B&W 685 Bookshelf Speakers

B&W 685 Bookshelf Speakers

DESCRIPTION

For hi-fi or home cinema in small to medium-sized rooms, you need a loudspeaker that is doesn’t take up floor area, but whose sound can still command the space. You’ll find the 685, which can sit on a shelf, table, stand or wall-mount, an inspired choice.

Its 165mm diameter Kevlar® cone bass/midrange is based on a tried-and-trusted B&W design, but its new fixed centre bullet helps to smooth the response in upper frequencies. Also, by setting the bass/midrange closer to the tweeter than in equivalent earlier speakers, we have improved the integration and vertical dispersion of sound from the two units. The Nautilus™ tube-loaded, aluminium dome tweeter, featuring a new surround material to improve spaciousness and imaging, adds needle-sharp top end all the way to 50kHz and beyond.

The improvements to the drive units in the new 600 Series make it possible, for the first time, to introduce a minimalist crossover to the range. The use of components that are fewer in number but higher in quality – hand-picked in exhaustive listening tests – reduces the degradation of the signal significantly. So, whether you’re enjoying hi-fi or home cinema, what you hear is that much closer to what was recorded.

Visually, a refreshed, contemporary design language and a widened choice of wood finishes allows the 685 to fit in effortlessly with any interior.

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 04, 2022]
Jelai Ande

[Nov 23, 2021]
jackslesly19

Strength:

Bought this speaker several months ago, and it was really my fav speaker ever. Actually using this speaker at Appliance Repair Redmond Oregon office. The sound quality is the best.

Highly recommended this.

[Nov 19, 2021]
francis192

Strength:

I love this speaker. Easily the fullest and neatest sound I've heard D | car accident lawyer

None - get these!

[Nov 03, 2021]
Breana

Strength:

Good speaker! Keep it up lubbock fence companies

None so far

[May 06, 2021]
shemikasoraya

Strength:

A good decision of mine to replace my old one. I purchased them two years ago at Goodwill Auction online and was lucky they are perfect especially for Kitchen Cleaning Oakland.

I think in a big room with lots of space makes a difference.

[Apr 07, 2020]
jeff89

Strength:

These B&W speakers are perfect for smaller rooms! They provide full sound spectrum mixed with accurate harmony mid-range. They fully amplify an 85 watt (Cambridge audio) receiver and make it sound like 200 watts. A complete bargain for $650.00 and more. The bass is totally covered and balanced as well as the mid-range instrumentation.

[Feb 22, 2020]
ruskinpaul

Strength:

i had them on bookshelf and they sounded they great. I saw a pair of stands made for them and bought them. It really makes a difference and by placing it on the stand and away from wall. I am lucky that my living room is very large 20 x 25 with granite floors with cathedral ceilings and driving them with a vintage jvc jr-s501 monster receiver they sound remarkable. I am really amazed how it sounds. I purchased them two years ago at Goodwill Auction online and was lucky they are perfect.

Not really anything, I think in a big room with lots of space makes a difference.

Price Paid:
[Feb 22, 2020]
ruskinpaul

Price Paid:
[Jan 17, 2018]
Armand
Audio Enthusiast

This review is for the 685s series 1. I became a B and W fan largely because I liked our local dealer, who has since sold his business to a larger, out-of-state outfit. I have had these speakers for more than 10 years now and have to say that they have served me well. These are not perfect speakers but I have to say that they are a substantial improvement over the 602s I had earlier. The bass is much tighter and better defined (for a ported system.) The overall tonal balance and musicality are much improved. Imaging is also much better. The only significant complaint is that the treble could be a bit better integrated with the midrange (which I understand has improved with the series 2). Upgrading the phase plugs to ones from the 800 series made a big improvment in midrange detail. This is still one of the best speakers for the money but I think the acoustic suspension NHT Super One 2.1 (which I also have) is a more accurate speaker with better quality bass for about half the price. Hence, I am giving these speakers only four stars for value. It also bothers me a bit that B and W made its reputation through small independent specialty dealers (such as the one I bought these speakers from) but is now selling at least its lower end speakers in a mass market big box store. I know the market has changed and audio companies are struggling to survive but a company of B and W's size, calibre, and reputation should have no trouble keeping its sales up with exclusive distribution. I think they run the risk of tarnishing their image and reputation among audiophiles. With the small caveats above, I would recommend these speakers as a generally well balanced and musical loudspeaker that does well with a wide variety of music.

[Jun 11, 2016]