Toshiba SD2700 DVD Players

SD2700

· 10-bit 27mHz Video D/A Conversion with High Resolution Filter · ColorStream® Component Video Outputs · Enhanced Picture Modes · Horizontal Resolution: 500 Lines

normyw   Casual Listener [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

picture, sound, and remote

noisy, slow loading

Overall I'm pleased with the player. Sound and picture are excellent. The only problem I've had is occasional picture freezing, and I've discovered it is either one of two things; improper memory refresh, which requires a reboot or food on the dvd (too many young kids). Neither problem has been unsurmoutable.

Similar Products Used: Panasonic sp62
Scott F   Casual Listener [Dec 04, 2002]
Strength:

Good picture, supports component video, has all the standard features. Nothing to complain about until it died.

Defective power supply design, smallish remote.

Unit worked perfectly fine for about 15 months -- great picture, no problems -- then the power supply died. I was considering getting it fixed, until I read the reviews here and realized it was a pointless exercise, considering how cheap these players are now.

Skifreak   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 14, 2002]
Strength:

Ease of set up, good audio and video quality. Small cabinet.

Very poor reliability.

This is an update to my earlier review. In short, the performance of this unit is excellent for the money, when it works. For the second time within ten months the power supply has failed. The first time it cost me 65 dollars for the labor as the part was covered under warranty. This time I am going to shop for a product other than Toshiba. Based on similar experiences expressed by other reviewers, I would advise anyone to avoid buying this DVD player.

Similar Products Used: This was my first DVD player.
David Curtis   Casual Listener [Jun 27, 2002]
Strength:

It runs great when it runs.

faulty design in power supply makes this a looser machine.

This warranty from Toshiba runs only 1 year. Because this unit has a design defect, the power supply diode fails. I was very dissapointed to learn that I had to have it repaired withing the warranty period. I have friends who also bought this unit and the same issue about the unit dying. What happens is that the unit simply looses power. A quick check inside reveals that the fuse is burned. Replacing the fuse does not help because the power supply is fried because of a bad diode. I keep all my electronic equipment surge protected and most of it runs via a battery. This is a unit that I can not recommend. Buy the 2800 it does not have this problem

Similar Products Used: 2800 DVD player. This unit has the power supply issue fixed.
Aaron Snyder   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 05, 2002]
Strength:

Had performed flawlessly until power shut off. DTS decoder. Very stylish, shallow bookshelf design. Features of zoom, fairly easy remote.

The service to get the item repaired if under warranty. The remote could use a back light.

I have had this product for close to a year now. Up until recently, it had performed perfectly. As an owner of the previous series, 2200 DVD player, I thought how can I go wrong, the 2200 was great. The 2700 had all the connections you''d need, DTS, stylish as well. Then at 11 months, the power didn''t go on, seems simple enough to repair, WRONG!!! From what I have researched on this and other 700 series DVD players, watch it!!! It is a hit or miss big time. It has been 6 weeks and still nothing about when 1 little diode will be replaced. The place I purchased the unit, lets say, a high level audio store didn''t want to help. There first question to me when I brought it back was, "Did you purchase a warranty?" Give me a break, it broke under warranty! They said I had to take it to an authorized Toshiba dealer.. HELLO!!! That is why I bought it at this "Audio Store." You know, that you should buy from them and not a "Best Buy" So they sent me to an authorized dealer, Boscov''s. Let''s say that this authorized dealer isn''t representing Toshiba well. With this kind of service, they will be like K mart soon. Toshiba has great customer service and have been helpful to a point, Boscov''s, the local dealer.. questionable at best.. My recommendation is purchase the 2800 series. This problem with the power shortage has supposedly been resolved.. If I had no problems getting this fixed, it would''ve received a 4 star overall rating, considering the price and level of performance.

Similar Products Used: Toshiba 2200
gpower   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 04, 2002]
Strength:

Ease of setup. Excellent audio and video playback.

Remote not backlit.

I recently purchased a new model Toshiba SD2800 DVD player. This unit is replacing my older cd player and bringing me up to date with dvd. The 2800 was one of the simplest units to connect and setup, walking you through the extremely easy procedure with on screen menus. The remote, although not backlit, is well laid out and easy to use. The first thing I noticed when connected was the quality of the audio playback. Highs were cleaner and clearer and lows were much more clean and solid. The video picture, connected with s-video, is excellent, easily comparable to units I tested at much higher pricing.

Similar Products Used: Tested Sony DVP-NS400D, Panasonic S31K and JVC 85GL
strazz   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 18, 2002]
Strength:

Puts out some good sound when playing a DVD. Picture isn''''t bad also. Small size

Freezes way too often. Wave CD''''s and mp3''''s sound terrible.

This is a review of the Toshiba SD-2800. I bought this DVD player 3 days ago and to tell you the truth it is awful. It freezes for 2-3 seconds about 6 times a movie. The sound is good when playing a movie, but the sound when playing CD''''s is terrible. The sound is very muffled. The load times are way too long, especially when loading an mp3 CD. There is also a humm when the disc starts speeding up. One good thing in this experience was futureshops customer service. They were very compliant and understanding when I wanted to return the DVD player.

Dallas   Casual Listener [Mar 04, 2002]

Perfectly flat screen. Component, svideo inputs. Sharp picture, good sound for a 20''. Very satisfied.

Similar Products Used: wega
Dallas   Casual Listener [Mar 04, 2002]

Similar Products Used: wega
Doug   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 05, 2002]

UPDATE ON TOSHIBA SD2700 DESIGN FLAW I posted below that my unit had run into a similiar problem as several others posted on this site. However, I was under the impression that the unit was still under warranty, but the labor warranty was much shorter than I thought. Now they tell me that the parts needed to fix it are on "national backorder" and it won''t be fixed for about a month. There is clearly a design flaw in the power supply, which Toshiba will not admit to. Furthermore, the guy at the repair shop told me the unit was built by Samsung, and not Toshiba. I discourage anyone from buying this unit. Also, those who have had the problem, call Toshiba and complain, so they know this is a widespread problem.