Technics DVD-A10 DVD Players

DVD-A10

DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit/27MHz video DAC - 24-bit/96kHz audio DACs - Optical and coaxial digital audio output

89vett   AudioPhile [Jan 13, 2005]
Strength:

Sound,build quality,very reliable.

Does not read burned CD's,CD startup is slow.

This is a follow up review. I have now used this player for almost a year now and it sounds fantastic.I would also like to address one of the reviews that said this player does not have good CD sound.The opposite could not be more true. In fact in the November 2000 issue of Sound and Vision magazine they stated that the DVD A10's CD measurements were some of the best ever measured! I have a new Audio Research amp coming-D300 and it will be interesting to see how the sound changes. But this player sounds very lifelike, very detailed, and not overly bright or trebly. I have not had one problem with this unit! I have aquired 2 pioneer DVDCD players since I bought this unit and the DVD A10 still sounds better.And this player has a hidden volume control, so you can plug an amplifier straight into the player.Click the display button twice and toggle the joystick left and the volume menu will come on the player.

Similar Products Used: Various Sony,Denon, and Pioneer models.
89vett   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 17, 2004]
Strength:

Excellant detailed sound,build quality is also excellant.Fit and finish are first rate.Outstanding 2 channel DVD audio sound.Good remote.

Tracking is a little slow.That's all!

I am using this as a CD player only and I must say it sounds terrific.I am using analog outs.It sounds very detailed and presents the music in accurate form.I immediately noticed pieces of the music that I had never heard before.The sound is not overly bright.And the bass is very good.It is an excellant piece of equipment.I am using the DVD-A10 with an Audio Research SP6-b pre-amp,Audio Research D52b power amp,and Canton Ergo 32 speakers with a mirage subwoofer.

Similar Products Used: Various low end Sony DVD players.Old denon CD players.
Cihangirhan   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 08, 2004]
Strength:

PROS: -Excellent DVD picture quality (especially with LCD projector since projectors have internal de-interlacers to remove the interlaced signal problems. You don’t need a PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD player any more if you have a good LCD projector.) -Very good CD sound quality especially when RE-MASTER is turned-ON. -Lots of connections and internal DTS-DOLBY DIGITAL decoder. -Very heavy build and very high quality construction. Very silent operation. Resonance proof construction (well look at the bottom and feets; this is not a pricy high-end player but it looks almost!) -Good quality, fine looking remote unit, shining in the darkness (without light energy requirement). No zoom but joystic is very very good like playstation analog ones. -By audio only, turn off DISPLAY features, you just see smaaaal triangular PLAY light in the dark and sound quality is impoved -It was very cheap!

CONS: -Doesn’t like most of the CD-R (in fact plays some of the bootleg CD’s but… not a machine to spin pirates man! This is a classy machine for the man using original CD’s!). Forget CD-RW’s. -Doesn’t like COPY CONTROLLED CD’s at all. You hear hushes, pops, noises and turn of the unit. I think BMG and others are making CD’s causing troubles to anyone around. Future will be worse since lots of COPY CONTROLLED CD’s are getting around. -No MP3, No MULTIREGION compatibility. Well this is not a cheap universal player. This is for a Hi-Fi purist at an affordable price who already buy original CD/DVD’s from his country. -8.5kg (heavy if you wanna keep your back). -Nothing more!!!! :))))

It has been 2 years when I first bought this unit. This can be considered as the best DVD-A/V player at that price (not available any more! What about making protest emails to make Panasonic manufacture limited edition for that unit?). The first DVD-A player invented by Technics and sold around cheaply to make the format more popular. I think the price is a “lose money make the format popular” philosophy of Technics. How many CD players could you found weighting 8.5kg at this price? It is built to last! Built like a truck. Never skips due to extreme bass resonance of the room. It plays, plays and plays silently. Excellent built quality even some may call it a bit old fashioned. Hey just listen the sound when you load/unload CD’s man! This is not a plasticky piece of junk, this is a real precious metal, bullet proof CD/DVD player. This can be considered as a high-end built quality equipment. Never skipped any DVD for 2 years. Never made me disappointed with DVD’s.

Similar Products Used: Some other SONY, TECHNICS CD players but this is the first DVD player I own (I hope it will be the last one). I have seen many DVD players showing MPEG artifacts but this one doesn't show any MPEG artifacts on the screen at all!
kiperto   AudioPhile [Aug 16, 2003]
Strength:

Rock solid, last forevever build quality. Have yet to find a DVD that will give it problems

CD playback only so-so Won't play CD-R's DTS decoder wigs out on action films

I purchased one of these units to get into DVD- Audio just as the prices on the A10 sarted to fall. in over two years of using it as a DVD player it has never disappointed me. It is a bulletproof unit. As a netflix member since 2000 I have never had a disc it could not play. I must respond to the reviews about its CD playback. Compared to my NAD 512 used as a transport and a PS Audio DAC, the Technics is dull and lifeless, remaster or no. I gave up trying to listen to CDs on this unit in a few days. When listening in DVD-A you will immediately notice the difference in formats. I love to show off the difference between CD/DVD-A using the Buena Vista Social Club which I own in both formats. There is so much depth to the DVD sound its scary. It almost makes you angry at the purveors of "perfect sound forever" 20 years ago. If only recordings were more widely available in DVD-A. Other than its less-than impressive CD playback (my wife also agrees the dedicated CD setup is much better) I notice that when I play I a DTS disc through the decoder I get terrible distortion through the center channel on loud passages or in action sequences. Since my receiver does not have a DTS decoder I am limited to Dolby Digital. As I am moving to Japan in a year I will probably sell my unit or relegate it to bedroom duty and replace it with a Pioneer DV-656A because of its abilty to be hacked to play all-region discs. Not saying that I have been disappoined in this unit. DVD playback is excellent and it has never hiccuped. If you can still find one, jump on it.

74cuda   AudioPhile [Mar 03, 2003]
Strength:

20lb's of good quality components,2 power supplies,great build,it was truly state of the art.reliable.

no cd-r,if thats important,no longer "state of the art"

What can I say,its been a year and it still works great.I have two other dvd players,more expensive,and for music/dvd a,I usually use the technics.It really is better than even I thought.No cd-r could be a killer for some but I have about 700 redbook cd's so its not an issue.DVD-A is almost as good as the new 1k players.Naturally this player is no longer worth 1k,but at 2 or 3 hundred its better than a cheapo,less, its a steal.

Similar Products Used: yamaha s2300,denon 3800,onkyo800
flatso   AudioPhile [Dec 01, 2002]

Just want to say I used to love this unit but some of the newer DVD-A discs I purchased would not convert to mulitchannel playback and there is no firmware upgrade available per Panasonic customer service reply. The Technics/Panasonic site basically offers limited customer support for Technics products concentrating more on the Panasonic line, so buyer beware if you decide to buy any Technic products in the future. Not something I would expect when I make a $900 purchase.

jeff   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 21, 2001]
Strength:

video, lots I/O,Plays dvd audio, dvd video, cd

bass management, a little thin in the low end

I've tryed sony and the yamaha dvd players and they sound and the video was good. I was reading that the new format use coming out and one day replace the cd in the future, I mean the future is about 10+ years at the earlyest. The A10 is a fine unit and has lots of ins and out for all types of hook ups. The unit will play all types of disks and without any problems. With 2 power supplies the audio is very clean. The new format sounds great through this machine.The parts in the unit are high grade and looking inside the first generation player will always be a better built unit, due to the fact most new unit are simplified and dont put the full works of parts as they do to when any new format is design. The sound is more real to live than the cd does( due to the digital sound, harshness) that come with 16 bit 44.1k recordings. The soft ware is slow but more and nore titles are poping up now .The only bad thing on this unit and most(95%) of the dvd-audio unit ......you have to , to get the 6 channel 24bit 96k sound is through the 6 channel inputs of any receiver, or prosesser and if you read about dvd-audio in magazines its because of the copy-rite problems from the past so you cant decode through the digital outs(opt)and get a true high resalotuion sound, but one day they will........so to cut the story short this unit has the sound and formate to make any music and moives sound like your there..........And by the way this unit went for about less than a year ago for $1199, and you can find it on live for as little as 399. and its worth the price to pay for a good dvd player and audio player. Its spec are rite on the nose and it falls on as a high end unit for low end price

Similar Products Used: Yamaha dvd796, sony dvp 530,sony dvp 570
Thomas   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 23, 2001]
Strength:

Good multi-talent player for an excellent price

A bit slow while moving from track to track

I am right now taking the time to post some reviews after setting up my video/audio system in the last 5 month. This forum helped me a lot in deciding on the right pieces - thanks to everyone.

I think the Technics A10 is great value as a do-it-all player, especially with the recent price drops. I use it for CDs, DVD-Videos and -Audios; it does a great job on all accounts. While there are better players out there for each source category, I doubt there is a better overall value.

I really enjoy listening to DVD-Audio's a lot - the terrific Beethoven Symphony suite (all 1-9) conducted by Daniel Barenboim alone justifies getting a DVD-Audio player. Since DVD-A is just in its infant stage, I would not yet spend a fortune on a player while the technology is still evolving (currently no bass management and digital output on any player I know of). Therefore, the Technics is an excellent choice as a first taste into DVD-A while also performing well on CDs and Videos.

My system consists of B&W Nautilus and CDM speakers driven by a B&K AVR 305 Receiver. All products, I am very happy with.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer DV-333
Walter Kowalczyk   Audio Enthusiast [May 02, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent built quality. Great sound with CDs and DVD Audio. Very good picture with DVDs.

No progressive scan. Bass management.

I am fed up. All these people who do not even own the product yet they do everything to belittle it. I don't know what's wrong with all these SACD fanatics. We know that you don't like DVD-Audio. That's fine. But you do not have to post bogus reviews claiming imagined weeknesses in DVD-Audio equipment that you have never owned or even seen. Greg below is a perfect example. I can say only this: guys get a life. As far as Techics DVD-A10 is concerned, it is a very fine CD player, an excellent DVD-Audio player, and a very competent DVD player. It is built like a tank and at this price it's a steal. The more I use it the more I like it. By the way, I have not experienced harshness with remastering. I actually tend to prefer it. Nor have I experienced any clicking. Is it better that Sony SACD players, I do not know. There is no way to make a miningful comparison since there is no single piece of software available in both formats. Only then one would be able to do a meaningful comparison. You can hardly go wrong with this player. Even if DVD-A does not catch up, you will still own a very good CD/DVD player. I've been hearing for months that Sony is going to come out with a $400 SACD player but so far I haven't seen it. As long as that has not happened Technics DVD A10 remains the best value. It is as simple as that.

Similar Products Used: Sony and Technics CD players.
Anoop   Audiophile [Nov 14, 2000]
Strength:

Sound, build

slow

I love it.

Looks great, sounds even better.