JVC FS-SD9 Mini Systems

FS-SD9

19 watts with cherry speakers.

Dario P   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 27, 2002]
Strength:

Great look Compact Good sound quality

not great looking remote

Outstanding look... I am very pleased with the sound quality. I purchased a refurbished system and it looks perfect... only minor marks on the bottom of the speakers. Great value, I would recommend it to anybody

Similar Products Used: JVC Micro Sytem
joe masters   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 06, 2001]
Strength:

everything

can't wake up to random tracks on cd

excellent, excellent dorm room system. looks really cool. i have the fs-sd5 (the cheapest of the fs series), and it's exactly what i wanted -- a cd player, a good radio (comes with good antennas), an alarm clock (wake up to cd or radio), and it has an auxiliary input for my tv/vcr. and support for a subwoofer. yeah.

Similar Products Used: timex cd alarm clock, jvc fs-v10
Russell   Casual Listener [Jul 09, 2000]
Strength:

Styling/Appearance

Abysmal sound quality
Power

This product was an utter disappointment. I went to my local circuit city, tested pretty much all of their mini-systems, and at the time thought this sounded the best. I bought it online a few weeks later. I set it up in my room, and the first thing I heard was a VERY audible hissing sound in the back. I tried adjusting all of the cords, and the sound still persisted. I brought the rest of my family into the room and they all heard it too. I immediately called up the web site at which I had bought the system, and returned it. This system was a waste of money, and I do not recommend it for anyone. It does look nice though, so if your not gonna play any music on it, I fully recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Sony CMT-ex1
JVc Fs-8000
Charles   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 11, 2001]
Strength:

Style, sound, ease of operation

Would be easier to program if remote included numeric buttons.

This is cool stuff. The cherry speakers really catch your eye as does the main unit's low profile. It makes a simple statement without being obtrusive. Perfect for my living room. It will crank too if need be. I've got mine hooked up to an ARS108PS sub. JVC is unmatched at the mini execuitve system.

Similar Products Used: I've had a JVC FS-1000 for three years
Jarkko Kokko   Casual Listener [Mar 01, 2001]
Strength:

size, Styling, color, etc.

Lack of power, if you like to chance the speakers someday...

I had to chance my old system to this because lack of space. I had technics RDS-receiver and cd-player. Speakers were Jamo's studio 190.
I read some reviews from here before I desided to buy this system. I had little doubts agaist the speakers but when I got them home and started to listen, I could believe my ears. Sound was so clear and bass was filled all my expections and little over...This system is a wolf in a sheeps skin...

Nowhere Man   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 24, 2001]
Strength:

????

Very poor sound quality. Lack of power. Very outrageous B&W look alike stickers

What the hell JVC was thinking with this minisystem??? They put a sticker over each speakers so the drivers look like the one B&W use on their hi-end products (yellow kevlar cones) Do they really think it looks cool? I think it looks ridiculous. It's like someone who drives a 1983 DX Civic and put a Type-R sticker on it.

The sound is crappy, muddy with a no soundstage at all. No bass, bad quality high and mediocre vocals.

If you think this minisystem sounds good, it's probably because it's your first one and your new into music.

I received mine as a gift and return it the second day. I purchase a Sony minisystem instead. Sounds a little bit better but enought for the bedroom.

Similar Products Used: Sony minisystems, and REAL B&W speakers
Ohad Rotem   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 09, 2001]
Strength:

A very good sound,bass, good looking and cheap

low watt

the best deal that i had

Similar Products Used: no one
Patrick   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 03, 2001]
Strength:

Slick look, great sound, build, size

vulnerable flip top, some ergonomic niggles

Chosen for shelf in bedroom – Denon DM-30 was too deep to fit, Nakamichi too expensive. Impressed with weighty build and smart finish. Love the cylindrical speakers – real wood veneer and what look like kevlar drivers. Amazing for price. Paid AUD600 (about USD320) reduced from AUD750, and knocked out by sound quality for this money. Lovely airy, spacious sound with sweet highs, non-fatiguing, voices sound breathy and “in the room”, rock and dance tracks really pump. AHB-Pro circuit helps bass, but bass freaks will need a sub. Note the claimed 19 WPC is quoted at the rather disingenuous “10% THD”, in other words it manages 19 watts just before it explodes. However there’s sufficient punch for the intended duty. Tuner performance is nothing special – fairly harsh and transistory sound, so radio lovers should look elsewhere. I never use it so I don’t care.
Not sure about top-loading CD players – hard to keep out the demon dust. The glass flip top looks lovely but vulnerable to prying fingers – not ideal for parties or ham-fisted buddies. Low-profile design and flashing lights give it a fun spaceship look. Useful socketry – sub out, digital out and aux in although none feature proper RCA plugs, what do you expect. Clean neat styling, low button count, minimal features are all pluses with me – I hate fuss and gimmicks.
The display is dim and hard to read. Also when you switch it to clock it won’t stay there – if you change the volume, stop/start a CD etc it changes back to track display. This is very annoying. Also features 24 hour clock only, not 12H alternative. However the timer is easy to use. The remote has some confusing duplication of commands but you get used to it.
This is a beautiful-looking and thoughtfully designed little system with startling sound quality and useful features. I highly recommend it for the bedroom or office, but not for busy households, people with kids or dorm rooms. It’s no party machine, but if you’re careful with your kit, like me, it’s a winner.

Similar Products Used: 1993 Yamaha mini-separates system
Mike   Audiophile [Jun 25, 2001]
Strength:

Very stylistic set-up

None so far

I purchased this specifically to drive some in-ground patio speakers I have buried in the backyard. My Nakamichi amplifier would not fit into the cabinets in the house where the speaker wire entered from outside the house.

So, I was looking for an all in one unit which would primarily FIT into the available cabinet space and would drive the outdoor speakers to an acceptable volume. That's really all I wanted.

This unit fit the bill very nicely. As an added bonus, I will move the unit into my office during the winter and use it there. I like this unit alot already, and am almost relishing winter arriving so I can actually SEE the unit, which currently spends all of its time behind a closed kitchen cabinet door.

Similar Products Used: none
JK   Audio Enthusiast [May 12, 2001]
Strength:

compact, excellent sound for the size of system, blend in with decor

poor display and remote

Whelp, after hours on the internet, I decided to get this JVC fo my office...about a 12 foot by 12 foot cube. I have to work after hours and tired of listening to my horrible clock radio. The JVC sounds great...radio, CD...all excellent. I recently purchased a high-end Onkyo receiver with solid speakers...obviously this JVC is no match, but I don't want it to fill my entire home (or office building) with sound. It does what I wanted it to do.
On the down side, the display is, well, pitiful and the remote the same...but nothing is perfect. I'm a bit concerned that the mechanism which automatically flips open the CD player may eventually break (when you see it you'll know what I mean), but, otherwise, I highly recommend this compact system.
One final note...A couple of other people here have Bose Wave Radios...the JVC sounds 500% better and really takes up no more room (I was initially thinking of getting the wave radio for space considerations).