ROTEL RT-940 Tuners

RT-940

AM/FM Stereo Tuner - Dual Gate Mosfet Front - End Separate Power Supply Regulators

mjtab   AudioPhile [May 28, 2013]

A vintage Sansui was the best tuner I've owned, but the Rotel RT940ax is easily the best modern tuner I've owned, outperforming a DenonTU260, DenonTU660 and B&K TS108 which I had. It is slightly better than the TU660 in station reception, but it outperforms it in sonics, with greater clarity and frequency extension. The TS108 (rebadged Fanfare FT1) had worse reception and mediocre sound in comparison to the musically satisfying Rotel. I highly recommend it for a $100 used tuner.

John   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 20, 2001]
Strength:

solid mid-fi unit for $150

noisy signals, can't get distant stations well, local signals just OK

I wanted to like this tuner. I bought a Rotel amp and preamp (which I love) and I wanted to stay in the Rotel family. My mistake.

Reception of local powerhouse rock stations is OK, but there's enough noise and interference with this unit's reception that you won't want to listen to jazz or classical stations. Forget trying to get distant, hard to get stations, they're just not there.

I just bought a new Sony STR-SA50ES for $400. It's head and shoulders above the ROTEL 940. It's quiet, pulls in any station with even a distant signal. Bottom line: the 940 is a good unit for $150, a way overpriced unit for $350.

the gear:
Sony SCD-C333ES SACD
Synergistic / Alpha interconnects

Similar Products Used: Sony STR-SA50ES
HB   Audio Enthusiast [May 03, 2001]
Strength:

easy to use
captures signals predictably

unrefined signal interpretation

Nice tuner, but just doesn't quite cut the mustard. Easy to use, reliable, functional tuner. But the sound just sounds slightly unrefined and borderline harsh compared to other tuners I've used.(but better than many others) Still have an old yamaha t-85 that just blows this tuner away. Krell's tuner in their old receiver model blew it away. Have kept it because it is a reasonable tuner and it makes it easier to control my Rotel system remotely.

potey   Audio Enthusiast [May 21, 2000]
Strength:

Clean looking, Remote control, easy to program, Excelllent reception (with or without the antana - receiver sits next to an exterior wall).

I paid $320 for this unit - A bit spendy but seems to be in the industry standard price range.

I recently purchased the Rotel RT-940AX tuner to compliment my Rotel RA-985BX Integrated Amp and IBM 4408 Studio Monitor speakers. Previously I was using a 15 to 20 year old JVC tuner. Perhaps the extreme difference has biased me a bit, but this tuner is incredible! Even before I connected the FM or AM inside antenna wires the reception seemed near perfect. The unit received so well that it found every station being broadcast in this area (before the antennas were attached). I now enjoy listening to the radio once again.

I particularly enjoy the remote control feature and the ease of programming stations. Being matched with my amp I am able to use the same remote for both. For those out there needing to connect to the "Air Waves" and do not have a tuner, I highly recommend checking this one out.

Carl   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 17, 2001]
Strength:

Sound, remote

occasional bad reception

this is a great tuner it has lots of presets a very good remote and very good sound. On a good signal it sounds much better than cheap cd players and overal function is very good.

Tom   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 21, 2000]
Strength:

Sound, ease of use, size, remote and price

No RDS.

Tried out 2 diff. Sony tuners ( including new $550.00 unit), and others. This tuner sounds clear, detailed and better than the rest. One peak inside the chassis shows a large circuit board with plenty of build quality. I was disapointed in the Sony's when you opened up the chassis to find 1/4th the chassis used. More importantly is the sound and it is great, Stero broadcasts sound more defined. AM reception has been the best I've heard ( I do use the Terk AM Antenna which is a big help to any Tuner). Until and when digital radio is in full form you cannot go wrong with this unit.