B&W CM 2 Bookshelf Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 03, 2017]
Andrew R. Humes
AudioPhile

I have been using these as studio(vs. Control)monitors and as high frequency addenda to my JBL 4430's-I am a silly fellow, but it worked in my private open, studio, where no one complained but me. Using them as close range monitors now, driven by a QSC 100W unit,(soon to be connected to a pair of McIntosh 75W tubers circa 1965). They were surprisingly vast on top of the beasts, and the "finer" highs were welcome. Now that I'm using them more properly, I'm pretty much blown away! Super tight from High to Low, and direct and clean mids, too. Can't wait to hear them thru the Macs! Very exciting! Love these little babies! If I didn't have the JBL beasts to shake the room, I'd definitely have a good subwoofer, but I love em like this.

[May 16, 2012]
peterh
AudioPhile

I listened to thse a few times a best buy. In general, they have good accuracy, good imaging, good fidelity of timbre, good dynamics, and good bass within their limitations. And they are pleasingly compact. Like all BW products they give an impression of quality. You can get a decent subwoofer very cheaply these days, so I don't see bass as a big problem. However, when listening to the smaller CM1 I noticed that the litle speaker seemed to have an edge in naturalness, imaging and fine definition. Everything seemed to jell better, as if you were listening to a live performance from a distance. So I can't really recommend buying these without listening to the CM1 first. Also, there are a lot of good speakers in this price bracket, which becomes a factor.

[Apr 19, 2010]
hifijab
Audio Enthusiast

I bought these speakers while ago to upgrade from my B&W 602 S3 and these are superb and you can see the improvement on the sound stage, more tonal balance and clarity. Build quality is superior ( real wood Veneer) to 601 & 602 and they are steady and heavy.

[Oct 22, 2009]
Jairo Serrano
Audio Enthusiast

Just got a pair of CM2s to replace my B&W 602s and I'm very happy with this buy! They have a super detailed, natural sound, which has been ideal for critical audio listening. I use them as monitors for classical and jazz music editing and they provide every detail and subtlety in the recording! Being so detailed, it's great they are not tiring after hours of continuous listening. They do lack a bit of bass, (especially if you are listening to a full orchestra and chorus work) and I would recommend getting a nice subwoofer to boost the bass in a natural way. But for my present needs, I definitely prefer having a NATURAL bass sound, than an artificial overpowering bass sound which has nothing to do with the real recording. I highly recommend these speakers for any serious music lover with a small or medium size space. The quality build is superb; beautiful clear sound at all volume levels.

[May 24, 2007]
fjgf
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clear mid range, highs superb imaging, Warm, deep bass, non fatiging, big performance, quality build

Color (mapple)

A beautiful speaker and great overall

None

None

[Feb 17, 2005]
Kevin M
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Lack of cabinet noise. Quality build. Big performance from a small box.

Lower midrange can seem slightly repressed at times. Rather narrow dispersion on the high end.

A beautiful speaker with sound to match. Best on female voice, weakest on male voice. Great overall. Depending on placement, you may need a sub. Very clean at high volume. Not the best at very low volumes, as would be expected from a small speaker.

Similar Products Used:

Many. Replaced with B&W 805s's.