AKAI GX-R99 Tape Decks

GX-R99

Zare V.G   AudioPhile [Nov 15, 2011]

Simply the BEST

Al Jones   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 14, 2003]
Strength:

features in general

rotary head

one of the smartest machines out there, still rocks like in the old days. it sounds many times better than any average minidisc up to sony jb940. i don't agree with so called "professionals" who says that akai is not in the same league with nakamichi, sony, pioneer etc. or maybe i should, akai is better in many regards. THIS MACHINE NEEDS PERFECT PARTNERS. we all know that you need to match your system to sound the way you want. i agree that mechanically is not quite up to expectations but i wasn't able to figure out a better combination to match features this machine offers with reliability. overall out of 100 points this machine deserves 90. the last advice, never listen to "experts", if you think you like the machine listen to your heart and buy it!

Similar Products Used: nothing like it
GM_Moon   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 13, 2002]
Strength:

Great sound, auto calibrate, computer control was WAY ahead of it''s time. Incredible discrete electronics, heavy construction, matching decks costing 4 times as much!

Very delicate mechanism, doesn''t precisely reverse the head every time, leading to incorrect tracking on recordings.

Have an Akai GX-R99, has a been a great sounding deck, just repairing the head positioner track now, any help out there, like a diagram to show me where the spring clip goes? Thanks!

val novak   an Audio Enthusiast [Nov 08, 1998]

Does anybody have any idea where I can by Akai GX-R99 or GX-9 in the USA or via Internet? Thank you

kleiduif   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 29, 2001]
Strength:

Mechanism, front layout, display

It's getting older

Whatever anyone may say here, this piece of equipment is one of the best there was.

What deck has 4 heads and 5 motors anyway????????????
No other deck has such a large and usefull display as the GX-R99, and I mean none.

This one should be in the "state of the art" museum.

Don't even go there, with your nakamichi, it has no use.

case closed.....

Ton Philippo   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 07, 1998]

This deck is an oldy to most of you. It was introduced in 1983 and gone in 1986/87. I bought it second hand a few years ago, because I find it the most amazing cassette-deck I've ever seen ( or had ). Some of the features are:- 4-head quick-reverse ( GX-heads )
- 5 motors ( 2 direct-drive motors, each for one capstan ,closed loop )
- Electronic tape calibration ( bias, equalisation and rec level)
- a gigantic big FL display with vu-meter ( swichable to peak level or mid/low, high ). Also it displays the MOL for manual record levelling
- Infrared remote control
- Golden cinch outputs
- A motorised opening panel on the front wich has all the keys for recording on it
- and lots more.

All these things on a deck from the year 1983!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This deck was really far ahead of his time, and if introduced now, I think it could still be a good competetor to new decks.
OK, the analog recording time is over, but I like my deck a lot, and I'll never ever would sell it.

asd studio   an Audiophile [Feb 01, 1999]

Sirs,
We have read the comments on the Akai GXR99 and we wish to point the follows :

As you understand we are professionals and we have seen and used a large number of Cassette Decks.

The Akai decks are fine for home use but for Truly continously professional use NOT....

We can assure you than when we use Akai for two months or three then a service is required because the dual capstans (closed loop capstans) get get wear every tow or thre monts only.

Ok for the Frequency responce, you can boost it up to 5 Dbs without distortingng, but again the sound have NO Ambience.

As for the specific Model GXR99 please beware for the Rotary head as this deck is Auto Reverse.

With this kind of deck the Frequency responce is not equal for both sides, I must explain that there is a big loss in high frquencies either in side a or side b, this is very common with Auto reverse decks.

Akai's deck are also very deligate and this can cause problems if you use the deck heavy.

I personally have used Akai since 1983 and I found them Ok but not for heavy use.

Now for Truly Quality please apply for Teac especially the C1 Model 3 Head now discountinued and for Pioneer decks which sound very very detailde and full blooded.

Sorry for my critics but as prosiinall I am I believe that I can give a VERY RESPONSIBLE ANSWER or COMMENTS.

I do not have anything against Akai, If you want to have an Akai go for Models like GXF95, GXF90, GXF80, GXF25 THE WINNER although is a two head Model but can work 24 hour a day Without any any problem, also the Legendary GX310, GX£10C 3 Head head.

zoltan   an Audiophile [Jun 08, 1999]

Regarding the GX-R99 i had one(silver).Just sold it for $30.God machine for the '80.Everlasting head(crystal),but synthetic sound without dynamic.You want state of the art?Than go TANDBERG TCD-910 the best cassette ever made...$10.000 or NAKAMICHI CR-7A,DRAGON,ZX-9...

Alex Pozdin   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 16, 1999]

I have had AKAI GX-9 I purchased in Japan in'85 and used it every day for 10 years. Great sound with proper Amp and extremely reliable. The only maintanance required was heads adjustment . Small defect was noise at line frequency when connecting headphones directly to tape recorder-but LINE ourput signal was pure.Overall performance- good.

George W. Klann   an Audio Enthusiast [May 13, 1999]

I owned a GX-R99 for several years, and enjoyed it tremendously, unfortunately I had sell due to circumstances beyond control. This machine made tapes that sound as good today as the day I recorded them. I really never had any problems out of it. If any body out here in cyber land has any leads on one of these great machines I would greatly appreciate a email GWK8650@hotmail.com .Mine was a black one and I would like another just like it.