Sony DVP-S300 DVD Players

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 12, 2015]
Buddy Meeks
Audio Enthusiast

I bought the DVP-300 new from Crutchfield i 1998. Used it for many years as my main movie player until Blu-ray debuted. I boxed it up and stored it away. I recently brought it back into my analog/stereo set up as a CD only player. It still still sounds as good as when I bought it. Never had any problems with it. Sounds fantastic as a stand alone CD player.

[Sep 26, 2011]
Kurt
AudioPhile

For a DVD player that is 13 years old it still plays good. This was Sony first generation of dvd players that came out in the late 90's. What makes this dvd player bullet proof is the dual optics design (for playing cd and dvd) and the brushless spin motor which is too expensive and unheard of by todays standards. I use to work on these back in the day and it was rare to have a first generation of dvd player come in our shop. And when they did come in it was mostly for bad pickup assembly

[Oct 18, 2008]
GM
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Best DVD player ever. Have owned and used it exclusivly for the past 10 years and it's still going strong. 1000's of dvd's and hours put on this thing. Playes everyting thrown at it dvd, cd-r etc.

has gotten a bit nosier (dvd spining) and lip-sync goes on dvd's every 1 in 50 payed but all is needed is to press stop and play again. Seems the laser starts to stray? Not big issues for a player this old and amount of use on it.

Awesome player that has gotten me through 10 plus years and going strong. Going to purchase Sony Blu-ray, hoping it's will be as good.

[Jul 09, 2007]
Carlos
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

None found, very unhappy with DVP-S300.

Does not always play purchased DVDs reliably. Has problem with DVD-R Disc. Will not play DVD+R or DVD-DL.

I must have gotten the worst DVP-S300 unit compared to the great reviews in the forum. Internet search found many users of S300 with my similar problem: "no disc error", C:13:00 error and other DVD playback problems. I tried the diagnostics menu adjustments which hasn't improved playback reliability. Replaced S300 unit with a Panasonic. I will never buy another Sony unit.

Customer Service

Customer service needs fixing.

Similar Products Used:

Sony was always my first vendor, not any more.

[May 17, 2006]
slamma
Casual Listener

Strength:

plays all disc whether purchased or burned cd/dvd/dvdr/dvdrw

none found

my first big a/v purchase and it still works bought it when my oldest daughter now 11 was baby and three more daughters later (4) still plays everything even after the drawer being pushed in by little hands, peanut butter on the display and remote and countless disc being put in upside down. I LOVE IT AND WOULD BY ANOTHER IF I FOUND ONE!!! SONY WAS THE "BOMB"

Customer Service

never had to call

Similar Products Used:

sony viao laptops and some desktops pc's

[Jul 10, 2005]
1bad70nova
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Tough as nails, doesn't freeze or have glitches like many of the new stuff out there no matter the brand. Easy to reset if the unit does have trouble with a scratched disc.

Won't play DTS, but this came out before it was introduced, sounds great anyway!

I had bought one of these when DVD was first introduced and this still is the best player ever made. I recently found a 2nd player on eBay for $35.00 (without a single mark or blemish) and had to snatch it up. These things just don't stop playing and sound just as good as many high end new units. Yeah, it doesn't play DTS, but what the hell, it is one damn good piece of equipment! I just wish Sony would make stuff this tough again, too bad they don't! Plays CD's very well, some may say it doesn't play as well as a traditional CD player, but it comes so close it's tough to tell.

Similar Products Used:

Only unit I ever had, will need, or use...

[Oct 14, 2002]
Jay Robinson
AudioPhile

Strength:

Easy to operate

ALWAYS skips even after cleaning

I bought this DVD player because of the previous repect I had for Sony products.

Sony trintron TV, Sony Tuner, Sony CD turntable

[Aug 03, 2002]
The Royal One
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great picture quality and sound!

NONE...

GREAT!!!!!!! Even though outdated it does one HELL of a job still after all these years!

Sony DVP-S360

[Jul 04, 2002]
The Royal One
AudioPhile

Strength:

Great picture and sound!

None

Extremely good player! Never had a single problem with it since buying it!

Similar Products Used:

Sony DVP-S360-No problems with this unit since day one either! Maybe I'm just lucky!!!

[Jun 26, 2000]
Brett Valentine
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Solid performance, plays cdr's, PLAYS DTS !!

No component video outputs

I've had this DVD player for several years, and it is still the best. I replaced it with a Toshiba SD-2109 last year because I wanted component video outputs. I put the Sony in the kids room, and figured that was that. Well, the Toshiba isn't worth the box it came in. This Sony has a better picture with S-video than the Toshiba with component outputs. Also, It DOES work with DTS!!! I was hesitant to retrieve my Sony S300 from the kids room because i had already bought several DTS disks. A friend and i were talking, and his opinion was that if the DVD player was passing a bitstream to an external decoder for processing, it shouldn't matter what it was. Well he was right. I connected the S300 to my Sony STRDA333ES, and popped in The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DTS CD. It sounded great! Next came "Saving Private Ryan" in DTS, same great sound! I have my Sony back where it belongs, and the kids get the Toshiba.
I almost feel guilty.