B&W CDM 1 Bookshelf Speakers

CDM 1

4th Order Vented Bookshelf Speaker - 6.5" Kevlar Woofer and 1.25" Fluid-Cooled Metal-Dome Tweeter

sergio   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 05, 2015]

I 'm looking for B&W CDM 1 dedicate STANDS. Can you help me to find its ?
Dainese Sergio - Italy

benita   Casual Listener [Feb 18, 2009]

If possible, and if time permits, I'd like to thread 4 yellow rubberrings around my husbands erect manhood and walk naked through the streets of an high-income neighbourhood. In summer of course, or else the rubberrings might fall off.

Milos   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 13, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent mids and highs. Wide and big sounstage with precise instrument placement. Very detail sound. Boxless sound.

Not for all types of music. You will lack punch in bass, bite in rock. But for the price, there are no weaknesses at all.

I use this speakers with Sugden A21a series 2 amp and Shanling CD-T80 cdp. The sound is excellent, very smoth and non-fatigue. Speakers have good bass response, yet there is not much energy at botom end.
Listening to vocals and acoustics they shine. You can feel all harmonics there and almost all the detail with natural preservation. Excellent mids and highs. Soundstage is very big with correct instrument placement. This speaker is a bit warmer than B&W ussually are. Aso a little bit laid-back character.
While listening to electronic, you may feel it sounds too calm and a bit non-involving. There is no real punch in bass. Also, while listening to rock you may lack a real bite.
Therefore, acoustic music is the most convinent for this speakers. While listening to classical music and jazz it is realy shines.

Customer Service

Hint: Change caps in crossover with some block caps (the originals are bipolar) and you will get more opened, detailed sound.

Similar Products Used: B&W 601, B&W Matrix 804
tavares   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 10, 2006]
Strength:

The sound are very well balance; deep; with a good definition,

With low volume, its not so good.

I use B&W CDM1 with a CD Rotel 02 and Onkio amplifier....

You can feel the diference...ist´s very very good. It works better with Jazz or bossa nova or any other vocals.
The sound are very well balance; deep; with a good definition, its like an alive concert in front of you.

For the price ( at new) this speakers are very well projected.

Similar Products Used: B&W 301
Leonardo barroso   AudioPhile [Oct 01, 2002]
Strength:

Everything but deep bass. I have the speaker for six years, and I still find new surprise each day.

It doesn't work very well with low powered amp ( min. 30W ) and small rooms. Although it is a monitor, it needs much space.

I've bought the CDM1 in 1996, with NAD 304 Int. Amp. and Mirage PS-20-120 subwoofer. The front-end JVC CD 1050 with Aragon D2A2. The sound was great. This year I've bought a new amp a Creek 4340 SE, and what a differance a amp makes, I've lowered my sub level, and now I have a new speaker.

Andy   Audiophile [Nov 19, 1999]
Strength:

Great imaging, tonal balance, soundstage

can be difficult to set up properly

Great speakers...particularly revealing with the righ electronics. Can be difficult to place - true of any
high end speakers though. Highly recommended

Christopher McGuire   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 11, 1997]

After all of the various outstanding reviews that I had read about the B&W CDM-1, I had very lofty expectations when I purchased them; I am please to say that I was not disappointed. I love these speakers and considering what I paid for them I love them even more. They are ideal for my confined apartment space and look like nice pieces of art with their unique cabinet design. I have noticed two important things over my stay with the CDM-1. First, they are extremely detailed. They have revealed to me nuances in recordings I never knew existed. I find that I have been going back over my entire music collection as well as movies to see what I had been missing. Second, they benefited greatly from bi-wiring. I was at first hesitant to bi-wire, I felt that the improvement would be only subtle, but boy was I wrong. The sound-stage seemed to open up another notch. I highly recommend the B&W CDM-1s to anyone who is about to take their first step into audiophile arena; of course, if you are already trapped there, try not to be put-off by their bargain price. Unless you have a need to spend greater amounts of money on other speakers I suggest you audition the CDM-1—you will not be disappointed.

Erich Nøkling   an Audiophile [Dec 25, 1996]

I have assembled a nice "near-field" home-theatre for my 4.5 metre x 4 metrelistening room it's made up of:

B&W 805 Front
Pioner CLD-D704 laserdisc player
Pioneer AC-3/DPL preamp
Rotel 5 x 100w THX amp
All Monster THX cabled

The CDM-1 blends naturally with the 805s, the only difference being a litle less
detail in the treble/midrange , and some more bass-extension in the CDM-1. The 805 is less musical, but more revealing and natural than the CDM-1. The 805 add less of their own sound to the music. The 805s + sub almost equals a pair of 801s, having the same speed, and lack of boominess.
The bass in the CDM-1 is good enough to run them as fullrange speakers in AC-3.
The CDM-1 was selected as speaker of the year i europe last year, and for the price it has no equal, the same goes for 805, ASW, and HTM. Together they
produce a soundfield of unspeakable detail, speed, and dynamics.

Workmanship and details like rounded edges, goldplated biwire-able speakerpost,
and bassport-aerodynamics are second to none at their price.

Sans Sonus Faber and Pro Ac's at many times their cost, nothing touches
the B&W minimonitors in a small room.

Steve Graham   an Audio Enthusiast [May 03, 1997]

I demoed this speaker biamped with two different systems - Arcam Alpha 9 & 9P and Audiolab 8000S & 8000P, both using my Micromega Leader CD player. The speakers were excellent with acoustic music - 10,000 maniacs unplugged, but struggled a bit (as you would expect from such a small enclosure) with bass heavy music - Massive Attack's Protection.
Overall though they seemed very pleasant and musical, and good value for money.

Christian Chen   an Audio Enthusiast [May 02, 1997]

Hmmm.. Well, considering all the rave reviews of this speakr, I guess I will look like a fool But I've auditioned this speaker. I thought it was poor. The sound was muddy. Vocals sounded as if they were being heard through a fabric screen. The bass was way too excessive, especially for such a small speaker. The bass response tended to completely dwarf everything else. Orchestra pieces sounded as though there were 30 double bass and 50 cellos in the orchestra. Whenever a vocalist hit a low note the sound reverberated everywhere. And mind you, I listened to this speaker in two different rooms connected to three different sets of electronics. One was an all Acurus system, one was an all Tandberg system, and the last was an all CONRAD JOHNSON system! Maybe I'm spoiled by my own speakers, the Castle Isis, which cost a mere $500, and do everything better than the CDM-1 from B&W.