Quad FM-4 Tuners

FM-4

(See reviews)

steveallen   AudioPhile [Aug 08, 2008]
Strength:

Big lifelike style
Excellent rendition,especially voices.
Easy to use and set up
Small,neat size

Like all good tuners,needs a decent aerial for best results/full quieting.

I purchased this fine Quad FM 4 tuner last weekend and spent a glorious few hours last Sunday connecting it up and scanning the airwaves,i must admit i am a bit of a tuner lover having five tuners in my collection from companies such ad Denon,NAD,Creek and Hitachi.
The mian reason i purchased the FM4 is that i have always wanted one in good condition,the fact that it had also had a recent service helped(This alone would have cost more then the purchase price!!!)
The tuner sounds wonderful with voices in particular having excellent articulation,allowing one to easily hear the ambience of studios for example.
Overall an excellent purchase that is highly recommended.

Customer Service

The tuner recently had a factory service,i should get many years of happy listening!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Hitachi ft 5500
Denon tu260L mk 2
Creek cas 3140
Nad 402
Werner   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 28, 1997]

I'll keep it short. This is a simple analogue FM-onlytuner with digital dial and 7 presets. With regards
to sound quality and reception it belongs to the
select group of classic real hi-fi tuners, which is
an achievement at its $800 or less.

Werner   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 28, 1997]

to sound quality and reception it belongs to the
select group of classic real hi-fi tuners, which is
an achievement at its $800 or less.

Yves   Audiophile [Jan 28, 2001]
Strength:

Simple to use
Stereo image
Neat size
Amazing build quality inside

Ideally needs an external antenna for best performance

I bought the 34/405-2/FM4 direct from Quad 15 years ago. Its given me good service over the years and still looks as good as new. Its not broken down even once. Sadly it has now largely been replaced by a Technics ST-GT1000 DAB Tuner but I shall not be selling the Quad!

I have seen many Quad components being ofered for sale second-hand at modest prices. Worth snapping up a clean model. Early models have DIN connects which are electrically better than phono/RCA connects. However, as DIN connects are not popular, these units should be even cheaper!

Check out second-hand adverts in the UK at http://www.loot.com

Michael   an Audiophile [Aug 08, 1998]

I purchased a pre-enjoyed FM-4 in excellent condition back in 1987 and still have it today. It's probably the last tuner I'll ever buy. I've been very happywith it and is a nice complement to my Linn electronics.

It does very well with strong signal local radio within a 20 mile radius.It's reception of distant signals (greater than 20 miles) could be better.

Michael   an Audiophile [Aug 08, 1998]

Gavin   an Audiophile [May 20, 1999]

I picked up my Quad used for $300 and have been very pleased for over 2 years now. The tuner does its best on local channels, not distant ones. However, the sound stage produced is excellent. Not a lot of tuners can set up this nice of imaging and detail. I like the small package and sensible clean design without any unnecessary features. I am using very inexpensive ($30) audio quest cable right now and if anyone could post suggestions of interconnects that work well with this tuner it would be appreciated.

simon stone   an Audio Enthusiast [May 25, 1999]

I purchased a Quad 306/34/FM4 set up a few months ago, I have been delighted with the sheer quality of the FM4, it gives a wonderful FM reproduction and ergonomically a marvel of design, easily the best tuner I have come across especially at modest second hand prices

Jerry Todd   [Feb 05, 1999]

Simply the best!

Bob Wu   Casual Listener [Oct 16, 2000]
Strength:

Soundstage, clever looking.

If the mid can be warmer

Like this tuner for its good soundstage. Good value for the money paid. Reason to change from MR67 due to the availability of tubes in MR67 but miss the warmth of mid that MR67 provide. Already ask the local distributer's engineer to add a RCA jack so can use with normal signal cable. Still looking for a MR78 to compare the sound quality.