Boston Acoustics Boston Acoustics HD5 Bookshelf Speaker Bookshelf Speakers

Boston Acoustics HD5 Bookshelf Speaker

The finest sounding entry-level loudspeaker available It features a 5 1/4" inch Boston built woofer and our standard-setting 3/4-inch ferrofluidcooled dome tweeter

Specifications:
Frequency Response: 65-20,00 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Tweeter: 3/4" Dome
Woofer: 5 1/4" copolymer
Crossover Frequency: 3,500 Hz
Dimensions: 13 1/2" x 8 1/4" x 7 1/4"
Weight: 9lbs

Jon   AudioPhile [Jul 23, 2009]

I've owned a pair for more than 10 years and they still sound excellent. Paid $100 USD at Magnolia Hi-Fi in Beaverton, Oregon. My brother owns two pair of these...one set for his office and one set for home. Currently I use mine to mix down in my home studio. Love 'em....never sell them. They are not audiophile quality but they're much better than so much crap out there today and the price was right.

I should mention, I've run these A/B against nicer JBLs, B/As, and Infinity speakers and there is little audible difference.

EdM   Audio Enthusiast [May 11, 2009]

I agree with the positive rating for sound quality. The bass that comes from these teeny speakers is pretty good. Except if you turn it up even a little they fry. At least that's what happened to me. All of my equipment was totally within the specs, and the volume wasn't that loud. One woofer fizzled. So the good price doesn't seem like a value when repair/replacement is considered.

masmediaspace   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 23, 2007]
Strength:

Bass, Dynamics, size, price, off axis listening

Imaging

Picked this up at Goodwill a few years ago; great little speaker for under $100. Absolutely amazing bass and good highs/mids. I'm not sure where its weak exactly as far as frequency but it will get fatiging after hours of play at high levels. I must reiterate that for the money/diminuative size, they can supply the sound for parties and pull it off brilliantly. Truely a David(as in David and Goliath) but there is really no imaging whatsoever. Jazz sounds excellent, bass response is shockingly good(for its size), a great little speaker for the bedroom, shop, office, or rear usage in HT. Now I want to check out the rest of the Boston line.