Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Bookshelf Speakers

Two-way bookshelf speaker
Advanced crossover featuring OPPIXâ„¢
Custom 5.25" long throw mineral-filled PP woofer
Advanced 26mm soft dome tweeter w/ wave-guide
Custom tooled high-flow flared rear port tube
Audiophile quality 5-way gold-plated binding posts
Available in natural or piano-black finishes

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 20, 2022]
ampva302

Strength:

My friend from fence installer company recommend this speaker to me, so I will just keep reading for good, weaknesses of this thing

i do not own this one yet

[Jul 15, 2022]
Kyzer1816

Strength:

I like this, looks simple but it sounds good. irrigation mansfield tx

[Feb 03, 2022]
Jelai Ande

Strength:

This is perfect! This is highly recommended by our company San Antonio Foundation Repair & Waterproofing Pros.

New
[Jul 12, 2021]
joeanderson

Strength:

if you are looking for a high-quality subwoofer for an affordable price, Baltimore Drywall Contractors recommends this SIERRA-1 speaker.

Used
[Feb 02, 2021]
Chris889

Strength:

The Sierra is quiet and clean like few loudspeakers I have ever heard, yet it is dynamic and punchy, extremely refined and airy, and most important -- incredibly easy to listen to. It is deeper and more dynamic than many ‘full range' floorstanders I have auditioned. child custody

or the serious music lover (I'm talking about those of us who spend more on music each year than we spend on gear our entire lives) or a budget audiophile, the age-old truism of "put the majority of your money in speakers" could not ring more true here. The Sierra-1 makes a great foundation to an audio system, one that you can upgrade around for years (or not)…they could be the last speakers you ever buy. In fact, they may well be the last that I ever buy. insurance claim lawyer deep tissue massage South Tampa

New
[Feb 01, 2021]
Breana

Strength:

Yess! This is a high quality speaker so far. Thanks nutraceutical merchant account

None so far!

[Aug 04, 2010]
gretchen
AudioPhile

Teriffic speakers.Lots of detail and a very good soundstage.As good as Sonus Faber Concertinos and $2,200 Aerial 5B for less than half the cost.I got the gloss black.The natural bamboo looks really good and costs even less than in black.Highly recommended !

Creek cd player
PS Audio control integrated amp
PS Audio speaker cables
Martin Logan Abyss subwoofer

[Jul 21, 2010]
BBArlow690
Audio Enthusiast

Right out the box, the Sierra-1s were lively and engaging. Now broken in, they're smoother, and even more engaging.

Bass is deep and tight. String basses on jazz recordings are satisfying without my subwoofer in the system. Pianos and cellos are rich and full. Cymbals are lush.

The Natural finish is lovely to look at. Bamboo is an interesting material, and as a woodworker I can vouch for the quality of the qorkmanship.

I find I'm listening to music almost all the time - a change from before. I want to go through all my recordings just to hear what they sound like through the Sierra-1s.

I don't know if I'll use my subwoofer with them. I'm sure I'll try it, but I'm not sure I'll keep it. We'll see.

These are outstanding for the price. They're replacing Spendor S3/5s, and there's no comparison in the way the Sierra-1s suck me into the music. And I liked the Spendors a lot!

THey are more than adequately driven by my Krell KAV-300i integrated, and handle the power well.

Highly recommended!

[Jul 21, 2010]
Bruce Barlow
Audio Enthusiast

Right out of the box, the Sierra-1s were full of life and engaging. Now broken in, they are smoother, and even more engaging. I haven't felt the need to go back and listen to many discs of my collection until now. What they do with old Bill Evans recordings is nothing short of wonderful.

As a matter of fact, I'm listening to music much more that I was before the Sierra-1s. I seem to have a disc on most of the time.

The Natural finish is lovely, so they look as good as they sound. Bamboo looks like such an interesting material, and as a woodworker, I can vouch for the quality of the workmanship.

I'm delighted with how much deep, tight bass the Sierra-1s put out. String bass is deep, strong, and articulate. Pianos and cellos are rich and full. Top end cymbals are smooth. I have yet to add my subwoofer, and I'm not sure I'm going to. I'll probably try it, but I'm not sure it will be an improvement. We'll see.

This is an outstanding speaker at a great price. They are replacing my Spendor S3/5s, which just don't compare in the ability to suck one into the music.

They're attached to a Krell KAV-300i, which gives them a lot of power, which they seem to like, and handle well.

Highly recommended.

[May 13, 2010]
ediblestarfish
Audio Enthusiast

To start this informal commentary (I'm no audiophile, I just want good enough sound), I'd like to thank Dave for making my internet streams sound terrible, and for making any badly synthesized instruments stick out like a shark crossing the highway wearing a fluorescent tutu.

I wanted to write a more detailed review, discussing the subtle details expressed by a speaker of this caliber. But then I might as well copy and paste from another review since I find a comfortingly similar list of conclusions, even though I'm severly lacking in any review credence.

The shortened long version:

The Sierra-1's sound so neutral, I was initially at a total loss to describe them after I first fired them up. Actually, I was terribly disappointed when I first heard them, as they simply didn't sound like anything. I looked for some characteristic in their music representation that could differentiate them from other speakers and all I could think was,

"Well duh, neutrality is the usual way to design a good speaker you idiot."

I gander many people have had the same experience. A sort of awkward yearning to point out something out of place, like the monobrow on that guy working at the electronics store (aha!) just so you don't leave that other shoe hanging.

After listening to them for a bit longer and conversing with myself some more, I did notice a few things, like: their tremendously low fatigue. I have a pair of Thiel CS 1.6 (purchased direct off some one-sided advice) which I'm not afraid to admit, sound better. They are clearer, with a larger and more seamless soundstage that sounds more natural and coherent. But I can't listen to them to for more than 15 minutes without my ears feeling like they are full of infectious fluid. Clearly I am not exactly happy with $3k US worth of speaker that sits in the living room as a merit badge, but I suppose they work fine if I'm in the other room.

But why would I want to be in the other room?

So winner by default in this comparison is the Sierra-1. Congradulations. I can listen to them right in my face all day, bereft of any work acompliments with no fatigue. I'm not sure something that encourages laziness on this scale should be legal.

To cut the sarcasm back, yes, the Sierra-1s do sound tremendously good for their price range, but yes, you can still get better sound if you pay more. In my case, a couple thousand more was suffieicnt. Albeit with highs that as cold, barren, harsh and lethal as the Patagonias. In their proper price category though, I fail to see any contenders in the retail space. Just a few internet direct alternatives I had considered, but ultimately dismissed on part of size, price, aesthetics, lack of casual reviews, and lack of more proven review history with publications that are paid by advertisers. (A pair of Salk speakers came very close however.) Sadly though, these Sierra-1s remain an icon for all but a tiny niche market--which at least makes for some esoteric bragging rights for those in the know.

Irregardless, I have very little to complain about. As many other reviews have waxed, the sound is clean, polite, neutral, yet still very detailed. To go significantly better, we're talking twice the price with small gains. The Sierra-1s set a rather high bar to measure up to.

If there was anything contentious about the Sierra-1s, I'd have to say they are about as sexy as a slick, aerodynamic brick with a blank face. So, to make them go faster, I ordered them in Piano Black; clearly the superior choice. I also set them on a pair of large manly metal stands that look out of place for a pair of small rectangles. Overall I think they look good, but nothing that can really be raved about needlessly at a fancy dinner party to the plebeians.

Then there is a bit about the high end sounds that I had read about. There is not quite the natural sparkle that you can get from some other speakers, even though the clarity and detail remain the same. Then again, I find that little extra sparkle about as comforting as watching some twit toss rocks at a killer bee hive I happen to stroll by. But some people like the killer bees--they feel it allows them to pursue that edge to be even closer to a natural source. I am not one of those that desires that sort of stinging closeness.

However, I really should talk more about the price, because that is the most astonishing thing of all. Those who are frugal and are not afraid to spend, yet still want high value should consider this speaker very strongly. No, the looks will not impress your frilly interior designer that drinks with pinky finger extended. No, they are not the end-all, be-all of sound quality. No, they will not impress you neighbor with more money and Bose products than sense. But they are damned good for the money, and just damned good irregardless. And I guess they are made into the US for those that are into that, but they are made in CA, so I'm not sure if that fully counts for some of you.

It's a good bookshelf that sides on simple and pragmatic reproduction of quality sound, at a good price, with good looks, and some honest to goodness goodness. It's hard to find a product that balances so many variables and trade-offs in such a competent manner, that it is something quite extraordinary.

Yes, I think I like them a lot. I bought them, so they are obviously the best.

I'd like to review the Rythmik F12SE I had bought at the same time as well.

In short, I feel I no longer have any choice for a sub in the same price category, thanks (or curses?) to Rythmik. That is all I'm afraid. No other sub has ever gotten rid of that gooey subby thickness that has plagued me. Strangely, I like to keep tapping on that aluminum cone to feel that weird resistance.

My final notes that I really should place first are that I had nothing but a good purchasing experience, and can wholeheartedly recommend the company and the products. Shipping too, was as humanly flawless as could be reasonable. All the items were undamaged, minus the courier service that seem hell bent on making all the outside box corners round.

My comparison equipment:

Speakers
• Sierra-1 with Q-plug B
• Thiel CS 1.6
• Monitor Audio Silver 9i
• Audioengine A5

Nearfield on a Computer (intended system)
• Peachtree Nova as source, fed digital data from a computer and a stand alone CD player.
• Rythmik F12SE Subwoofer.

Living Room
• Classe Integrated Source Amp. w/ CD player. (I forget what model it is--it's old)
• No sub here! (I'm not moving that thing across the house)