the recording source and amp are paramount to a good sound. I use these with an Outlaw RR2150.

There are surely better speakers, better drivers etc., but at what cost? My days of buying high end speakers are over, As I found a sharp decline in the money-to-pleasure ratio ..... and akin to a dog chasing it's own tail ..... there's no end.

These are more than adequate for my needs, so much so I'm getting another pair.

OVERALL