Pioneer DVL-919 DVD Players

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 11, 2003]
frankie1
AudioPhile

Strength:

When it came out it had 24bit 96Khz which with my dvd audio discs i can take advantage of this now. Players both sides of the laser disc, with out me getting to play the B side. Sound is very good and the AC3 will blow you away MUST to own for collectors, will be worth alot in time, just watch and see.

Only 1:.......... The picture output is out dated not the best picture in todays world and it is a shame that R & D could not develop a dvd player that can be improved via software, but that will be to easy...........

I am very lucky i already own a DEnon A1 dvd player, and when i was asked to take this DVD laser player, while i said yes... I use it to play many of my laser discs and find the pioneer very easy to use and set-up.

Similar Products Used:

Tried many Laser players, but none are any way as good as this one....

[Jan 28, 2000]
mark Sanne
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Plays ALL disc-formats (Pal LaserDisc, NTSC LaserDisc, PAL DVD, NTSC DVD, CD-Video, CD-I, Video-CD, CD, it's region-free, S-video, Legato-link audio conversion, Euro (SCART) connector, Digital optical, coaxial and AC3-RF outputs. You name it, this thing can play it all! (Well exept for SACD and DVD-Audio ofcourse). Also it plays Home-Recorded / rewriteable CD's very well. I think it is different from the US models, since it has some features the US model does not have.

This fantastic machine is great for us Europeans, only thing is the colour: only available in champagne-gold and I wanted it in black, since all my other components are black.

Well built (HEAVY!) machine which probably will be the last LaserDisc player I'll ever buy. The digital frame memory is a nice added feature for LD's & CD-video discs. Finally it's also possible to freeze the image on non-CAV LD's. The analog sound through Pioneer Hi-Bit Legato Link is good, but not better than a single CD-player priced at about 350 Euro. Nice thing though is that all the outputs are gold-plated, and I definitly have no complaints about the digital output-sound quality. My Sony STR-DA50ES AV receiver makes it all very life-like!
Oh, I almost forgot; I own a couple of the very first released LaserDiscs, which were then called LaserVision. On these discs the sound is stored analog-only and most recent LD-players (my previous ones for example) could not play this ancient sound-format. The DVL-919E does! Not that it's important, but quite nice to have one player who does it all!

I'm happy!

Pioneer CLD-1850 & Pioneer CLD-950 PAL/NTSC LaserDisc players

[Jan 31, 2000]
MH
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Video performance superb. PCM audio above average for a DVD player. A true Jack of All Trades.

Takes forever to boot up a disc, but then don't all DVD players?

I have this connected to a 61" progressive scan projection tv via its component video hookups and the picture is so fabulous I can't stand to watch LDs anymore; although, as a LD player, this one's as good as they come. All my LD collection is comprised to concerts anyway; sometimes I just play them w/ the tv turned off.

While slow to boot up, once it shakes hands with a cd, it skips between tracks as quick as a dedicated cd player; this is not the case with most dvd players.

What's the deal with the jog-shuttle knob? Mine has one and I've never needed to use it.

Poineer LD players

[Jan 04, 2001]
Ken W.
Audiophile

Strength:

Laser Disc and DVD playback

Have had the machine a short while but really enjoying it.

The only problem i've experienced is some freezing and jumpiness in two of my DVD's - James Taylor (Beacon) and Green Mile (Tom Hanks). Green Mile actually locked up player and had to restart movie.... anyone have similiar experience?? is it the player? or the DVD??

Picture quality is great using Component Video cables into Sony Wega 32".... glad i got it since i can now still make use of my LD collection....

4 stars - only because of the two DVD problems i've had....

Pioneer LD player

[Mar 18, 2000]
Peter
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

As a combi-player supports most formats, quiet operation, excellent picture and sound.

None

Great combination LD and DVD player!

Read the review on the European model, wish I had all those features, but I have the American version which stays in NTSC Region 1.

I look primarily for sound and video quality and have not been disappointed yet.

Paired it with a Yamaha RX-V995 for real dynamics and clarity.

Got mine for $550. If you can get it for less than $600, go for it - you will not regret it!

[Mar 04, 1999]
rc
an Audiophile

An elegant piece of work. Gold finished.Works well with my home theatre system.
Has virtual surround, legato conversion, DD, DTS and PCM.
Though the four in one (DVD, LD, CD, VCD) function is a bit crowded, its performance still surpasses many others. Better interconnects could solve the problem.
Highly recommended for above average audiophile.

[Sep 22, 2000]
Tom Williams
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Plays DVD/LC/VCD/CD, easy to use, plays both sides of LD

No built-in Dolby Digital or dts decoder, no 5.1 outputs

This is a GREAT DVD/LD/VCD/CD player. I bought this unit because my old Pioneer LD player (CLD-M301) died and I decided to get a combination player (if any existed) so I could enjoy DVD and LD and this unit has worked out VERY well. Movies I have on LD that are not yet available on DVD (like Jurassic Park) I can enjoy especially since I added the Pioneer RFD-1 RF demodulator to my system (for my AC-3 5.1 LDs). I haven't had many problems with DVDs. A few problems were caused by dirty DVDs. I now wipe the DVDs before playback and occasionally use the Allsop lens cleaner to clean the lens and MOST of my playback problems went away. The only DVDs that give me problems are Galaxy Quest and the beginning of Hellraiser II (the part that shows the logo of the company that made the DVD). Outside of these two DVDs, I have'nt had playback problems.

I connected my DVL-919 to my Pioneer VSX-24TX receiver and I almost feel like I'm at the movies! (I have a 20" TV)

I know I paid TOO much for this unit, but that's my fault because I didn't do a very good job of shopping around before I made the purchase.

Picture and sound quality are EXCELLENT and I'm even impressed at the speed at which the player changes sides on an LD. For some reason I thought it would take longer than it actually does. The side change process is a little noisy, but since it doesn't take long it's not that bad.

If you have a LD collection and want to try DVD, this is a GREAT unit to get especially if you can get a good price.

Pioneer CLD-M301

[Nov 19, 1999]
Dave Jones
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Versatility

Can't have color S-video and component color output at same time. Must set 16:9 aspect with a DVD in player.

I upgraded from a 7 year old Pioneer LD player and this player clearly sounds and looks better. DVDs on my new Pioneer Elite 53" 16:9 set are filmlike. LDs look excellent but not quite up to DVD quality. I highly recommend this unit to anyone with LD/DVD collection. It has plenty of outputs for maximum flexiblity. I've had Pioneer receivers, CD players, LD players for years and never once had a failure.

none

[Nov 15, 1999]
Scott
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent LD picture, plays all media

somewhat pricey

I was purchasing my first DVD player, while upgrading my LD player. This is an excellent compromise. Although you can purchase better seperates (this is based on the 414 dvd player and the 704 LD player I believe, this is a great product if you have limited space.

[Nov 20, 2001]
GDO
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

DVD/CD/LD capability
quality sound and picture
24-bit processing, DD, DTS
complete connectivity, including AC3

looks like i paid too much...
had to replace first unit delivered

i bought this unit when it hit the streets, thus paid full retail... and so what?; it's a great player.

this unit is for those who have amassed a serious collection of laserdiscs... it is the only one of its kind insofar as it's a complete multiplayer with 24-bit decoding and current surround processing, a must if you don't have a receiver or pre/pro that does the decoding.

i got it with the intention of replacing the elderly LD3030, as the final ld player i'd ever have, but the big surprise was the musicality of the cd player... astonishingly better than my rotel RCD955AX... sweet, warm, detailed.

was at first underwhelmed with dvd in general, but in the last couple months, i finally added a newish digital surround receiver (rendering the good DAC's of the 919 moot) and proper component video cables, and can now confirm that the dvd section of the 919 is as topnotch as everything else... video quality of both dvd and ld is terrific.

it is a killer source component!

but it wasn't without problems... the first unit displayed some of the video jumpiness described elsewhere on this page... intermittent problem was difficult to trace; unfortunately this meant 3 trips to the hapless service center, some polite complaining, and finally a replacement unit and time spent scrutinizing it... but it was worth it.

i repeat... it is a killer source component!

perfect for those who own lots of laserdiscs... look for $6-700 pricing... otherwise, spend that kind of money on a prog-scan dvd player... or better yet, a dvd recorder can make that cumbersome laserdisc collection disappear!

pioneer LD3030