Denon DRW-585 Tape Decks

DRW-585

Dual Well Cassette Deck

anand_balaji   Audio Enthusiast [May 09, 2002]
Strength:

Great recordings, amazing playback, solid soundstage.

Noisy mechanism ... why can''t they make lowcost decks with the same silent mechanisms that VCR''s have.

I was amazed by the sound quality during playback/recording. It brought new life into many of my older recordings. The soundstaging and instrument seperation is superb. This deck is a must buy at this price. It makes great recordings too, maintaing a wide sound stage and instrument seperation. Use the bias control carefully to really exploit the tape. Recordings with (Dolby C) are squeaky clean with full dynamics (which is odd for a deck at this price). My Nakamichi couldn''t make such dynamic Dolby C recordings!!! The overall recording quality comes very close to the Nakamichi CR3E. You''ll only make out the difference on a very high-end system

Similar Products Used: Nakamichi CR3-E Kenwood KX55
Hari Sreedhar   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 07, 2001]
Strength:

NIL

Noisy

I purchased this product only to match with my Denon AVR2800 receiver.

The quality of sound was initially very good. But After two months it started producing some tick, tick sound when played in the reverse direction on deck B. Later it started on Forward direction also. After a few days it started appearing for deck A too. Look like Denon shipped a DRW 585 with some bacteria !

Now I hate this product.

Similar Products Used: Kenwood, Sony
Randy Soares   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 06, 2001]
Strength:

Sound Quality,features.

Noisy operation.

Well..., lucky me.I get to be the first to submit A review on this great product.Call me a die-hard fan of the cassette deck,but i could never go with out one in my home. It maybe due to the fact, alot of the music i enjoyed when I was younger is Not available on CD as of yet,if ever.

I purchased the Denon DRW-585 a few months ago. It was the finishing touch to my system,and it may just be the last cassette deck i ever purchas again.And here's why..,

SOUND:
I found the over all sound of the DRW-585 to be better of all my past cassette decks that i have ever owned.It has revived life into some of my older cassettes with detail you just gotta hear for yourself.I was blown away by the sound it produced for a cassette deck. I never though MY music would or could ever sound as good as it did way back when.And recordings made off this unit are so true to the original recording it's hard to tell the difference from the original. even when recording off of CD's.there are thou's who may beg to differ,but like i said you gotta hear this unit for yourself.The sound maybe as good as it is due to the Denon AVR-3300 it is hooked up too.I tried it hooked up to my older Denon AVC-2800 and it still sounded great.I love the Fact that i can control the unit remotely.And with it's solid construction and features that realy count, your gonna love it too. the only thing bad i have to say about this unit, is it's noisy operation when fast forwarding,Rev,changing sides and so on. But the sound more than makes up for it's flaws. Needless to say the unit is now And forever married to the components listed below.

Denon AVR-3300,Denon DVM-3700,POLK CS350LS,POLK RT-7's,POLK RT-3's,Denon DSW-38(sub),Mitsubishi HS-U510,RCA 31" Home theater series,And how i got here:SONY INTW-250 webtv terminal. Monster Cable Ties all the knots.