Onkyo TA-2058 Tape Decks

TA-2058

3-motor, 3-head tape deck

Richard Graf   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 16, 2015]

This machine had to have been the PINNACLE of cassette tape decks. I bought mine used for $40 about three years ago. It has suddenly failed.

It does all functions, rewind, ff, AMCS in both directions. BUT it will not "play". It worked fabulously for a few years and I will not abandon it: I want to get it fixed.

A few years ago, someone asked about a factory repair manual for this unit. I have just ordered one on e-Bay, an original tech manual.

While I have skills in electronic technology going back 50 years, I am not confident in my own hands to do intricate work anymore. I bought the manual because if I find anyone who is willing and capable of repairing it, I want that person to have the manual.

Analog audio remains the BEST sound quality there is. Digital technologies destroyed something. Something that I have never been able to discern. But I still cherish the mellow and flowing sound of vinyl and the fact that the only "problem" with the analog systems is that you have to "rewind" the media plus the fact that "hardware" (meaning vinyl record pressings and commercial tape copying methods) that were too delicate to handle the abuse of most casual "users" caused part of the demise of analog audio. But today there is digital software that removes the "clicks" from the vinyl products!

One FACT that I only learned because after so many years of succumbing to DIGITAL, I went back to analog vinyl and my old cassette tapes that go back to the 70s. What I found was that a cassette deck as advanced as this Onkyo TA 2058, plus the eventual "metal oxide" tapes and "Dolby C" produced sound quality that digital CANNOT better.

I am not interested in even shopping for a "better" cassette tape deck. There is none. I want to have mine repaired.

moy   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 09, 2006]
Strength:

it looks superior and plays awesome sounds

If only there was a remote

I had some many cassettes and no way to listen to them but for 1 of our vechilces. Ihave many no longer made cassettes that I almost tossed them . I was not sure if thisa worked but for 2.99 I took a small gamble. It even makes my bose speakers to tv and stereo sound better . I wish I had the manual so I coul get full use of it. I want to mke cassettes and make CD's from tapes. If any of you know where I can download or purchase a manual I would be forever grateful. This was expensive in 87 . I am thrilled with it . I smiled when I saw you had reviews .written recently. I wonder if it would work with remotes that came with reciever, dvd,vcr and list the tape player on them?? I paid 2.99 for it

Similar Products Used: Teac
Bill Anderson   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 06, 2006]
Strength:

Sound quality, construction quality, reliability, ease of use, nice to look at.

NO remote, but that is so very minor.

Like others whom have written reviews on this wonderful component, I purchased mine new almost 20 years ago and have been recording and playing tapes since. Like my vinyl records and CDs, I play cassett tapes often. This machine has been flawless since day one and I have recorded many hundreds of tapes. When I record a CD, I am amazed at how incredibly close the sound of the tape sounds compared to the source. I am also impressed with the build quality and how easy it is to use. If you want or need a cassett deck, search one of these out;you will not be disappointed. Bye the way, mine is not for sale! I only wish that my new car had a deck in it instead of just an in-dash CD changer. Oh well, technology changes.

Greg Jones   AudioPhile [Nov 05, 2002]
Strength:

A great deck. Recording at least as good as the Nakamichi decks at half the price.

Like everything, it is soon outdated. Nice to look at though....

This 3-head 3-motor cassette deck about 15 years ago. It's part of Onkyo's Integra line. I bought mine for about $325 dollars back then. It is a great deck and loaded with features. It has Dolby B & C, HX Pro, logic transport controls, real time counter, autmatic bias sensors, forward automatic search, and LED meters. It makes great tapes. I purchased an Excellent NAD 6100 deck to record audiophile direct to disk vinyl records, and this Onkyo when CD's came out! It is a quality machine and has never been in for a repair.

Similar Products Used: NAD 6100
Oleg Pretetsky   AudioPhile [Feb 08, 2002]
Strength:

real-time counter accubias system (working of which is a mystery to me)

cheap construction, considering the audio quality... no remote, some buttons cheaply bend in when nearby buttons are pushed...

Great tapedeck. Very clean recordings... Quiet operation.... Very transparent recordings (still a tape though).. Audio aspects of this tapedeck are superb, the deck is a quality workhorse... built craftmanship however really shows the economical approach...

Similar Products Used: any other 3head/3motor tapedeck
Eduard   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 05, 2001]
Strength:

well balanced pleasant sound, autocalibration, 3 head record monitoring

no volume control on headphone output

great deck, what else is there to say, it beats nak easily

Similar Products Used: nak BX-2, onkyo TA-2070
Tim   an Audiophile [Nov 26, 1998]

this tape deck is an Integra model and is about 10 years old. You can only get it on the used market, but if sound quality is a MUST,
then this tape deck is a GREAT bet. They should go for about $100 used, (thats what i paid for mine), and the sound quality is FANTASTIC.
GET ONE OF THESE

Shad Small   Audiophile [Nov 14, 1999]
Strength:

Great sound; three heads; "Accu-Bias" adjustment allows for use of wide-range of cassette tapes; extremely well-made and reliable

No remote control, save through associated Onkyo equipment.

After nearly two decades of ownership, the Onkyo Integra TA-2058 continues to provide exceptional service. The deck used to be Onkyo's top-of-the line model.It is very durable and extremely well-made. The deck has three heads for off-the-tape monitoring during recording. With its Accu-Bias adjustments, the TA-2058 can be automatically set to compensate and maximize its recordings to get the best out of a wide range of cassette tapes. Recordings of compact discs made on the TA-2058 loose very little in the "conversion" to cassette tape, especially when metal tapes are used. I once compared one of the TA-2058's cassette recording with one recorded on a Nakamichi DR-10, and the Onkyo's sound was extremely close in quality to the Nak's. I guess its one big weakness is the fact that it cannot be operated by a remote control unless its connected to a associated Onkyo receiver or amplifier that has its own remote. When one considers the age and current used prices (less than $175.00))for which the TA-2058 can be had, versus that for, say, a DR-10, it becomes an exceptional buy. Do snap it up, if you're lucky enough to find one used. Onkyo's current product brochure doesn't even list a 3-headed cassette deck.

Similar Products Used: Sony and Akai cassette decks.
Bob   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 26, 1999]

I agree with Tim regarding this tape deck. I got mine new in 1987, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Just yesterday I played a tape after not using the deck for some time, and was amazed at the sound - it would be difficult to tell the difference between the sound of this deck and a CD, at least for casual listening, and if my experience is typical, you can't beat this kind of reliability. If you need a tape deck and you find one of these, buy it! Especially at $100 or so.

Ed   Audiophile [May 03, 2000]
Strength:

Quality of Recordings, 3-head/3-Motor Design, Elegance of design, Accu-bias feature

None that I can identify

An outstanding piece of stereo gear. I picked this piece up at a pawn shop in nearly mint condition for $35. Yes thirty five dollars. The owner of the shop even had the original owner's manual. My beloved Tandberg was showing increasing signs of being near its final useful days (wouldn't rewind or fast forward anymore), so I gave it to a friend who just had to have it. Tapes were useless to me at this point, since my wife's car has a cd player and my primary transport was a motorcycle. That all changed when I sprung for a Honda Accord EX with a cassette player. I got one of those adapters to play my Discman through it, but found the whole ordeal a royal pain. So while visiting the local thrift store, I picked up a used Sony deck that worked flawlessly. Problem with the Sony, was that I was used to the Tandberg sound. Their was no comparison to the sound of the tapes I had made on the Tandberg. So while visiting a local pawn shop, looking for vintage musical instruments and hifi gear, I spotted the Onkyo. I knew nothing about the Onkyo, but was intrigued by the elegance of the design and features. I new that a 3-head/3-motor deck was no entry level machine. A test at the shop showed all functions to work flawlessly. It played back perfectly, although I couldn't test its record function. When I asked what the owner's best price was on the machine, he asked me what I was willing to pay. I told him $35, and he shocked me by accepting it. He further shocked me by presenting me with the owner's manual.
I hooked it up to my extra Rotel CD player as soon as I got home and started recording. I was blown away by the record quality of this deck. I no longer miss my Tandberg. I think the Onkyo is a superior machine. The sound is at least equal to the sound of the Tandberg, and this machine has many features that the Tandberg lacked. I would stack the Onkyo up against any of my previous machines, including the Naks. Actually, I preferred the Tandberg to my Naks. This Onkyo appears to be rock solidly built. They don't make them like this anymore. This is a quality machine. Highly recommended. Buy one if you can find one.